Ezekiel

Harvester
314b0465287b664.jpg

yeah, that's 72 kills and a nuke lol.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I've now completed the campaign and played the online multiplayer for around 12 hours.

I have to say that having given the online a real chance to shine, it hasn't, much.

I've been hammering team deathmatch and what strikes you as being one of the bigger flaws is the distinct lack of maps. There *appears* to be an "ok" number of maps for online play, but the variety between them is almost none-existant. I find myself leaving lobbys time and time again because the map is the same one I played last game (More often than not Skidrow, Estate, Afghan or Highrise)

Not only that, but I'm just not "getting" many of these maps. A lot of them are very built up, apartment block type maps that indulge the sneaky camper who can simply sit in a window and kill passers by.

Graphics wise, the game is pretty much exactly the same as COD4. Which is another dissapointment, imo.

-

As for issues that aren't the developers fault, the skill level of the average gamer is now much higher than in times gone by. The reason I no longer play Counter Strike is that you very simply can't play on a server without being owned by guys who play it hardcore. I'm not a particularly bad/good player, my accuracy is rank #2 on my friends list at the moment, but I find myself struggling massively to play even decently in many games.

My fear is that COD is turning into an exclusively hardcore game, where casual to semi-serious gamers can't venture for fear of being owned within 12 seconds of spawning.

That said, that issue possibly is partially Infinity Ward's fault - I'm level 24/25 at the moment, yet I'm being matched with 50+. This has always confused me given there are at least a million people playing COD at any one time - Is it that difficult to make sure I'm not going to be matched against someone with an average +30 kill/death spread? I imagine the game makes those matchmaking decisions based on having a level 50 on either side, to make it fairer, but that doesn't stop the reason of the team being owned by someone twice their level.

My experiences and views are fairly similar. I am yet to complete the campaign mode but have started it though.
Online I have notched up about 10-12 hours I believe and am level 25-27 ish. I find the same as DA, yet unlike him, I am bored by it... You can only use the same levels which appear over and over and you play people who are immense at the game. I have had most of my online time during the day and I do ok, above average. However if I happen to play the game in the evenings I just get utterly destroyed, bottom of the pile in 9/10 games. This completly ruins the experience for me as I don't get a chance unless I spend so so so many hours practicing and as a casual gamer (at the very best) I have no way to compete with these players.

I know it's the age old "Well obviously people who play more should be better" - I have no quarms with this, but I would like to be pitched against people more my level...

marvin

Tree Surgeon
Anyone else, who played the original CoD on the PC, noticed that the Wasteland map is pretty much a remake of the old Brecourt map?

That map was epic.

Also is anyone here Marty Jacko or BlemishedData? Two randomers that added me :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Anyone else, who played the original CoD on the PC, noticed that the Wasteland map is pretty much a remake of the old Brecourt map?

That map was epic.

Also is anyone here Marty Jacko or BlemishedData? Two randomers that added me :p

Ya Marty Jacko is me. I didn't put it on here for, well in a nutshell it's the same as my email address and when one of my friends google'd it, it came up on these forums. So I went through all other threads with Marty Jacko (as one word) in it and had to edit it out... because my friends don't know I play Bushtarion.

I am also going to edit your post marvin to make it 2 words ;p

Treedude

Harvester
See this is weird reading DA and Martys comments, I've found exactly the opposite.

Personally I had never played any CoD until the first modern warfare and online on that and in WaW I absolutely struggled with my kill/death ratio, in WaW i was battling to keep it around 0.6 (which is terrible I know)
But in MW2 I've actually got a positive ratio. Think it helps with all the kill streaks now, Supply Drop has been the main saving grace, just need to get 4 kills and I could get something awesome.
In terms of the maps I've not really had much problem with repetition, not sure if it varies from game mode to game mode tho (I've been playing Ground War the whole time, just love having more people in the mix, could also be a reason why I've not experienced the mutiny with players who play it alot more dominating all the time)

In terms of that I would have thought you'd get more of the "elite" players during the day Marty? the poor saps like me who work (or go to school/uni) and are more casual don't just sit around all day playing CoD (don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do that again :p ).

