Spies

TehPantz

Head Gardener
Tbh it does suck when people spy. I dont see the need for it really, especially with the lower playerbase and evertying.

BUT I don't think its the end of your round or anything so dramatic if you do have a spy. If it happens deal with it and get over it and try and make sure you think more carefully about who you recruit in the future.

Though I agree with Davs that Toby takes the cake on this one, Pinpower expresses my own views nicely.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
lol, Toby wins

Also, very good metaphor Alvestein. I know it sucks, but really, there is nothing to be done but pick yourself up and power on.

If people spy on you, it's your own fault.

it's your own fault for recruiting them.

Bullsh*t

No-one recruits a spy deliberately. That spy could have easily been recruited by any other alliance, and its likely that they specifically applied for an alliance they wanted to bring down.

Why dont you tell us how to spot a spy? Oh wait you cant. Now gtfo

Alvestein

Garden Designer
lol, Toby wins

Also, very good metaphor Alvestein. I know it sucks, but really, there is nothing to be done but pick yourself up and power on.

Bullsh*t

No-one recruits a spy deliberately. That spy could have easily been recruited by any other alliance, and its likely that they specifically applied for an alliance they wanted to bring down.

You could always only recruit people you know well. oh wait, that'd kill the game.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
lol, Toby wins

Bullsh*t

You could always only recruit people you know well. oh wait, that'd kill the game.

But you'll never get around having to start somewhere, to find that group you are comfortable with?
I've ran two alliances, and I've had spies - Big deal. You move on. You can't break down and end your own life as a response to how utterly devastated you would be by it.
All the same - I'm entitled to my opinion, spies will always exist, you may not like it, but I don't think they'll stop just because you're having this intellectual chat about who's more accurate.

Amanala

Harvester
that's a load of crap. why should we have to stoop to such low levels? that's like saying if one person started kicking people in the balls, those people should then go around kicking other people in the balls. and i personally don't think everyone should kick everyone in the balls.

/balls metaphor

what does QFT mean?

Firstly it's not a metaphor, and secondly, if you think that's an apt analogy, you're a total moron.

Bullsh*t

Uh yeah. It's still your own fault. Be careful when you accept someone into your alliance, duh. Don't accept people you don't know or can't trust. It's pretty bloody simple really.

How would it kill the game? Huh? Oh wait, it wouldn't? K.

---> The bit I love the most is you all complain about the spys, but you're generally happy to use their information.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
---> The bit I love the most is you all complain about the spys, but you're generally happy to use their information.

youre wrong, allot of people say screw you guys, no intel lists untill spies are out. and if i would be in an alliance that would use them i would leave them.
within a second.

Tapeyy

Pruner
I say this as someone who doesn't much care about where he finishes. Spys can be great fun, if your alliance is any good they will stick together until everyones id lists are out. sure you will be a little/a lot lower than you should be but in exchange you have much easier assess to land to recover, not that land is particularly hard anywhere, nothing better than moving up the ranks. far better than a round where you have had it quiet easy just had the normal incoming and just sit in one spot for half the round waiting for the resistance to finally decide they have failed before you can do anything remotely fun.

Not that spying is right, but if you are in a good alliance it really shouldn't ruin your round even if you do finish abit lower than you could have if it didn't happen.

Stegosaurus

Pruner
that's a load of crap. why should we have to stoop to such low levels? that's like saying if one person started kicking people in the balls, those people should then go around kicking other people in the balls. and i personally don't think everyone should kick everyone in the balls.

/balls metaphor

what does QFT mean?

I don't personally place spies - I disagree with people spying as well. But the fact is, it's still going to happen. So adjust your playing to compensate, rather than complaining about it being unfair.

If I was expecting a kick in the balls, then yes, I would take preemptive measures to prevent it - or kick you in the balls first.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I think some people here might be over reacting a little bit, on both sides of the fence :)

I don't much like spying, or spies anymore; I find that the damage done is more malicious these days than how I remembered it in the past. That being said, I've used information in the past (when i was younger and more foolish) to the detriment of the victim alliance.

Once upon a time I helped plant a spy in an enemy alliance that was trying to kill us and we read all their attack plans (which they screwed up anyways) and totally pwned them. Toby will remember more. Anyways, that was an amazing time and I definitely did enjoy the experience since the enemy alliance was full of jerks, and it seemed like a funny thing to do.

I don't think that being spied upon is the end of the world, Spies are out soon enough anyways for the general population that ID lists will be out shortly. You might lose a lot more land and get bashed about rather heavily until you fall out of reach a bit, but so long as your group holds together, you'll be fine. And besides, motivation for revenge can make a round a lot more fun. Not to mention you'll be low ranked so you can work some mass attacks of your own of other allies. Assuming, of course, you manage to stick together :)

Find the spy, kill the spy. Play for fun!

