Bush World Cup 2009 - Discussion

Bahnsen

Planter
Quality idea, the last one was awesome. I'd like to try my hand at captain again for the Aussies if they are happy to let me be? Either way, I am happy to chuck some BC's towards the cup.

WORLD DOWN!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Its almost 3 years to the day since the last "Bush World Cup" (Sponsored by Harbinger, who very kindly paid for the PW)

It incorporated 10 teams from around the world. Each team representing their country. Each team consisted of 10 players, 100 in all, and it made for a very interesting, if not slap-dash, private world.

-

This time round, I propose a little more consultation. There are a number of things that need to be discussed if we're to see the possibility of a World Cup 09'.

Such as:

• Who will meed the cost of the PW? - A 2 week, 10 minute tick PW, will cost 45 BC for 100 people to play in (Do we find a sponsor for the event, or will each team pay 5 BC to enter?)

• What settings should the PW have?
  • Who will decide the team captains? (The playerbase? How? A vote?)
  • Who will decide the 10 best players from each country? (The captains? The playerbase?)
  • When will it start? (A couple of weeks planning will almost certainly be required to get things right)
  • What will be the reward? A BC reward for each player could be costly, for example awarding each member of the winning team 5 BC, would cost 50 in all. Maybe a new Player Award'? 20-50 points? Or a special in-game unit. Something to encourage people to do well!
An idea I had was trying to make the PW "Official" - With Azzer's backing we could "portal" the winning country each year, eternalizing the winning country and their players.

-

I'm not sure if enough people would be behind this to bring it around again, but I'd sure like to see it happen.

Thoughts?

who will pay: 5 BC from each team i think, unless there is a few people who wouldnt mind chucking 10-15 pounds away. Of course that would require some people to volunteer. Id pay my way, but i can only pay by sms, which costs a bit :( maybe...

If each team donates 5 BC each, then there is 5 left over. Maybe give 1 each to top five players.

Settings: 5 min ticks? They are way fun, it wouldnt have to be too serious would it? Short dev times ofc. No ctf obviously, basically pretty similar to world one, just faster.

Team captains: Once teams are decided on, post them in the forums. Members of a team can vote for a leader.

Maybe have 10 threads in alliance politics or something, each with pols. It would be easy to see the results that way. Just make sure you put the links in this thread (although i doubt they will be hard to find. Just an idea

Start time: Not before 3 weeks from now. That should coincide with my break, and probably for other students too.

Reward: No reward. Just maybe what i mentioned with the left over BCs (if there are any)

Also, if there arent enough people interested maybe 7 per team, or something similar?

And i agree with the grouping part of some countries that dont have a lot of people. And it would be a good idea to split up UK and maybe America.

Another issue was people playing in countries they had barely any connection with. Make it based on whether there are enough people playing in that country.
So if it is America/UK you must live there. Even if you were born there and moved away, you cant play for them.
If maybe they cant make up the numbers, then let people who were born there/lived there for a number of years join.
If still not enough, then there must be blood connection (for example, im Aussie, but my mums parents could be from Atlantis, so i could play for Atlantis).

So basically, the more needy they are of players, then the looser the connections can be.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Some countries will have problems filling a team of 10 indeed, what about using 'regions' for certain teams? Like the Benelux for Belgium & the Netherlands, and the Baltics for Bulgaria & Romania, Oceania for Australia & New Zealand, etc...

Just to be an annoying asshle: Baltics = Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. :p

Also I'd think the Dutch have got enough players, maybe a Belgo-french region would be more suitable? Otherwise SadYear (and probably you as we're playing on IP apparently :p) would have a VERY hard time finding 8 other frenchies :p

Lukey

Harvester
Maxi has a great idea there for countries who can not get 10 players

also im in for sureeeeeee.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Bush World Cup Planning - Stage 1

Bush World Cup Planning - Stage 1

Step One - Creating the Teams (Defining countries/regions)

Ok - So having read the responses from my previous thread, here, it looks like everyone is up for another "Bush World Cup".

Some countries will have problems filling a team of 10 indeed, what about using 'regions' for certain teams? Like the Benelux for Belgium & the Netherlands, and the Baltics for Bulgaria & Romania, Oceania for Australia & New Zealand, etc...

