Ps4

Max

Garden Designer
Would you consider getting a PS3 when the PS4 nears its launch? I imagine prices will fall a bit then. I'm certainly considering investing in an xBox 360 or PS3 by that point...

I might indeed MattM! Although I have to justify the purchase against other competition. For example... what games will be available on a console that I can't play on a PC or phone/tablet?

I think that's the biggest challenge to console providers these days, especially with disposable income so low. Most people have a PC/Phone anyway already so they only have to pay out for new games rather than new consoles.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Would you consider getting a PS3 when the PS4 nears its launch? I imagine prices will fall a bit then. I'm certainly considering investing in an xBox 360 or PS3 by that point...

I might indeed MattM! Although I have to justify the purchase against other competition. For example... what games will be available on a console that I can't play on a PC or phone/tablet?

I think that's the biggest challenge to console providers these days, especially with disposable income so low. Most people have a PC/Phone anyway already so they only have to pay out for new games rather than new consoles.

i don't pay for phone games, but i do look for free ones. I rarely find anything decent, but when i do the games get boring, and i end up preferring to stare out a bus/train window than play them. Basically, phone games are ****. They are repetative. Controls are basic. Storyline is crap, if it even exists.

For proper gaming entertainment (i.e. not for the sake of trying to kill boredom) you need a proper gaming machine.

And if you have a PC, that can easily do the job. Although you will want it to have a bit of power (not necessarily a lot) if you want to play relatively new games.

I've played games on PC a bit with friends, but i prefer console any day. And so will many others. And when i consider how much my console has been used (by me, my friends, my brothers or my brothers friends, it's really not that expensive.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
I'm going to wait till i get all the facts and comparisons. its not like I'm going to miss out on any major games for a while. i imagine they will release to old consoles for a while after the console releases. and the first gen are over priced, and more prone to issues. may as well wait see what suits me best. I do like that microsoft managed to get some of the games that were sony exclusive. like resident evil and metal gear solid. as those are the ones i actually missed playing, and i like my gamer profile and wouldn't mind carrying it across, and the stability is meant to be better on their servers, certainly they're more secure.

But all those benefits aside, I'm not going to stick with them if they are gonna screw with their games ability to be used second hand. what about game rentals from block buster and love film, or shops like CEX, why rent and try a game if you are having to pay full price to play it. Such a dick move, like their boffins couldn't think of a better way to prevent cracking games, oh lets chose the option that makes us so much more money. If Xbox 1 doesn't impress me alot more than ps4 they've lost my custom.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I'm still sticking by the fact that I will purchase neither. My most recent investment has actually been a 360 replica gaming controller for my PC.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
So, Sony announce they are not going to charge for people to use second-hand games. Plus their console is going to be cheaper to boot.

Your move, Microsoft...

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Basically...

Plenty of games. MAD MAX lol. Keen on Destiny.
***Sony are not imposing any restrictions on used games***
No internet connection required to play disc based games.
No periodic online check required to operate.
Has Netflix, Amazon Movie and its Music and Movie Unlimited apps.
500GB HDD.
PlayGo. Start downloading a game and start playing almost immediately while the rest of game downloads to HDD. Also used in buffering disc data to HDD which i guess will mean faster level load times.
Background processor allows downloading and multitasking (e.g. web browsing, maybe music??) while playing games.
$399 in the US (as opposed to xOne's price tag of $499). But for the Brits it'll be a bit more at £349.

And we already know hardware is technically a little bit better than the xbone, although practically the same. So Sony seems to have done what the consumer wanted and capitalised well on M$'s greedy decisions.

They are going to bring backwards compatibly via Gaikai, which doesn't seem like it will be very useful, at least anytime soon. But at least it's something which could be the ultimate solution in the future.

BUT online multiplayer well require Playstation Plus! Nooooo! Now, at $5 (or 5.83 AUD for me) a month I can cope with this, especially considering you get a heap of free games out of it. Including good games like XCOM and Uncharted 3. And it's well worth the use I get from it. But still, the free online multiplayer was one of the things i loved about PS3 :( One small tarnish to Sony.

But that price tag is pretty reasonable for a new gen console. I think I might actually consider getting one around launch time, not something I ever thought I'd do.

Steve_God

Official Helper
I'm definately more likely to get a PS4 after that news.
That said, will still wait for them to drop in price a bit or pick one up second hand (but that's cos I'm a cheapskate) lol.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
damn, i keep seeing links to that video, but i can't watch it on this net! :p

also, PS4 is region free.
1 playstation plus account on console will still allow online play for all accounts on that console.
And as always, upgradable HDD.

Last edited:

Max

Garden Designer
Looks like Sony have played an absolute blinder here, far more in touch with the gaming community.

Although I was disappointed that the best Square-Enix could come up with is a FFXIII spinoff and new Kingdom Hearts game. Come on guys - come up with something new and creative! Stop recycling old ideas! *Rant over*

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Agreed with everything said so far. I won't be buying either, but PS looks like the clear winner here.

Franny

Head Gardener
Still a bit pissed that you need plus to play online, but i suppose they do give you free games to play.