Old School Bush - The 2nd Age

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Link to "Feedback" thread on experiences with replaying the old Age 2 code:
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266

I am going to be running the old Age 2 codeset of Bushtarion, as an experiment.

Age 2 of Bushtarion closed down in around September/October of 2003. The code is 6 years old. It is very different to the Bushtarion of today. It is quite crude, simplistic, and all sorts of oddities/features that frankly don't make much sense. There may be bugs and weird things. Please direct any reports to me in an IRC PM, or in the #age_2 chat room.

I want you, the modern day players of Age 5 - old and new, beginners and professionals alike - to hop over and take part in playing Age 2, and I want you to try and play it "properly". Go solo. Make an alliance. Join an alliance. Chase whatever goals you would chase in Age 5. Get land. Kill people. Tech up. Involve yourself in alliance wars. Play as closely as you can to how you play the game in a normal day-to-day Age 5 round.

I have set up a Bushtarion chat room on the IRC server, called #age_2 - simply join IRC, and type "/j #age_2". It's a seperate chat room where you can openly talk about your ID in Age 2, talk about setting up/joing alliances, and talk about how th egame looks, feels etc. - without spamming the main Bushtarion chat room.

http://www.bushtarion.com/age_2/

#age_2 <- Official Age 2 chat room on the NetGamers server.

Your account in Age 2 has no impact on your account in Age 5. You may register an account using the same email address you use for Age 5.
It's an entirely different codeset, and an entirely separate database.

Importantly though, after you've played Age 2 for a while, I want some feedback looking at these areas:

1: Are the tactics, strategies, or way of playing, better or worse? Is "newbie bashing", massing, raping etc. all still just the same in Age 2? Is it worse (more bashing)? Is it better (friendlier to mid and low rank players)? Many old-time players have fond memories of how "different" the game was in Age 2 - less bashing, fairer attacks, etc. - but are these simply clouded memories, or is it simply the playerbase that has changed. Are there fundamental mechanics, or features, of Age 2 that make people play more "Honourably", or is it purely the playerbase that has changed this so much.

2: How does having land not affect your score by much at all (land * 1000 = score from land) affect the game - does it bring more land in to the game, or less. Does it encourage newbie bashing, help people build up to fight resistances, make things better or worse, or simply make it "different" with neither pros nor cons. Seeds, plants and game cash also give considerably less score, does this make a difference to any aspects of the game, and if so what?

3: No bounty. No insurance. No injuries. An attack range of only 17.5%. How does this affect what you do? How does this affect mid to low ranking, and newer players?

4: You can defend any ID in the game. Literally any ID, from any alliance, of any score. Whether solo or allied, enemies or friends, newbie or rank 1 - you can defend them. I know, WTF right? Well, how does this affect the game? (you do get a -1 ETA defense when defending your own ally, which you don't get for defending non-ally members)

Although any feedback at all is welcome on any aspect of Age 2, particularly comparing it to the modern day - whether it's mechanics, design, or features (like how great the Age 2 front-page was, and how awesome the search page was...?) ;)

Ticks are every 5 minutes.. The round will last a few weeks or so I imagine.

Know any old Bushtarion players?
Are you still in touch with any old Bushtarion players from the early days of Bushtarion? See if you can persuade any of them to sign up to the Age 2 code and show all these whipper-snappers how the game used to be played. Go give them a poke, twist their arms, maybe their nipples too, until they agree to sign up to the Age 2 code. Go oldbie hunting! :D

Last edited:

Bobbin

Head Gardener
I'm going to be running an alliance. This'll be an old school alliance using old school tactics, so if you miss using proper tactics, or even want to learn them give me a shout. alliance will be private at first and maybe not even full.

I have no requirements other than a desire to play an old school game and a willingness from you to do this properly and actually defend and try.

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
i wasn't around in 'The Golden Age' but i'll sure as hell give it a shot and give any feed back as required =)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
P-Unit will be free. BTW, back then, there was no development linked to P-Units - you just bought it and whoosh, instant access to the unit. No development to research first :p And likewise with the removal of the old PayPal payment code, it's just a link that appears when you are ready to unlock the p-unit that says "Gief me mai units nao plz!" and you'll get it immediately on clicking the link, without having to pay or develop further :p

Defender

Weeder
Pure genius. a reason to come out of inactivity, pity i'm back on barracks come sunday :(

Shadow

Harvester
Tyrant Drones on steroids

Yeah and the rest lol They cost 422k if i remember rightly and and just decimate EVERYTHING!!!! gd times :p wonder how many people will go for em...and its going to be a *******, dont knwo how much flak is needed to get past anything :( its been so long :(

Netherdragon

Pruner
this will truely be an experience for me, i started playing just as age 2 ended and am determined to find out what it was really like for myself :)

Trancillion

Beginner
*mumbles something about someone got me to registrant on the forum again*

Well at least a opportunity to say hi to old friends and enemy's.

ahh the memories...

[close] 57,412,797 allied Protestor Guru attacked and distracted 264,666,128 hostile staff.

Distracted: 351,246,298 enemies distracted.
Disabled: 2,268,239 friendlies disabled. 196,809,212 enemies disabled.

Hmm.. i might join, dunno yet.

for thos from IRC, I'm the real worms ! :D