Strategy games

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
SO MUCH STUFF

Yeah he's totally right. I didn't have the time, willpower, or energy to write a post like that, but all those games are magnificent. I love the HoI incarnation the best, but they are all similar, and all amazing. Never a regrettable experience, especially with the existence of patched versions for sale. Like any massive game, they had bugs in the first release, but they're all pretty stable and badass now.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Holy shi...

That's a huge amount of info, thanks Flamey! Perhaps I should have said that I've probably bought enough to at least try out to begin with. I count about 6 (without counting and actually guessing) which I have bought.
Mattheus convinced me to get SC2 when we spoke on IRC yesterday!

I'll certainly look to refer back to it when/if I need some more games.

Thanks!!

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
nothing beats wasteland. NOTHING!

(course you may need somethin like dosbox to play it... the father/mother of the fallout series)

don't forget your canteen when wandering, ranger.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
as mentioned supreme commander, considered the succesor of total annihalation. which was epic, but doesnt have servers any more but supreme commander is worth a look (the remake frontline) though there is a suipreme conmmander 2, never looked at it but may be worth a shot,

old games so cheap,
slighlty newer end of nations i think its called my friend like. more like your tradditional command and conquer

the one i was looking forward to but am hesitant abotu now is kingdoms underfire 2 i think it focuses to much on the rpg than stratergy. but i cudnt run it on my pc anyway. so be interested to see what someone else thinks of it

also theres Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm some point this year, but ive lost touch with star craft since my good pc died. but if you like sc2. not long till the new one so get practising!!

flameharvester

Head Gardener
Holy shi...

That's a huge amount of info, thanks Flamey! Perhaps I should have said that I've probably bought enough to at least try out to begin with. I count about 6 (without counting and actually guessing) which I have bought.
Mattheus convinced me to get SC2 when we spoke on IRC yesterday!

I'll certainly look to refer back to it when/if I need some more games.

Thanks!!

No problem martin, Hit me up anytime if you have queries on any of paradox's games or want some more suggestions for strategy games, I have to little time on my hands to truly master any game outside my paradox addiction, but if it is good chances are I have played and beaten it at least once.

tl,dr: Im addicted to strategy games

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
All the Paradox Interactive games are on 50% off on steam this weekend... kinda tempted but not sure which to get.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
Cant go wrong with any of them I am revisiting eu:rome and victoria 2 atm, so if you get one of them I can help out with any issues you have

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Alci has made HoI 3 sound like my sorta thing :p Now gonna look where I can get it, or is it an online game?

All comes from AoE i guess ;)

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Alci has made HoI 3 sound like my sorta thing :p Now gonna look where I can get it, or is it an online game?

All comes from AoE i guess ;)

Buy it from steam. 50% off this weekend.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Never mind,

Had a look on Youtube, looks difficult but it looks and sounds worth it.

Ive purchased it, take 2 business days to arrive :p Might need Alci to help but mehh :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Never mind,

Ive purchased it, take 2 business days to arrive :p Might need Alci to help but mehh :p

Dude. learning curve like mount everest but TOTALLY worth it. And HOI3 is the most approachable of the series. I'll be happy to help!

If i'm ever on IRC feel free to contact me, but PM on here is more likely to get my attention lol

CFalcon

Official Helper
Had a quick look at youtube videos of Victoria 2 and it looks interesting. Is it real-time or turn-based, is it all on the campaign map or do you zoom in for more detailed action, and is it weighted more heavily on economy, military or politics?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
real time.

all on campaign map.

Weighted equally to everything. You are in control of literally everything. I can't remember if for V2 you can turn on an AI for some parts of the game, but in HOI3 you can turn on AI for portions of the game. So you wouldn't say V2 is weighted in any particular direction as you have to control every part of it :p

flameharvester

Head Gardener
ai control options are there for most micromanagment parts like trade on world market.

Anyone who wants help etc with v2 can pm me with queries or shoot me your email address in a pm and ill email you which means I read/reply alot quicker.

Also sorry for english/grammer new phone sucks...

CFalcon

Official Helper
, stepping into CK2, as a newcomer to the game is just ridiculous you will think WOW what an amazing game, then you will spend 45 minutes on the loading screen picking a country.

You weren't kidding :eek:

Got CK2 yesterday, and I've been "playing" for several hours but haven't actually progressed a game yet, just working my way through learning how to juggle the myriad of options. And trying to stop the Duke of Northumberland from hating me.

I like depth though, so cheers for pointing these out.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
, stepping into CK2, as a newcomer to the game is just ridiculous you will think WOW what an amazing game, then you will spend 45 minutes on the loading screen picking a country.

You weren't kidding :eek:

Got CK2 yesterday, and I've been "playing" for several hours but haven't actually progressed a game yet, just working my way through learning how to juggle the myriad of options. And trying to stop the Duke of Northumberland from hating me.

I like depth though, so cheers for pointing these out.

I got nameless into ck, then we got ck2 together, the thing that stuck out in my memory was this *(note this is not a log but a recreation from my memory)*

Nameless: ****!
Nameless: I have it installed for nearly 40 minutes, i really better hurry up and choose a country.
Flamey: :O :/

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Never mind,

Dude. learning curve like mount everest but TOTALLY worth it. And HOI3 is the most approachable of the series. I'll be happy to help!

If i'm ever on IRC feel free to contact me, but PM on here is more likely to get my attention lol

So the game has arrived...time to find the verdict ;)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
CK2 is brutal. I'm getting violated. Although I've just started a new game as Poland, and so far things are looking pretty good.

Gotta toe the line with the Pope though, or he'll excommunicate me and i'll die :(