Hi! I'm new, was hoping for some help

Refined

Weeder
So I've read through the manual, but it seems to be a bit outdated(?) I was hoping I could get a few tips and tricks from you guys.

Played a bit four years ago when my friend came for the summer and introduced me to this, just remembered about this game a few days ago and was hoping to get into it for a bit of fun :)

CLem

Head Gardener
Back on topic, refine you need to tell us more about the level you are playing st. What you are struggling with, etc. as you know the game mechanics is vast so your question is too broad

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazzy

Head Gardener
Welcome!

The very are basics:

1) Acquire land
2) Keep said land
3) ??
4) Profit

Are you solo or allied? Understand basics like attacking and harvester counts? Which route are you? Etc ...

If you need specifics feel free to message pretty much anyone, we're all very oppinionated and will have lots to say.

- Gazzy.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I'm probably one of those people you should stay away from according to Stargazer (who probably can't give a decent explanation of flakking), but I tihnk you'll find some helpful posts in this thread http://bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5590

Browse through the posts, as not everything is included in the first one

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Childish forum feud ensues - Egos aside, I hope you stick around. Always around to help if you need advice, alongside many others via the helper function.

Happy Bushing!

Steve_God

Official Helper
In short, (and so expand on what Gazzy said):
To do well, you need money to buy stuff...
To buy stuff, you need to sell plants...
To get plants, you need to plant seeds [using gardeners]...
To get seeds, you need to have land [and have harvesters].

So to get more money, you need more land.
^^ This is the key to the game. Land = Money = Staff = Score

It's standard to buy land up to around 1k or so, and then it's more protifable to buy troops to steal land off others (initially using flakking [combination of gardeners with geos])

After that, it's all war... and depending on your route, will decides what tactics are best in each situation.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
So I've read through the manual, but it seems to be a bit outdated(?)

I was thinking that reading through yesterday, actually. Do we have the capacity to edit the manual, or does that too require Azzer?

Anyway, fire away with specific questions and someone will answer them :)

Last edited:

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
MattM - Some staff members have powers over the manual (i think they are limited though)

Refined - The best advice I can offer is find an alliance that is active on the boards or mIRC, so when you have a specific question, you can ask without getting flamed too much. The game really relies on activity, game knowledge, and stubbornness(or resilience). If you can master all three, you'll do well.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
In short, (and so expand on what Gazzy said):
To do well, you need money to buy stuff...
To buy stuff, you need to sell plants...
To get plants, you need to plant seeds [using gardeners]...
To get seeds, you need to have land [and have harvesters].

So to get more money, you need more land.
^^ This is the key to the game. Land = Money = Staff = Score

It's standard to buy land up to around 1k or so, and then it's more protifable to buy troops to steal land off others (initially using flakking [combination of gardeners with geos])

After that, it's all war... and depending on your route, will decides what tactics are best in each situation.

An obvious addition to Steve's post is that the more land you have for your score the more likely you will be attacked as other people will want to take your land. If you only have 10 troops defending 1000 acres - people would rather hit you than someone who has 100 troops defending 1000 acres. Just a patronizing illustration but it's an important thing to bear in mind.

Good luck!

Refined

Weeder
Wow, the response here has been awesome, thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

So I'm looking to be a solo player until I get a good understanding of the game, so definitely looking to be solo for the rest of this round.

I'm not sure what tech tree I want to go - the manual's player tips showed some recommending military if I'm in an alliance, Spec Ops if I'm solo? Could I get some clarification on that?

And in response to Gazzy, I actually don't really understand harvester/gardener counts - am I to have a certain number for each bush acre I hold? The manual stated that I also need a crap ton of harvesters because they work at 5% efficiency at night (which is nice and realistic, I actually like that).

Every bit of help counts, thanks Martin :) I don't know much about the game, as the manual covered a lot of the basics, but barely any specifics when it came down to the whole "how should I approach this game?" question, in regards to tech trees, starting strategies; there was just a few comments from players, and a lot of the information provided seemed pretty opinionated, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dimitar, thanks for the link on flakking :D It's been really helpful, I'll refer to it once I start building up my army, for sure.