Also the fact that it's not been out very long won't help with the matchmaking, as with anything you get people who are naturally better at it and the gap between players will be much smaller at the moment than it actually can be (unless I'm mistaken I don't think anyone has made it to Prestige 10 yet, or if they have they haven't been there long)

Oh and the best way to get better at something is to compete against people who are better than you, just think of it that way (thats what killcams are for). And besides, a cynic would say your complaints are just because you are teh sukz0rz at it........fortunately I'm not a cynic tho...much

EDIT: Is anyone else surprised that Marty managed to keep his horrendous bushtarion addiction problems secret from people he knows in real life? :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Oh and the best way to get better at something is to compete against people who are better than you, just think of it that way (thats what killcams are for). And besides, a cynic would say your complaints are just because you are teh sukz0rz at it........fortunately I'm not a cynic tho...much

You're also on my friends list, and you're not one of the two people who have greater accuracy than me, so this can't be it :p

(Ollie is top of my friends list accuracy, at ~20%, I forget who the other guy is)

Treedude

Harvester

You're also on my friends list, and you're not one of the two people who have greater accuracy than me, so this can't be it :p

(Ollie is top of my friends list accuracy, at ~20%, I forget who the other guy is)

Alright, chill out. Wasnt being entirely serious but if you want to go down that route I'm sure I can dig up some other stats :p

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Lol. You think accuracy is what makes a good player?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Lol. You think accuracy is what makes a good player?

Um - Well you generally need to be able to shoot straight to be good, so ya :p

I wasn't being funny rob, just I knew people would assume that I'm crap by my post, I'm not crap, I'm just not "good" compared to the average guy playing these days.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Um - Well you generally need to be able to shoot straight to be good, so ya :p

Accuracy rank means **** all. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether someone has 19% accuracy or 20% accuracy. The guy with 19% might score less hits, but he might be using a submachine gun most of the time rather than a sniper rifle.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that K/D spread gives a better impression of ability (still not a perfect one) than accuracy % does.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Tbh ive found the complete opposite to DA. Overall i sucked at Cod4...i rarely managed to kill more times than i died (not that it bothered me lol) whereas im finding myself at the top of my team on at least half the games ive played over the past few days. I wouldn't say the skill level of players overall has increased at all.

Edit: Im not trying to claim I'm amazing or anything (quite the opposite im sure :p) but just that I haven't found myself matched unfairly against other players/teams so far at all. :D

I will agree that the same maps are popping up a fair bit but i have yet to find a map which i really dislike...all of them seam balanced and fun to me and i keep finding new ways to play them.

Also me and one of my housemates have started playing through the special ops missions which are pretty fun and some fairly challenging.

Woop woop!

Last edited:

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
You have to realise that the only people that played cod4 recently were the hardcore players or decent players, now 1 in 44 people in the UK have this new cod so it will be full of noobs for the next month or two :p

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
You have to realise that the only people that played cod4 recently were the hardcore players or decent players, now 1 in 44 people in the UK have this new cod so it will be full of noobs for the next month or two :p

Saying that, I've actually done fairly well this evening :D

Treedude

Harvester
Also me and one of my housemates have started playing through the special ops missions which are pretty fun and some fairly challenging.

Woop woop!

Aye I love the special ops mode, great addition. Just love how many different missions there are and the ones with one person on some sort of heavy weaponry with the other person on the ground are awesome, brings a whole new dimension to it. I haven't even unlocked all the missions yet, need 3 more stars to get the last set.

I've not got nukes Ezekiel, I think a 25 kill streak is a bit beyond me :p

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Everybody that does get a 25 kills streak should go out more often.
Its not healthy ;)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Woop woop!

Aye I love the special ops mode, great addition. Just love how many different missions there are and the ones with one person on some sort of heavy weaponry with the other person on the ground are awesome, brings a whole new dimension to it. I haven't even unlocked all the missions yet, need 3 more stars to get the last set.

I've not got nukes Ezekiel, I think a 25 kill streak is a bit beyond me :p

Yeah, we were playing the one where one of you is in an AC130 and the other has to get across the map last night and even I felt a bit sad at how into it we were getting...I believe my mate used the phrase "he's on your 6" lol!

Max

Garden Designer
I've got to ask, what does the game actually involve? Is it just walking around shooting and blasting one another like every other FPS or is it deeper than that? I know nothing about it but everyone seems to think it's the best thing since scrambled eggs :D

Steve_God

Official Helper
I've got to ask, what does the game actually involve? Is it just walking around shooting and blasting one another like every other FPS or is it deeper than that? I know nothing about it but everyone seems to think it's the best thing since scrambled eggs :D
Pretty much yeah - but it's like the perfected FPS game! :p