• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Irc

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I have been toying with making this thread since the new Operators were announced, but in the interests of giving them time to settle in and giving the members of the channel time to cope with their new staff i refrained from doing so. Given recent events I find myself with no other choice but to post this... Things have come to a head, and we must have a solution.

Night time Operator Coverage is necessary. I complained about this before, the problem was solved, now it's back. Same solution isn't necessary, but one would be appreciated all the same for all the people who use the channel when the European Operators are asleep.

Tonight has been pretty abysmal in the channel, and a little discipline might have gone a long way to restoring order. Almost every time i venture into the channel during my nighttime (GMT -4/-5) I'm forced to watch a stupendous amount of asshattery and generally crap behaviour that simply shouldn't have a place in that channel. It's not accepted during the daytime when the Euros are on, so why the hell is it accepted at night? I'm not entirely innocent in the matter either; but that doesn't tarnish the point any.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: tonight, for the first time, i saw an OP kick someone for misbehaving during the nighttime hours. Kudos Cyrus; keep up the good work. Much as I appreciate your hard work, we can't rely on someone being continuously out of their timezone to control the channel.

Last edited:

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
I agree 100%. When Alci and Asmo were ops, we didn't have this problem. It's chaos in there tonight, and we even have an op tonight. Half of the time we do not have any online ops at this time. That won't do. I suggest opening up recruitment to fill one more op position, someone from the Americas who is on between 2:00 and 7:00 GMT or thereabouts.

Edit: I was actually about to post a Gripe on the same subject :p

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
Totally agree. Cyrus did a fair job, but it would seem quite a few of the people on have little respect for him. There is a definite shortage of OPs during the early morning hours for the Europeans and I a fix would be to find another reliably active person to take over another OP spot during these hours. I feel sorry for Cyrus having to deal with what's been going on in there tonight.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I have hard times understanding why these kicks/bans are not given later on when people comes online? How hard it is to read throught some pages of logs and make sure abusers gets punished? Giving the feeling that you dont get away with abusing is almost as good as actualy being there to stop it.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
squiffy reports are swear words to the Ops channel and i was issuing warnings as soon as i saw them being reported, i did as much as i could do really. when people are spamming WTF Komodo it doesnt report this, and the problem isnt really with 1 person saying WTF Komodo, its the aftermath of saying it. its a troll for spam. spamming is what isnt allowed.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
I agree with BW here. OPs should read through logs and give kick/bans to punish any violators while they were gone.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I think "chaos" is a bit hyperbolic.

This is the first I've heard of problems during the "night time" - (I'm assuming you're referring to GMT -0 night time?)

I know Cyrus raised the issue of some Op activity issues around 4-8am, but as I recall they weren't dire.

It just goes to show that its quite difficult to ensure human moderation at all times though, we do have 8 mods, all of whom are generally very active.

May well be an issue that needs examining more closely, but I can't say I've heard enough people complaining to call it "chaos".

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a warning to users that somehow think disrupting the official channel is actually fun/positive/helps the game/is something Azzer appreciates:
If there are users that are continuously mis-behaving when no ops are on (ie intentionally taking advantage of lack of op cover), and I find out about them, I will take action on their game accounts.

As for op night-time cover, I am looking at possibilities already, including going back through some of the original applications I had for posts of Op and looking through people in America.

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Maybe chaos is a strong word, but it certainly could have been better. No ones blaming the current ops for this, it's just that only one op isn't a Euro at the present time. Cyrus seems to be pretty active at night, but you can't always expect a Brit to be on at stupid o'clock at night.

Inferno

Official Helper
Community Operator
What annoys me is the excuse people come up with of "oh its not spam/ass hattery/w/e because the channel is dead, no-ones talking, would you rather we all go back to a silent channel?" ermmmm yes i would, wtf is the point in putting "Z0mg wtf komodo" and all that crap? if its a silent channel, be CONSTRUCTIVE start a conversation maybe? i thought we where all adults or there abouts? irl if it went silent in a room you wouldnt start chatting **** about wtf komodo or any of the other crap would you? you would start a conversation about a new game, hot girl, technology, w/e.
Please i implore some of you to actually start behaving like the adults you are in real life not your "e-self"

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The excuse that the room was quiet so the rules don't apply is a poor excuse, and doesn't hold water with me. The players doing this should know better - but I know what this is all about.

The players doing it are intentionally trying to be disruptive to give the new ops/mods a hard-time (for whatever purposes), but in doing so they're attacking me, the room, the game, and every other user. This is immature, and selfish.

I know who's doing it, because I've been given logs from private chats where the "plans to do it" are being discussed. I've warned a couple of the "ringleaders" in private already that they had "Better start behaving". If they really want to push my buttons, they're going to discover land can magically disappear from their ID's, as can troops, cash, and anything else I want to tinker with. I'll "spam their accounts" with number removals, but I'll do it when they're offline because apparently doing bad things is allowed when somebody's being quiet... ;)

Matthew

BANNED
Asmo and Alci for op again!!!!!!

rawr

I have suggested this in another thread and entirely agree. Not primarily because of their timezone but because of their rapport with the community and activity. Thoroughly agree with this.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
The excuse that the room was quiet so the rules don't apply is a poor excuse, and doesn't hold water with me. The players doing this should know better - but I know what this is all about.

The players doing it are intentionally trying to be disruptive to give the new ops/mods a hard-time (for whatever purposes), but in doing so they're attacking me, the room, the game, and every other user. This is immature, and selfish.

Thank you.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I have been toying with making this thread since the new Operators were announced, but in the interests of giving them time to settle in and giving the members of the channel time to cope with their new staff i refrained from doing so. Given recent events I find myself with no other choice but to post this... Things have come to a head, and we must have a solution.

Night time Operator Coverage is necessary. I complained about this before, the problem was solved, now it's back. Same solution isn't necessary, but one would be appreciated all the same for all the people who use the channel when the European Operators are asleep.

Tonight has been pretty abysmal in the channel, and a little discipline might have gone a long way to restoring order. Almost every time i venture into the channel during my nighttime (GMT -4/-5) I'm forced to watch a stupendous amount of asshattery and generally crap behaviour that simply shouldn't have a place in that channel. It's not accepted during the daytime when the Euros are on, so why the hell is it accepted at night? I'm not entirely innocent in the matter either; but that doesn't tarnish the point any.

Thanks in advance!

The channel has gone to **** again for nights. Someone fix this please before you drive away more sensible, reasonable (and capably mature) players than you already have.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
To agree with Alci, the only op online now is British (and therefore could just as likely not be online).

Inferno

Official Helper
Community Operator
Indeed. and i would like to go to bed soon, but there is noone watching the chan (not that it needs supervision 100% of the time)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
If the OP(s) responsible for operating at a time when things do break down, it is well worth PM'ing them and pasting them anything important. OPs can punish for things after they've happened and it is something that has been practised before (I myself banned someone for a day 5 hours after they'd acted up' - Polo posted details in the staff forums and I acted on it as soon as I found out)

We should be getting it into the heads of those who do like to act up', that if they take advantage of a lack of coverage/attention then they'll simply be given longer bans.

Generally, from what I've experienced personally, there has been much less hassle on both IRC and the forums since the round has started/the new OPs have settled in.