-

Maxi's suggestion appears to be the most sensible way of creating teams - and will therefore be used to generate Countries/Regions for each team in the tournament.

The next step is to actually "define" each of these regions - and agree what country names should be "merged" for the purposes of gaining 10 players from these regions.

-

For example we have players from Scotland but not enough to make a team. Scotland borders England, and is part of the United Kingdom. As such, rather than having individual teams for the England, Scotland, Wales, etc, we can instead have "Team GB".

You get the drift.

Similarly - We have players from Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden - but not enough in any of those countries to come up with an active team. As such, these countries could be grouped together under the team name "Nordic Region" - or in the case of Norway Denmark and Sweden, perhaps Scandinavia.

-

I need people to reply with a similar response to Maxi:

Identify countries that will unlikely have 10 active players to represent that country

Is that country part of a geographical "region" (Such as the UK and Scandinavia)

n.b - These geographical regions do not need to be official - just put forward proposals based on the geographical proximity of neighbouring/nearby countries.
-

I will edit this thread to include agreed countries/regions/kingdoms etc:

Team 1: United Kingdom
Incorporating: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland

Team 2: Oceania
Incorporating: Australia, New Zealand

Team 3: Ther Netherlands
Incorporating: The Netherlands (TBC)

Team 4: Nordic Region/Team Nordic (TBC)
Incorporating:
Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden

Team 5: USA

Team 5: Canada (TBC)

Team 6: Belgium & France (TBC)

Team 7:

Team 8:

Team 9:

Team 10:

-

n.b - Please do not post applications/endorsements for captains/players on this thread.

Stage 2 of planning, when all countries/regions are properly defined, will involve The Vote for each team captain.

Last edited:

Changer

Head Gardener
UK would have to be split differently i think. Would make more sense to have a England team and then a combined Scottish, Irish and Welsh side perhaps. As I feel a UK team would have enough applicants to make 3 teams or so.

Steve_God

Official Helper
Sounds good! :)

(If a certain country does have enough to fill more than one team, they could be split up into regions, eg: North England, Scotland and Ireland / South England & Wales)

I'll be up for it again anyway ;)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
UK would have to be split differently i think. Would make more sense to have a England team and then a combined Scottish, Irish and Welsh side perhaps. As I feel a UK team would have enough applicants to make 3 teams or so.

The only problem I can see with that is that you're effectively doubling the chance of a "UK" country/side winning, if we have two sides from the UK.

Changer

Head Gardener
Aye, but since your not going to fill 10 teams (least i doubt it) your denying 10 other people from a game with a large UK player base from getting the chance to play?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Aye, but since your not going to fill 10 teams (least i doubt it) your denying 10 other people from a game with a large UK player base from getting the chance to play?

Thats why I've created this thread - to work out if we can generate 10 teams based on countries/regions.

Team England

and

Team Scotland, Wales and Ireland

would be fine - But seperating regions based on north/south divides would over-complicate things IMO.

-

I should also probably point out that this isn't going to be a PW for everyone. The whole point is that each team consists of the best 10 players from a country (or agreed geographical region).

The PW can't find a place for everyone - it'll be a case of deciding on teams, based on a Country (if that country has enough active players), or on an agreed number of countries based on geographical proximity - then sourcing the best 10 players from that area. (Most likely the elected captain for the region will make this call)

If we try and find a place in the PW for everyone we're going to find ourselves in a similar position to last time, whereby people from Europe were playing for the US team, etc and so forth - it seriously undermined the entire point of the PW: to determine the best country/region.

Changer

Head Gardener
Agree it shouldnt be for all, but if its larger it will create more competition aye?
Since i dont think your find 10 separate countries / regions to fill ten teams, just thought it would be better to break the UK apart. Maybe also split the US, but I wouldnt know who the best way to do that would be or if theres enough willing to participate.

Ram

Head Gardener
I should also probably point out that this isn't going to be a PW for everyone. The whole point is that each team consists of the best 10 players from a country (or agreed geographical region).

And how are you going to determine who the best players are?

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
Couldnt the english do regions within england?

North/midland/south/london

We have too big a playerbase from the UK to only pick 20 or so