Bush World Cup 2009 - Discussion

Changer

Head Gardener
I should also probably point out that this isn't going to be a PW for everyone. The whole point is that each team consists of the best 10 players from a country (or agreed geographical region).

And how are you going to determine who the best players are?

This was explained in the other thread i believe. Each region would vote for a captain, then the captain would select the ten 'best' players.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Couldnt the english do regions within england?

North/midland/south/london

We have too big a playerbase from the UK to only pick 20 or so

You're talking a completely different ball game here. You might as well create another PW called "UK Regional Tournament" or something...

You can't allow 3-4 teams from the UK, but then 1 representing the US, one representing Aus+New Zealand, it just isn't fair.

People are just going to have to accept that they may or may not be chosen to play for their country/region - It will be down to your elected captain to make the decision on who plays and who doesnt.

Its unfortunate that we have such a big percentage of the playerbase from the UK, but we can't triple the chances of a UK team winning by dividing the country up, it just doesnt make sense.

Ram

Head Gardener
I should also probably point out that this isn't going to be a PW for everyone. The whole point is that each team consists of the best 10 players from a country (or agreed geographical region).

Most likely the elected captain for the region will make this call

It was even in the same post :/

He edited that in newfag. GTFO.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

He edited that in newfag. GTFO.

Chill out dude. Obviously i didnt know that.

Jeez :roll:

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Couldnt the english do regions within england?

North/midland/south/london

We have too big a playerbase from the UK to only pick 20 or so

QFT.

In some countries, there are only a couple of talented players, while UK has lots & lots of em.

You don't have to say "England won the tournament", but "Northern England has won the tournament" so it's not really giving England a better opportunity imo.

For once, Changer is right ;) It's a shame that a lot of players don't get the opportunity to play for their country / region just because of only 10 available slots, IMO

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

And who says the captain is right? He'll most likely choose people he likes. For example, if DA is captain there is no ****ing way I would get chosen, no matter how good a player I am.

timthetyrant

Head Gardener
/me sniffs

i can smell a powerblock forming between the possible English teams

What about Asia, how many peeps are there (50% world population)? or if Australia has enough to fill its own team NZ can bugger off and join the Pacific Islands (maybe even include Hawaii, because the US will get enough). The USA could maybe be split between East Coast and West Coast rapperz.

Also for all those peeps who feel left out and don't get to "represent" their area or aren't included in other demographics (Africa, South America, etc), we could ship them all to Antartica to provide them a "second chance" to get in. Antartica *shouldn't* be filled with poms, the ppl without a demography should have a priority stake in Antartica, the leader of Antartica i guess would volunteer or sumthn else.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I really disagree that there should be more than 1 UK team. At a push i think maybe England would be a team and then scottland/wales/ireland could team but but any sort of north/south etc divide would defeat the whole object of the competition.

Yes we have a few hundred players from the UK (im roughly guessing ofc) and its unfortunate that only 10 can compete but thats the way its gotta be if we're gonna do it properly. Those of us that dont get to play will just have to be there as morale support ;)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
its unfortunate that only 10 can compete but thats the way its gotta be if we're gonna do it properly.

Who says we have to do it properly? I'd rather see as many good players playing as possible, than do it "properly" and have some really crap teams.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
its unfortunate that only 10 can compete but thats the way its gotta be if we're gonna do it properly.

Who says we have to do it properly? I'd rather see as many good players playing as possible, than do it "properly" and have some really crap teams.

You're describing a "normal" PW, toby, not one that is supposed to be a general measure/indication of what country is the best/has the best players.

Nitrous

Head Gardener
I dont think UK should be spilt up into anything smaller than Scotland / Wales / England / Ireland. But I *do* think they should be spilt up into these four.

Also about this giving more oppourtunity to others...

In football, or any other sport, you only get picked to represent your international team if you are amoungst *the* best!

If footballers don't get picked, most would just work harder and improve to play for their country.

Same thing should apply here imo.

Make it the best vs the best.

But that's my opinion though. :)

GL with setting up this World Cup PW! :D

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

You're describing a "normal" PW, toby, not one that is supposed to be a general measure/indication of what country is the best/has the best players.

Not quite. I just think that if we're going to have ten teams we might as well make them the best teams we can. I'm sure the Dutchies could put together a strong team, as could the USA, and maybe Bulgaria and Australia. And if we have a couple of teams leftover I'd rather see an extra team for England or USA than make one for Lichtenstein or San Marino or something.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I think if it does end up that we can only get say 6/7 teams together i'd rather see it go ahead just with those real teams than make extra teams just to boost numbers. At least then it would be a true world cup.

We can have random PWs whenever, at least do this one properly

Changer

Head Gardener
My original point has been taken out of context i think. I don't think there should be a UK split because there needs to be more opportunity, but so that there is more competition.

You wanted 10 teams of 5 was it not? I hardly see 10 separate country teams being formed. So my idea was to increase the number of teams by splitting UK into England and a combined Welsh, Irish and Scottish team. Not so more people get to play from the UK, but so you fill out your requirement of 10 teams, which atm you are lacking in.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
My original point has been taken out of context i think. I don't think there should be a UK split because there needs to be more opportunity, but so that there is more competition.

You wanted 10 teams of 5 was it not? I hardly see 10 separate country teams being formed. So my idea was to increase the number of teams by splitting UK into England and a combined Welsh, Irish and Scottish team. Not so more people get to play from the UK, but so you fill out your requirement of 10 teams, which atm you are lacking in.

10 teams of 10 players.

But basically, 10 players from as many countries/geo-regions as possible.

moorer

Pruner
The World Cup has Qualifying Groups.

In view of the larger English playerbase perhaps England should hold a Qualifying Group of its own, the winners representing England in the actual World Cup

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Some countries will have problems filling a team of 10 indeed, what about using 'regions' for certain teams? Like the Benelux for Belgium & the Netherlands, and the Baltics for Bulgaria & Romania, Oceania for Australia & New Zealand, etc...

Just to be an annoying asshle: Baltics = Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. :p

Also I'd think the Dutch have got enough players, maybe a Belgo-french region would be more suitable? Otherwise SadYear (and probably you as we're playing on IP apparently :p) would have a VERY hard time finding 8 other frenchies :p

Yeah sorry I ment the Balkans, not the Baltics. :p

Well SadYear doesn't play anymore but we could poke him into a PW probably. But do you really think there will be 8 belgians playing? Also, I'm not sure if we can even get 10 Dutchies back...