Iron Golems??

Turnip2k

Harvester
Someone who has been playing the game for a month or so, and thinks they have got to grips with targeting etc...

Then they see a BR like the one with golems. Or a BR with vamps doing very high amounts of damage randomly. If they don't know its because of special bonuses (i.e. that they may exist for the unit), what are they going to think? They will think they have totally misunderstood how the game works - but in reality, they do understand it perfectly well.

It cant hurt to just put a star by the units in the manual which have hidden bonuses. You don't have to say anything at all about what they are! Just they exist, and may come into play at some point.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
they see a weird br and go, 'well, that was weird, i guess things can go differently...i wonder why...oh well'

they wont go, 'OMG! how the hell did that happen! none of those golems got killed! oh no, i dont understand, whatever shall i do?! This is too much, its too confusing, i quit'.

im pretty sure it wont be that confusing, and since these bonuses are pretty rare, they will probably just dismiss it as a fluke

[edit] im not mocking you, im just saying, its not all that common for weird things to happen, and if it does, the person isnt automatically going to think they dont know how the game works. Most people have enough common sense to know that you cant predict everything

rooney

Head Gardener
i really wanna find the SA one... its been annoying me for ages now! anyone seen it before? or the one with rexes

Steve_God

Official Helper
It's slightly worrying that I've been playing the game for as long as I have, and until this thread appeared, never knew that any units had any hidden bonuses that weren't mentioned in the stats :-/

(I know Azzer likes to program in his random Easter Eggs, but I never thought it spread as far to unit performances too!)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
lol steve, i only know about the vamps one and now this.

Wasnt there talk of witches having something similar to do with 3's? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it...was it true?

Turnip2k

Harvester
they see a weird br and go, 'well, that was weird, i guess things can go differently...i wonder why...oh well'

they wont go, 'OMG! how the hell did that happen! none of those golems got killed! oh no, i dont understand, whatever shall i do?! This is too much, its too confusing, i quit'.

im pretty sure it wont be that confusing, and since these bonuses are pretty rare, they will probably just dismiss it as a fluke

[edit] im not mocking you, im just saying, its not all that common for weird things to happen, and if it does, the person isnt automatically going to think they dont know how the game works. Most people have enough common sense to know that you cant predict everything

That blantant overaction isn't necessary to prove my point. They just have to doubt their understanding of the game (even slightly) for the hidden bonues to have the adverse effect on the game I am describing.

As I said - the game has enough trouble attracting and keeping new players as it is. Anything that worsens this is not good. The reaction in this thread is totally typical of these forums - only the relatively experienced players ever bother to sign up and voice their opinions. The new people of the game (who we really need to be aiming at) have no voice here at all esentially - there may be a few exceptions, but no where near enough.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Noone said every unit has a hidden bonus.

i know, but i know for a fact that SA and rex are 2 that do. (or if not a hidden bonus something special happens if you do the right thing)

You make no sense. If you don't know it for sure and you have never seen it, how can you claim with such certainity that they do?

I, in my 20 rounds, have never seen SAs/Rexes do something so obviously special like the iron golems.

Last edited:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I didnt know SA did tbh, rooney what gave you the impression they did have a hidden bonus?

It would be cool if they did!!
x

Garrett

Landscape Designer
ww's also have hidden bonuses. try landing on a full moon.

Ahead

Head Gardener
Werewolves, vamps, sorcs, golems (and possibly dragons and witches) are the only units that I know of having hidden abilities.

rooney, I don't think SAs and rexes do tbh.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Never been a fan of any kind of bonus on a unit tbh never mind hidden ones :S

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Never been a fan of any kind of bonus on a unit tbh never mind hidden ones :S

amen. if it needed a bonus to be relevant then it wasn't designed/balanced correctly to begin with.

the bonuses come off more as bandaids to issues without ever resolving them or a permanent fix in sight.

obviously the fun of some of the mystic route lie within this whole hidden bonus thing... but a) can't enjoy it if you don't know it. especially as a new player b) still won't make the route invincible.

so if it's not a game changer and no one knows that it's there... is it really any fun for anyone other than azzer?

ViVi

Pruner
I've been here for a long time and this is the first time I've ever heard anything about hidden bonuses. News to me. Don't really like the fantasy route, anyway. More things to kill Thugs. Just what I needed! *g*

Tombi

Harvester
really ViVi ive been playing just since the start of this round and ive heard about them :/

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
Bonuses

Bonuses

Werewolves, vamps, sorcs, golems (and possibly dragons and witches) are the only units that I know of having hidden abilities.

rooney, I don't think SAs and rexes do tbh.
rooney you're half right.
its not a hidden bonus, but they do have an easter egg associated with them i'd go as far to say i think azzer confirmed this in irc yonks ago (with 805 certainty). and since then i assumed every purchase unit you can get to do something special. i also got the feel it had a film reference feel to it.

i think its more a news thing or like a bot message from atatcking bots sort of thing. nothing amazing or too incredible like the bonuses that fantasy route has. phase 7of9 =borge hail. etc etc.

also i think sa, is related to james bond. id assume something like you send in an attack against some one and only one sa, survives. something of that ilk. may trigger it but i cba to test. something very rare and unlikely. maybe attacking a player with just attack dogs, with 1 sa. get a nice ratio. i assume thios because jamesbond never dies and kills tons of people. it may be something more basic like hiring 1007 of them. who knows. and i cant believe no one else can remeber that convosation in irc. when we were talking about the front page having (had) those two url links. shows that no one listens these days. memories like a sieve.

and as far fantasy bonuses id look at unit numbers and attacking times and maybe even seasons.

i have been told the following and made some assumptions around the bonuses that they may indeed be of the following nature

vamps attacking at night can lead to a bonus (defensive or attracking unconfirmed)
werewolfs as the description implies. dark allie, or light allie. a preference to night time. especially if maybe there was a full moon (clear stary night)?
witches seem to have supposedly(best ratios page) done up to 4* the damage they normally do i think it is related to numbers that fire(packs of 3) either multipl;es or the number 3 eg 3million may lead to this affect or may not
sirens an unintentional bonus, maybe not the main bonus, that they can stun hence strip the health and armour. then only return the health that was stripped. hence attacking with rpgs/striker and sirens enable you to fully stun the target and allow any health hitter to mop up. after wards very nice unit when combined with armour stripping due to awsome init.
golems invinicible. or just ludicrous armour boost. hence why when against pom, or well flaqcked they were un affected.
azzer mention blue moon. maybe close tick at night. full moon? multiples of 5(both times br had multiple of 5million for the number that were unscathed) and considering its the other side of the fantasy branch it may mirror the ww's ability.
sorcs?
thats two units on each fantasy branch with a hidden bonus. but as it is applied to the vamps it makes me thinkg that the dragons ahve a hidden bonus too. and for fair ness probably gargoyles. who knows maybe all the fantasy units.

Spiky Spoon

Head Gardener
Ok, i'm playing Dragons this round, as upto now i've never seen the Iron Golem thing. But it did just happen to me, against RPGs. It only lasted the one tick tho, as they killed some 2nd tick.

It was monday 28th April
Clear skies
Early Hours

IRL: Saturday 18th at 1:30am - Perhaps linking to sumit like a full moon?
just a suggestion.