Free bush lessons.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
what triggered biomechs then!! :p

Sub-Lesson #2 It always snows on Christmas Day Morning tick (even if the sky was super clear at Early Hours tick)!

P.S. - dimitar shall be back to give lessons!!

Max

Garden Designer
New lesson!

It is worth pointing out that you get massively reduced AR gains when you kill yourself attacking / defending your PNAPs compared to getting killed at home.

By massive I am talking about close to an order of magnitude difference.

Consequences: if you want an AR boost, don't try to get it be zeroing yourself attacking! You will gain it much more cost effectively by just losing troops at home instead :)

Yochoko

Head Gardener
in regards to the previous posts,

Sub-Lesson #3 A massive mob composed of (either pure or composition of) NLD/NLT/INN sent to a solo won't trigger SAS (if it's not too big, just police and riots), but will trigger Biomechs.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
while waiting for the useful and more PRO-tip type of lessons given by Dimitar (or others), i continue with my "you can play bush without knowing about it" type of lessons. :X

Sub-Lesson #4 If you are tired of seeing "smeg" everywhere in the mails you receive instead of appreciating the art of swearing words, please go to:
Your Account/ID --> ID settings --> Word Filter Disabled (Politics, Mail etc.) - here, you check the little square and you are all set! :D

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
Lesson #2 is incorrect. Rangers are definitely not epic. A jack of all trades route pretty much bans any unit in that route from being epic ;) It's not a terrible route, but it's not a great one. Does a number of things okay, but nothing really exceptionally well.

To re affirm that lesson two is indeed correct I turn you to a recent battle report. Note the harrier heavy set up of, in this case, RSF. Note the mass arsonists preventing poms from firing. Hence also note that due to this, the layers or rpg/pom striker/sa we're rendered less effective vs large robotic incomings.

Now turn your attention to the harriers. Firing both after sa/vamps but before tl/cw. This niche is what helps make them epic. When used correctly an arsonist route can allow any health based lethals to flak armour, and not die until vampires/sa fire. Which in turn means your RPGs (as is always the case) and strikers (thank you arsonists) now are less effective and do not kill armour as well.

In short the point is by firing as and when they do. Harrier are the best armour damage unit to fire in big battle reports when there is both armour health based flak and arsonists present. Sorcs although potentially useable for this end become far less effective due to masses of flak that higher ranked alliances tend to send when massing. This niche although not epic in it's own right, does make the harrier useful beyond just a nice rush/anti rush support unit. These combined effects and benefits along with the rest of the route may render the route 'epic'

Though arguably any route used effectively can be epic.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
That requires an arsonist which is a rare route. Although increasingly popular. Rangers by themselves are tremendously mediocre as a route. One big meh. This route is not epic. Especially not for new players.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
I just wanna point out that in the correct hands a harrier/let flak setup can do wonders it has its disadvantages but it can also turn you into one big threat...

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Lesson #2 is incorrect. Rangers are definitely not epic. A jack of all trades route pretty much bans any unit in that route from being epic ;) It's not a terrible route, but it's not a great one. Does a number of things okay, but nothing really exceptionally well.

To re affirm that lesson two is indeed correct I turn you to a recent battle report. Note the harrier heavy set up of, in this case, RSF. Note the mass arsonists preventing poms from firing. Hence also note that due to this, the layers or rpg/pom striker/sa we're rendered less effective vs large robotic incomings.

Now turn your attention to the harriers. Firing both after sa/vamps but before tl/cw. This niche is what helps make them epic. When used correctly an arsonist route can allow any health based lethals to flak armour, and not die until vampires/sa fire. Which in turn means your RPGs (as is always the case) and strikers (thank you arsonists) now are less effective and do not kill armour as well.

In short the point is by firing as and when they do. Harrier are the best armour damage unit to fire in big battle reports when there is both armour health based flak and arsonists present. Sorcs although potentially useable for this end become far less effective due to masses of flak that higher ranked alliances tend to send when massing. This niche although not epic in it's own right, does make the harrier useful beyond just a nice rush/anti rush support unit. These combined effects and benefits along with the rest of the route may render the route 'epic'

Though arguably any route used effectively can be epic.

You have done an admirable job of listing the qualities of the HARRIER unit. The original point was purely about the ranger unit.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
That requires an arsonist which is a rare route. Although increasingly popular. Rangers by themselves are tremendously mediocre as a route. One big meh. This route is not epic. Especially not for new players.

