Mount & Blade

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Being an "indy" developer myself, I always appreciate/respect the work of indies the world over. And an indy husband & wife team from some random country have developed what I think is a bloody awesome game, "Mount & Blade" - I've spent way too many a spare hours on an evening playing this. I first tried it out back in 2005 when it was in early development (and you could buy it for a fiver back then, bargain :p), and have followed it's progress on and off (checking in every few months) since then. It just had it's final version released/published last week, and has actually made it to the shelves as a commercial game!

Selection of reviews/scores on MetaCritic here

You can get a demo from here;
http://files.filefront.com/mountandblad ... einfo.html

Or here;
http://www.worthdownloading.com/downloa ... 0&id=16467

Best classification I can give is a totally open-ended medieval action-RPG set in 'realistic' medieval times (no dragons or magic or elves etc.). The RPG elements are limited, but there are skills/stats and levels that increased for you/your companions as you get exp killing things/doing some simple quests (and a few not so simple you get later down the line from villages and lords)... and no real storyline (which is a downside in some ways, but leaves it totally open-ended in another way). Also at first you can feel a bit lost about what to do in the game when you first try it (the other main downside), but once you get in to it it's awesome. It's definitely the best combat system I've ever seen in a game - anything from sitting on a mount and jousting your enemies, to running around with a two handed axes swinging it side to side trying to get past enemy shields. You can end up leading an army of over 100 troops and sieging castles and towns to take over for yourself, or join one of five factions and join up with the armies of a faction (and later rebel and become a rebellion leader if you want).

You start out on a map with a horse and nobody in your side, best advice I can give at the beginning is find a "training camp" on the map and give combat a test, and then head to the nearest town (towns names appear in the largest font size on the map, as opposed to villages/castles which are smaller), go to the inn and see if there's anyone in there you can hire to join you (there's around 12 other 'heroes' in the game that you can recruit, that level up alongisde you and have their own stats/skills... the rest of your army will be filled up with regular soldiers you train up from recruits to archers to knights). Also visit castles every now and then and see if there's any lords to visit (the lords may be wandering the map with their army though - they do patrol and go to war just like you can) - lords will often give you quests to do that net you positive reputation for that lord and their faction.

It's all easily moddable (back in early beta days there were Lord of the Rings mods, the starts of a Star Wars mod, 100 years war mod etc. etc)... so expect to see lots of epic mods and total-conversions come out once the final release has been out for a month or two.

Graphics/general effects aren't amazing, but they aren't bad at all... and you have to take it for what it is - an indy developed game not a game with an epic budget or a huge programming/art team behind them. Though somebody has already released an improved texture pack on the game's mod forums.

Oh and for those wondering, I'm advertising this for two good reasons; 1: I really do think it's an ace game and think there's probably others here that will like it too once you get in to it, and 2: I think any indy team that makes an ace game deserves any free advertising they can get from fans, much like I've seen people promoting Bushtarion on other sites for me! ;)

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Re: Mount & Blade

Sounds interesting Azzer, going to give it a try. :p

Zach

Planter

It really is a great game, i spent a crap load of time playing it earlier this summer. Thought i'd post so M&B would get bumped back up and get some more attention.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

I've got the full version, and the kingdom to which I have pledged my fealty is as war on 3 fronts.

Zach

Planter

yeah it can be pretty crazy at times. The best thing to do is to expand your kingdom like crazy, and then support the rival claimant to the throne and see if you can take 'em down :)

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

I'm just sorta running around the countryside deep in enemy territory, attacking caravans and looting downs and fighting enemy armies whenever one comes by that I can handle. The town that my king gave me just got sacked though...they'll pay :evil:

Zach

Planter

Have you tried any sieges yet? they're very fun, and often get your more territory from your king, which really helps with money and recruiting.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

I've got a crappy little town that is on the frontier between us and a hostile kingdom, so it keeps getting sacked. I've only taken one castle I think, and I just gave it to the king since it was so far out of the way. I've got a solid little crew, nearly 70 members, I do pretty well with it but I still can't go head-on against some of the bigger enemy parties that have over a hundred troops. Captured an enemy king yesterday, ransomed him back for over 10 thousand denars :eek:

Zach

Planter

Your making me want to start playing again lol. Try to grab a city and see if your king will give it to you, those are nice. I LOVE capturing kings, much money :p

Podunk

Head Gardener

Haha I just got the full version of the game. Whenever I start playing I end up spending at least 4-5 hours on it!

Addicting :D

tomtree

Head Gardener

looks good, i think im downloading the demo now...

is there any way to get it for free, cos i really dont want to have to pay the €29.990 , wouldnt mind if it was cheaper, but €29.99 is a bit pricy...

tomtree

Head Gardener

i downloaded and have played the trial version. i love the game concept and stuff, but in the battle scenes it is really slow and jumpy which i really cant stand. the rest of the game is fine. i have a reasonable processor i think: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s), and 4GB RAM. though its a laptop and my graphics card isnt great.

just wanted to know if this is a problem that is only effecting me, or if its just part of the game that i will have to live with?

oh, and i also have a newer version of the game than either Azzer or DA have posted, i have version 1.011

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

Yeah tomtree the problem is just with you. I use that version too, and have no such problems.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Tomtree, do you have the latest drivers for your onboard? graphics?

System requirements 766 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 700 MB hard drive space, 64 MB graphics card
Input methods Keyboard, mouse

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Good good :)

If you wanna go all out you could also try running it in a window. That'd help a fair bit too !

tomtree

Head Gardener

now that ive played the game properly i can say that i think its awesome! ive been waiting for a game like this to come along for ages!

oh a side note, is anyone else finding it really hard to get over 40 men and progress so that you are actually a fairly major force? i can only get 39 men atm, i need more renown to get more, but i cant find any armies that are small enough for me to fight, other than a few petty looters, etc. and how to i get one of the factions to let me fight for them? i am recruited as a mercenary and can loot villages, etc. but not a lot more atm.

any tips?

cheers.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

When you level up, invest points in Charisma, and once you have enough stick some in Leadership. Each Charisma lets you have 1 extra person, and each Leadership lets you have 5 extra, but you can only have 1/3 the points in Leadership that you have in Charisma.