Bullsh*t

Uh yeah. It's still your own fault. Be careful when you accept someone into your alliance, duh. Don't accept people you don't know or can't trust. It's pretty bloody simple really.

Well in all fairness, some alliances do try to, or have to, recruit people they don't know or trust. You, apparently, would call this foolish behaviour, some others might see it as nice, and helpful to the game in general. Sure, you might find yourself immune to this feeling of justice and fairness to which some players ascribe.

Sometimes you just have to blindly trust people; and occasionally it may turn out to be a scorching experience where you get burned. Or you may make a good new ingame contact, and potential friend, who knows. There is always that element of risk in meeting new people, which is a good thing since it reduces the stagnant nature of one's pool of friends, and potentially might make the game more interesting with more "cliques" as Twigley so desperately wanted.

How would it kill the game? Huh? Oh wait, it wouldn't? K.

Well, I think what Hiuey was trying to say was that if you only recruit people you know or trust, you're likely to make the game stagnant (as is sort of the case at the moment) since there won't be much fluctuation in alliance membership; or at least not permanently.

It seems to me that if you only ever recruit people you know, there's no way to easily facilitate the emergence of "new blood" in the game. Except through specific channels, where they've been vouched for, or handpicked to play by the current "elite". This system seems detrimental to the game as a whole. Encouraging it because there is a minor "possibility" of getting spied on seems a little short sighted.

I know quite a few people who will refuse to use intel when it's acquired via underhand methods. I myself, and many of my acquiantances ingame, have denounced ID spreaders/spies to their own alliances, or other players in general, due to their actions.

Admittedly, I'm sure some people are hypocritical, but you'll always run into a few of those. I do think that spying is too damaging an activity at too critical a time for the game. We really cannot afford to lose too many more players due to stupid, short sighted and ignorant tactics. That is, of course, only my opinion :(

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Bullsh*t

yeah, cause i have a big list of people i can trust and will only recruit them.

And now everyone will know to add an extra question on their application form:

Q1. Do you intend to be a spy for another alliance, that is, do you intend to supply information such as IDs, and real-time happenings as to attack and defence formations? If yes, continue to question 2, otherwise skip to question 3.

Q2. What are your reasons for becoming a spy? (you may select more than one) Is it:
a) you have a small penis
b) you have a grudge on someone in the alliance, or the alliance as a whole? please specify:________________________________
c) you have a small penis
d) Someone told you to, please specify________________________
e) you have a small penis
f) Other, please specify:_________________________

Alvestein

Garden Designer
Amanala do me a favour, if you have trouble understanding basic logic. Go ask Alci for help as he seems to get it better than you do.

And don't go around throwing random accusations that we're all just like you, because every ally i play with i make damn sure that my ally knows i don't like using id lists acquired by spies and if the ally leader was indeed using them i would leave.

It's not even all about morales, it is also about you being selfish and causing damage to the game albeit however small, the playerbase isn't exactly so large at the moment that you can just go about ******** all over it.

Amanala

Harvester
Amanala do me a favour, if you have trouble understanding basic logic. Go ask Alci for help as he seems to get it better than you do.

And don't go around throwing random accusations that we're all just like you, because every ally i play with i make damn sure that my ally knows i don't like using id lists acquired by spies and if the ally leader was indeed using them i would leave.

It's not even all about morales, it is also about you being selfish and causing damage to the game albeit however small, the playerbase isn't exactly so large at the moment that you can just go about ******** all over it.

:lol:

Stegosaurus

Pruner

I don't understand what you're babbling about. Are you proposing I try to NOT win for the good of the player base?

Gooner

Head Gardener
Weird how the people who benefit from spies see no harm in it :)
It's like trying to have an arguement with Toby after he's got his point across, everyone else is wrong :D

Stegosaurus

Pruner

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
you're a total moron.

Ironic post is ironic.
<3

Ironic doesn't mean what you think it means.

Which IS ironic.

http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosaurbasics/a/stegofacts.htm
numero uno.

I fail to see the correlation, apart from in name.

If I set my name as christopher langan or stephen hawking, would you have more respect for me?

If you showed the slightest indication of a sense of humour, I would. Then again, after the major fail you and amanala showed in this topic, it's not hard for me to increase the respect I have for you. :p

edit: And the Counsil of Brilliance and Awesomeness wants to award of most brilliant pwnage of the month to atsanjose, for his beforementioned and quoted link. Good job, and may thy rep shine a little brighter. ^^