I'd happily debate this further in personal message or a new thread. But it is showing a lack of poms and lack of layers of armour damage after the weaker flak has been swept. This is not purely to do with arsonists. It was just the enemy used them. The point still stands if attacking without poms. Or if you only have a few players in an alliance or solo group

The harrier fires after sa/vamp which is useful, to do armour damage after a sweeper. A sweeper that should always fire. Hence the harrier has the ability to specifically target armour units in a big battle (the armoured units being the ones that survive if any due to not being stripped enough) just like how sa/assassin combo is used to kill strikers that lack marines. The epicness of this is up to your opinion, but it sure is better than the alternatives hooligans/hippy vans/sorcs/cw. The ability of one player to use the route should not effect the potential of the route. Please don't just focus on the example I gave but use it to further your understanding

Toby I may be wrong I infered dimitar saying that rangers are epic as the entire. And further to that Alcibiades called it a jack of all trades route. I focused on one unit in a route, but is that not what every one does?

LuckySports

Landscape Designer

I'd happily debate this further in personal message or a new thread. But it is showing a lack of poms and lack of layers of armour damage after the weaker flak has been swept. This is not purely to do with arsonists. It was just the enemy used them. The point still stands if attacking without poms. Or if you only have a few players in an alliance or solo group

The harrier fires after sa/vamp which is useful, to do armour damage after a sweeper. A sweeper that should always fire. Hence the harrier has the ability to specifically target armour units in a big battle (the armoured units being the ones that survive if any due to not being stripped enough) just like how sa/assassin combo is used to kill strikers that lack marines. The epicness of this is up to your opinion, but it sure is better than the alternatives hooligans/hippy vans/sorcs/cw. The ability of one player to use the route should not effect the potential of the route. Please don't just focus on the example I gave but use it to further your understanding

Toby I may be wrong I infered dimitar saying that rangers are epic as the entire. And further to that Alcibiades called it a jack of all trades route. I focused on one unit in a route, but is that not what every one does?

The ranger route is great for big battles.. Period. Harriers die like flies, but as you said their initiative puts them in perfect position to do some cleaning. Just like RPG/Pom clear the way for striker/SA to fire.

And then you have rangers themselves, hard enough to kill, do pretty decent damage, and target PURE lethals, they can really change the sway of a single battle. Personally, I prefer to attack alone, and rangers are decent for that as well, with their armor, but a good stripping/killing combo can wipe them out quickly enough.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Please take a look at the BR being used to examplify, and I took 2T damage overall. The big losers were the TL, and Mini's mass of TD.
I dont rate Harriers that much at all - But respect Arsonists enormously.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
CG are awesome at round start for raking in land. However they are most effectively countered using hippies (which get around 0.9 on CG).

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
Please take a look at the BR being used to examplify, and I took 2T damage overall. The big losers were the TL, and Mini's mass of TD.
I dont rate Harriers that much at all - But respect Arsonists enormously.

fair enough if thats your opinion i dont want to derail what was a fun thread further comparing opinions. but would like to add you had like 120m tl fire and had 100m armour in the first place, iirc, therefore of the 70m harriers? that that fired. less than half would be targetting you, so i'd say they did a bit less damage to you than thier own value. compared to an rpg that takes 2.8? to kill a cw, its not too bad on the damage for cost ratio, its a similar ball park to an rpg (little weaker). As you were quite heavy CW iirc, and they do fire after SA. if we had killed all the TL with our sa/vamps. the harriers would have hurt you a fair bit more i'd say. and cost for cost were more effective than if that had been the same value of rpgs firing with the 200m tl (or w/e it was) still flaking you before sa/vamp fired

Still like i said before GG. nice use of arsonists. very effective, and impressive. still think the harrier can be very useful in battles and does make the whole route pretty useful to an alliance for attack and defence. So imo should be seen as epic, due to it being the only route that can do what it does effectively, and directly.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
apaches do almost zero armour damage. Thus they can be flakked extremely easily by CG (however, beware of grenadiers). They also get very poor ratios on geo-phys thieves (less than 1:0.2 on geos).

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
A unit cannot lose any health until all it's armour Is gone. This is why heavily armoured units tend to survive best in large battle reports.

Nb. A unit will only die when all it's health is lost.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
As an additional to Willy's tip, a non-LET unit can armor strip for an LET unit. This is why hooligans are so useful.