Thanks for the welcomes Dax and tobapopalos, and thanks to everyone for the helpful answers so far!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You will find that a lot of advice given by players is massively subjective. We all have our own personal tastes as to which routes are best, which tactics are best, etc. That's just the way it is.

Military might be a bad idea if you're solo because people will land on you very easily compared to other routes. Strikers are the best choice for solo play out of this route because of their durability and high damage, plus you can buy cheap LET flak in the form of privates if you wish.

Special ops (secret agents) is a good choice, but only if you buy the purchase unit. The stealth aspect puts off a lot of potential attackers and you will hold on to land easier, not to mention that you can have both armour and health killers in one route.

In my opinion, you shouldn't rule out the Petrol Bomber branch of the thug route. They are very cheap, very powerful, and you will destroy flak. It is also highly flexible in the number of ways you can play the route whilst simultaneously being easy to learn.

As to your question on harvesters, yes, you will need a number for each acre you have. The numbers you need (taken from the manual) are as follows:

Tree acre: 44 harvesters per acre
Bush acre: 140 harvesters per acre
Flower acre: 540 harvesters per acre
Grass acre: 1400 harvesters per acre

This does take into account the fact that harvesters only work at 5% efficiency at night. So if your total land count is 400 acres and you have 100 of each land type (not recommended btw. Stick to tree/bush if you are buying your acres. But simply for illustration purposes...) the number of harvesters you require will be:

(44 x 100) + (140 x 100) + (540 x 100) + (1400 x 100) = 212,400

Gazzy

Head Gardener
Routes are VERY subjective. My advice is pick one that takes your fancy and try it out. All have strengths and weaknesses but it really comes down to your play style.

However, if I was to suggest one, it would be Fantasy - Dragons. You can develop quickly, have easy to use troops (they target ALL, so you don't have to worry about unit types till you have more experience) and the purchase unit is fun but not totally necessary.

Hope this helps!

- Gazzy.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Everyone has their own preference, it depends on how you want to play. My take on the routes is as follows.

Spec Ops - SA - A good solo route overall, the stealth aspect makes many would-be attackers bugger off. Sleeping Gas Traps are very effective at stopping flak, but you need good sweepers. Health-Based lethals tend to die more easily though.

- Puppets - good if you just want to have fun. Dies easily, but you can bribe an army up easily enough if you try.

-Bunkers -THE solo route, bunkers with sentry turrets are very difficult to land on, and with plenty of Ninjas to flak your troops, makes them a tank. You won't be able to attack much unless you just mass flak though, as bunkers and sentry turrets are immobile.

Military - RPG - Very powerful anti-armor route. Not very good solo though as many folks will attack you just to kill your troops.

Harrier - not as good as RPG at killing armor, but better at running solo. Harriers are fragile but fairly strong and fast anti-armor. Rangers are very tough, target pure lethals, and do a fair bit of damage. F-117 is decent for killing flak.

Striker - Tougher than Harriers and RPG, they don't do as much damage and tend to be more expensive. It's not a bad solo route, Apaches target Lethals and Innocents (flak) which can be useful for stopping flak-attacks. Marines are pretty epic, being very hard to kill and doing decent damage for a very cheap price. Not a bad route for solo at all.

Fantasy - Vampires - Typically a good solo route. Vampires do a bit of armor damage, fire at the same time as SA, and are stealth. Makes for a decent route. Mummies are very tough, and do a little extra Armor damage before vamps. Werewolves are cheap and fairly tough for their price, having a bit of armor. Not a bad solo route.

Dragons - A powerful route used correctly. Their Sorcs targeting ALL and doing quite a bit of damage makes this route unlikely to be flakked or pommed. Dragons do a lot of damage, and the whole route tends to put off would-be attackers. Sirens are good for keeping TLs away. A good solo or allied route. Tends to die to robo.

Thug - Petrol - Petrol Bombers are very effective at killing if they fire. Early round they pretty much own the game until nanos come out. Later round, they do well combined with bikers to kill poms. They die easily though, and fire late. Jeeps are one of the toughest units in the game, having a massive amount of armor, and TL do a bit of armor damage and a bit of Health damage. They are effective at killing just about anything if you have enough of them. Terrorists are good for clearing out flak.

Attack dogs - Dogs are cheap lethal flak and will scare most folks off if you last-tick with a lot of them, the rest of the route is the same as above with jeeps being replaced by the rather useless unit, nutters.

Arsonists - Effective at blocking poms before they fire, you can essentially send an ETA 3 attack with gardeners, thiefs, and arsonists and steal land off of a pom.

Protestor - Political Masterminds - an often under rated route by newer folks as it doesn't really have lethals. This route excells at blocking other troops, particulaly flak and non-armor lethals. There isn't a lot out there that kills these well, and you will be more capable of keeping your own land. However, as a solo, be prepared to have everyone and their mother try to steal your land or bribe your troops. Decent solo route, very good for alliances. Hypnotists are a decent unit for bribing, I got the bribing award with these in just under a week.

Violent Demonstrators - I have never actually played this route. It has gurus to stopping land, and terrorist leaders for killing stuff. I'm not sure how good VD are at killing, I've seen them kill poms somewhat effectively.

Extremists - an extremely defensive route. Early round, the rebel is useful for hitting those pesky PB that think they can rule the world, with Extremists and Fanatics, you can scare off most attackers on your last-tick by doing massive amounts of damage. They only fire close range though. It takes a VERY active and VERY contactable person to play extremist effectively. Otherwise, everyone will just kill you off at range.

Robo - Shields - Shields are cheap and very high-armor lethal flak. Cyborg Gardeners are armored flak. This route excells at getting land in the right hands. Cybernetic Warriors are heavily armored and do a fair bit of damage, while Tyrant Drones are less armored but do more damage. They are the bread and butter of your lethals in any robo route. Not a terrible solo route, be prepared for people to regularly try to kill your troops though.

PA - Autos and Psychopathic Androids are cheap and armored. Autos are an early flak and hippy killer, can be used for lethal flak later. PA fire very early and does health damage, a decent health-hunter.

Nanos - The best robo-solo route in my opinion. You have Stun Bots and Nanobots here. Stun bots fire very late, are non-lethal disablers (as opposed to distractors) so they are targetted by even less than poms. This makes them good for sweeping up after the rest of your troops to save your land. Mass amounts of small droids with some stun bots to sweep will make you very difficult to steal from. Nanobots are very tough, with a fair amount of armor and health, they fire mid-range and close range, while replicating themselves for every troop they kill. People may only attack you at range though, recalling and resending until all your troops are dead.

All 3 robo routes have the same P-unit options. Scraps and T-Rex. Neither are really worth your money, but they are both fun to play with. You can use scraps to make gargantua (the single most powerful unit in the game available for players) which fire mid and close. It takes a lot of time and effort though. T-Rex are the 2nd most powerful, firing only close range, but you don't have to build them. A few million of these at close range should keep most folks away.

Well, thats my "slightly" still-asleep take on all the routes. Take this all with a grain of salt, I have played most routes, but some have been a while ago, and everyone's experience will differ based on their circumstances. :p I almost always play solo.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
As a solo without your P-Unit (which is the unit at the end of the tech tree which you have to spend £5 on).
You should go Striker or Nano - both are fairly pricey so will take a decent amount effort early on. Petrol Bombers are another viable option.

As a solo with your P-Unit:
Bunkers, Sorcerers, Secret Agents, Vampires.

I've PMed you to offer a PNAP, I'm Psychopathic Android branch of robotics. A compliment to me would be Striker or Petrol Bombers (non-P-Unit). Or Sorcerers, Secret Agents or Vampires (with P-Unit).

To save time hopefully people here will vouch for me as a PNAP, primarily for tips and a port of contact for any questions :)