• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Counter the contactability frustration!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Wow this idea is ****ing retarded.

No, no, and no. I don't even really need to explain why since the reasons are so blatant.

Now I really miss a "like" button in here.

You could always rep a post by clicking this button next to post...
reputation.gif

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
There is a way to increase the likelihood of BR's despite contactability remaining.
A function within "Planetarion" and other 'vessel' style games is a period of time (for our example, say a tick) after returning from an attack where your army that partook need to resupply/refuel/rest/etc, where they cannot be sent out on another movement.

This style of 'resupplying phase' would mean that technically, any player can be killed or at least fought regardless of their being online or not (note that defence can still be sent, you just wouldn't be able to send out the returning staff yourself).

The clear downside is there will still be contactability wanted for defence, but it negates it for rushes. It will have a massive effect on combat strategies, and will indefinitely bring swings and roundabouts (and victory to the more persistent, I guess) to the desperately in-need alliance-play.

It's just an idea I had randomly whilst talking with my friend trying to explain that game that has previously played Planetarion and the like.

EDIT: Note that this would also exclude solo players, and defending mobs (in the interests of fairness, I guess - but this is also welcome to suggestion).

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
If I understand you correctly DaX, it appears you are suggesting that there will be at least one tick after every mob return where your troops cannot be sent out? I sincerely hope not as that is, to paraphrase myself, ****ing retarded.

I am against any sort of ingame mechanic that prevents you from being able to send out and save your units. Even if you are online. If there ever becomes a point where there is a GUARANTEED way to kill someone if you are persistent and clever enough, then that will be the final nail in the coffin of this game. It's like having a big red KILL button.

Making players inevitably killable would ruin this game. Game mechanics that ensure your death are, to be charitable, awful ideas.

Last edited:

Kingdroid

Head Gardener
It's not ensuring anyone's death. it's ensuring that you have to play more intelligently to avoid it, rather than more actively/contactable(y).

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
If there's a point where you cannot send out at all, then that's practically speaking ensuring someone's death. Perhaps there is something here that I'm missing but it seems like this idea, in it's current state, is not a great one.

Someone enlighten me.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
It's not ensuring anyone's death. it's ensuring that you have to play more intelligently to avoid it, rather than more actively/contactable(y).

No. Sorry, i agree 100% with Alci.

You send an attack. People see it. They mass you to align with the tick you get home. You are ****ed. End of. Period.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

You send an attack. People see it. They mass you to align with the tick you get home. You are ****ed. End of. Period.

It's just an idea that still works in a game that still has their playerbase.

Make your own conclusions as to what that means about our game, that is dead, and apparently 'is perfectly fine as it is'.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Make your own conclusions as to what that means about our game, that is dead, and apparently 'is perfectly fine as it is'.

Well not all games are the same, and bushtarion is more or less unique in my experience. Granted i'm not a user of planetarion, but that doesn't stop me from seeing the flaws here in the implementation of your idea. What works for one game won't automatically work for another. Presumably planetarion has a bigger playerbase for more reasons than because there is a "rest" period for mobs. :roll:

The conclusions i'm drawing are that if you can die regardless of your actions ingame, then players will quit, in droves. Your suggestion would potentially solve one problem, but causes a myriad of others. Substituting causes for decline is no benefit to anyone.

I have never said, and I don't think anyone ever will say, that this game is "perfectly fine as it is". Don't put words in people's mouth, DaX. This game has flaws, some serious, some not so much; but that doesn't mean that a good idea for another game, is a good idea for this game. I'd love to be able to keep playing this game for years on end, and I'd welcome any and all suggestions that would be feasible, sensible, and possible. Your idea fails in all three categories unfortunately. Don't take it personally.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer

They have that because there's pretty much no way to be offline when you get attacked with 1 hour ticks... and they don't "still have a player base" because you can always get a BR, they still have a playerbase because you don't need to be able to log in with a 10 minute notice if you want to be competitive.

Stop being stupid.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
As I said, it was merely an intriguing suggestion after a conversation with a friend - Nothing more.

I suggested my serious ideas for countering it before (and it was pretty similar to Polo's without even seeing his idea, so it must be alright), and most people seemed supportive. I even supported my idea with a PW, that many claimed to have enjoyed, and found evenly-balanced - I don't see anybody else really putting any effort into testing their suggestions (if possible, anyway).

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
the idea original is bad, because i have had many a time i just get a feeling inb my bones i need to check in and the amount oif times ive sent out randomly from an attacking for 3 incoming is unbelievable. then again i do refresh every 50minutes unless on skyrim....so i wouldnt be affected by this idea. but still a bad one. so many reasons

the even worse idea. would be you cannot send out when returning. imagine the resistance all of them sending at some one who is garenteed to die. because rank 1 decided to hit rank 2 and, rank 2 and 3 and 4 are working together to reist rank 1. there would be nothing they could do to run. Solo play would be impossible. and seriously give some routes a hard time.

rpg returning lets send to be there before he gets back, and then he can defend me last tick infact has to defend me last tick cant send out and not only does he lose land but i get free bribes/convert/kills. This idea would require a complete overhaul of game mechanics to make fair, even remotely playable/fun, and is infact just creating a whole new game. with similarities to bushtarion

polos idea is just as good as it was at the time of conception, and my views have changed too little to warrent a mention.