Spies

Alvestein

Garden Designer
I'd just like to point out that i do understand that spies have been in the game for as long as i can remember. Although i don't agree with them, it hardly means i'm just gonna quit the round. My ally took the challenge on chin up when we had masses of inc due to it.
Just thought id say that incase anyone thought either me or my ally were just sitting around QQing and doing nothing about it :p

Davs

Garden Designer

Asmodeous

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
FFS, I've probably had more experience with spies than anyone else playing. They only drive you away if you let them. Use the Discworld approach, shrug it off, soldier on, and still finish top 10.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
FFS, I've probably had more experience with spies than anyone else playing. They only drive you away if you let them. Use the Discworld approach, shrug it off, soldier on, and still finish top 10.

That's from the man in the know. Man up.
This just proves how egotistical and stupid some members of History are, surely? Just grow up already children.

john

Harvester
spies suck, but if you have an idea of who the spy is you can just screw them over for the rest of the round, and the next round, and the round after that, and so on hehehe

TehPantz

Head Gardener

what he said^

But from a new player perspective, spies are worse than they seem. I have had 10+ rounds of experience and know that spies are not the end of the round and are actually not significant in the long run. I am able to shrug it off, but what about those in the game who don't have experience?

The consequences outweigh the benefits when you look at the long term.

Short term: Your ally of 20 people will get some nice land during flack wars due to an id list.

Long term: New players (who don't realize that this stage in the game will pass) quit because of the frustrating attacks that they may not understand because they are still trying to learn the basics.

You can preach all you want about only recruiting people you know, but then how does the game have a chance of growing? In short, you spy because you don't care about the future of the game or you are too stupid to realize how it effects an already dwindling player base.

Last edited:

Walking_Death

Harvester

how many alliances are there? o.o

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
On a side note I hope noone was a dick enough to put a spy in basic training.

Someone did.. Not sure who, but I have my suspicions.. I never intended to keep my ID secret, or those of my alliance. But for those sad individuals who thought trying to ruin the game for the newest players (the ones most likely to help bring in more players after that) you can go **** yourself. If you couldn't figure it out on your own, or can't get land w/o trying to pick on the new players, you don't belong in the top.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You can preach all you want about only recruiting people you know, but then how does the game have a chance of growing? In short, you spy because you don't care about the future of the game or you are too stupid to realize how it effects an already dwindling player base.

Full of win.

Most experienced players are aware that spies aren't the end of the world for our alliances, and I'm sure most people soldier on regardless. Personally I like a good challenge in the game and fighting against the odds is when I have the most fun. So for me they will never have a massive effect.

But that doesn't mean I'm willing to overlook the effect they have on the less experienced or less active alliances. The sort of alliances who right now fill ranks 5-10. A spy for them can be devastating as the top alliances will target them specifically, knowing they can get easy land, and with a lot of their players not being as experienced they can lose hope and end up either jumping ship or quitting altogether. And if a few members do this it can quite easily spell the end for the alliance.

So because of this I'll never use spies, I'll never accept ID lists from people before spies are out, and if anyone posts spy intel on politics I'll delete it. It is a scummy tactic which only cowardly idiots use to gain a cheap advantage because they can't compete fairly, and I'll always despise anyone who spies or uses spies.

But by all means carry on with your "It's not against the rules so I'll keep doing it" attitude and continue damaging an already small playerbase in your pettymindedness and ignorance.

Coyote

Digger

Full of win.

Most experienced players are aware that spies aren't the end of the world for our alliances, and I'm sure most people soldier on regardless. Personally I like a good challenge in the game and fighting against the odds is when I have the most fun. So for me they will never have a massive effect.

But that doesn't mean I'm willing to overlook the effect they have on the less experienced or less active alliances. The sort of alliances who right now fill ranks 5-10. A spy for them can be devastating as the top alliances will target them specifically, knowing they can get easy land, and with a lot of their players not being as experienced they can lose hope and end up either jumping ship or quitting altogether. And if a few members do this it can quite easily spell the end for the alliance.

So because of this I'll never use spies, I'll never accept ID lists from people before spies are out, and if anyone posts spy intel on politics I'll delete it. It is a scummy tactic which only cowardly idiots use to gain a cheap advantage because they can't compete fairly, and I'll always despise anyone who spies or uses spies.

But by all means carry on with your "It's not against the rules so I'll keep doing it" attitude and continue damaging an already small playerbase in your pettymindedness and ignorance.
I can't believe i am saying this, but I agree 100% with Toby. I have turned down lists already this round, and deleted a post from a new member giving his old allys list. Half the fun of flak wars is not knowing. Plenty of time for ally hits when spies are out. I'll go back to it again....spy/bash/whine about lack of targets....welcome to rank 1.

webvictim

Harvester
I would also like to state that Twigs is a tool. Bush without Twigs would be a much better bush.

The players are a bunch of bashing whiners now. It was more fun to play back in the day when people liked to see the big battle reports, whether they are winning or losing.. Too many score queens nowadays. There are still a few good players, but most of them are only interested in ruining the round as soon as possible so they can have "bragging" rights..

Two posts both quoted for truth.

Point is: You are losing, I am not.
arguingontheinternet.jpg

I cannot believe you haven't grasped that yet.

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener

Someone did.. Not sure who, but I have my suspicions.. I never intended to keep my ID secret, or those of my alliance. But for those sad individuals who thought trying to ruin the game for the newest players (the ones most likely to help bring in more players after that) you can go **** yourself. If you couldn't figure it out on your own, or can't get land w/o trying to pick on the new players, you don't belong in the top.

What she said... :p

<3 lucky

fluck em lucky we'll go on and support our nooblets regardless. It comes to somthing when you have to spy on and train attack a training alliance...

-.-

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

What she said... :p

<3 lucky

fluck em lucky we'll go on and support our nooblets regardless. It comes to somthing when you have to spy on and train attack a training alliance...

-.-

You're TC? Nice one. I GOT YOUR BACK BROSEPH.

penguin

Official Helper
I lead my very first round and had a spy for the whole round.. did that matter? No, I pushed through it.. kicked the ones that weren't noobs or helping us out.. and went on for the remaining 6 days of the round.
It's a horrible tactic, I agree, but like someone said before.. stop crying about it. Get rid of the spy and get other people in your alliance. There's always going to be spies.. whether anyone likes it or not.

edit:
I actually agree with toby's later post.. shockingly.

Last edited: