Dota 2

Max

Garden Designer
Watched a video for n00bs today - OMG there is so much micromanagement required LOL!

Looks like there is a lot of deep strategy once you get into it mind you. Two questions:

1) why play dota 2 rather than LoL

2) any good suggestions for n00b (read easy micro) heroes in dota 2? Something to learn the basics with?

Alvestein

Garden Designer
I didn't like LoL having played it a bit. It's got no juking involved (the terrain doesn't provide dynamic fog of war) and the heroes aren't very inventive in my opinion.

You also don't get punished anywhere near as heavily for being bad (some might see this as a good thing). So no loss of gold on death etc.

The biggest put off for some people is that the more you play, the more in game stuff you unlock i.e. more skills, more heroes. This seems unfair as it's no longer based on skill but hours played. This does stop though after a certain level i think but just seems counter productive to noobs.

2) I'd say Zeus. I learnt with him. or Lich. two really easy heroes. or CM.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
Watched a video for n00bs today - OMG there is so much micromanagement required LOL!

Looks like there is a lot of deep strategy once you get into it mind you. Two questions:

2) any good suggestions for n00b (read easy micro) heroes in dota 2? Something to learn the basics with?

Drow Ranger and Sniper are good first heroes because their abilities don't require too much management. Plus killing stuff is fun.

Lich is a fun support though.

Souls

Official Helper
I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn with crystal maiden, Hiuey. She could get solo'd by a creep :p

Alvestein

Garden Designer

Drow Ranger and Sniper are good first heroes because their abilities don't require too much management. Plus killing stuff is fun.

I kind of disagree with people learning with those heroes. Same with riki, bloodseeker etc. It starts people in a terrible mind set to steal kills and not help the team. It also stops someone who probably knows the game better from playing the carry role.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
I would probably start off with DK. Tanky, has a bit of utility, and can serve well even if he's not very farmed with his stun, nuke and elder dragon form. Drow Ranger is a decent ranged hero to start with if you want to deal damage. For supports I'd go lich or maybe lion. Don't feel locked to the support role just because you're a noob though. The game needs more good supports than good carries imo. Just focus on not dying, and you'll be doing a splendid job for your first few games.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator

I kind of disagree with people learning with those heroes. Same with riki, bloodseeker etc. It starts people in a terrible mind set to steal kills and not help the team. It also stops someone who probably knows the game better from playing the carry role.

Given that your first number of games should be against bots, I don't think this matters as much!

You should definitely try all of the limited-pool heroes vs the bots before really wading in.

Max

Garden Designer
I downloaded it and gave it a go this morning. It would be bad enough if there were just 100 heroes with different skills to learn... but all those items as well?! Haha!

I am sure if I put the time in I would enjoy it a lot more, but since I don't have the intensive concentrated time it requires to learn, I'm gonna have to shelve it.

Thanks for your help and advise though guys :) Pity I have other hobbies I don't wanna give up xD

Mattheus

Head Gardener
I'm no dota expert, but I'd say good heroes for newbs arrrrre..
viper - only 2 spells and his passive makes last hitting easy as piss. Something which a lot of newbs struggle with.
Lich, you can be useful with sacrifice, and his ult is easy and can often get some kills, especially in lower games where people don't know how to split.
Jakiro, some may disagree here, but ice wall is such a ****ing useful spell for the team, and while the cast delay may take a bit of getting used to, it's not that hard, and once you do your team will love you.
Venomancer - he's really powerful this patch, dunno what else to say really.
Lion - he has 2 easy to hit active stuns/disables, and a really easy and powerful ulti. Plus you can easily regain your mana by draining a ranged creep.
Skeleton king - only has 1 active spell, use your Q, then club him in the face. Rinse repeat.

I'm basing this on my own experience, I only started playing about 3 months ago and have only 200 or so games. You'll find everyone will have their own opinion on what the best newb heroes are, just go with what you think sounds cool at the end of the day.

Also, a resource I've found really useful while learning is http://www.dota2alttab.com/ When you end up with a hero you've never played before it's really useful to quickly alt tab and check the suggested items and skill guide at a glance. Some of the in game suggested items are a little suspect, I've found this to be more accurate. While there's the odd outdated or weird skill build/item suggestion there it's still pretty handy.

Oh, and on a side note, I can't emphasise enough how happy I am that spirit breaker has fallen out of popularity since the patch. That hero was the biggest ****ing pain ever. And he was almost guaranteed to be in every ****ing game :p

Max

Garden Designer
Dota 2 alt tab - exactly the resource I was after to help with item decisions! I think I'll give it another go tomorrow now. Especially after Razor just spouted the most ridiculous yet strangely endearing physics puns on electricity :p

Edit: favourite quotes include - "Worth lightening my purse." - "Gold is a great conductor." - "Conduct me where you will."

Such an enormous source of potential bushtarion names... xD

Last edited:

Yang

Harvester
yeah drop me a invite or so if you are gaming, will most likely play

Alvestein

Garden Designer
yo.

There's enough of us playing (regularly). we should organise some inhouse bushies :)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Is this game easy enough to just pick up and play? Tempted.