Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

timtadams

Landscape Designer
i loved the M21 sniper, with stopping power :D Oh the kill streaks...

F*ck man, i gotta stop fantasizing about COD4 and get back to studying my arse off

/me logs off net

Tombi

Harvester
Way to kill off the Pc audience, IW

I think you're being a little sad.

i've bought it for PC, and don't have any problems with the fact that there aren't dedicated servers.

Maybe but if you see it from my point of view where i played COD4 in a Clan, we had Matches you could enter the server name and password protect it so that it would just be you and your opponents playing, i haven't purchased the pc version but from what i have gathered its 99.99999% impossible to repeat the above now that there are no dedicated servers, Sad? I think not.
Pissed off at IW? Yes

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
If you can't enjoy a game for the reason that you're no longer able to play dedicated servers, then you have my deepest sympathies. It is a great game, and to let (what is such a little thing to me) bother you so deeply that you won't play garners you my sympathy.

The only reason i can see being mad at this is for those australians/oceanics who are forced to match up with players from across the world and thus get lagged to **** by the hosts. Other than that? Get over it, and play a fun game.

From what i've understood so far, you can have 'friends' and a 'friends list' exactly similar to the xbox version, and you can play games grouped. No it's not going to be a 'friends only' match unless you get enough of your friends to fill an entire match-full. But neither has it done away with the ability to play with your friends. So it's definitely not 99.9% impossible to play with pretty much only you and your friends and since you have a clan, i'm sure there would always be enough of you to play Team games. It might be a little harder, and require you to coordinate a little better, but a gamebreaker? No i rather think not. It's not 'dedicated servers' but it amounts to pretty much the same thing.

Then again, less of you people playing the game, the more noob friendly it is, so it really doesn't bother me ;)

Souls

Official Helper
If you can't enjoy a game for the reason that you're no longer able to play dedicated servers, then you have my deepest sympathies. It is a great game, and to let (what is such a little thing to me) bother you so deeply that you won't play garners you my sympathy.

The only reason i can see being mad at this is for those australians/oceanics who are forced to match up with players from across the world and thus get lagged to **** by the hosts. Other than that? Get over it, and play a fun game.

From what i've understood so far, you can have 'friends' and a 'friends list' exactly similar to the xbox version, and you can play games grouped. No it's not going to be a 'friends only' match unless you get enough of your friends to fill an entire match-full. But neither has it done away with the ability to play with your friends. So it's definitely not 99.9% impossible to play with pretty much only you and your friends and since you have a clan, i'm sure there would always be enough of you to play Team games. It might be a little harder, and require you to coordinate a little better, but a gamebreaker? No i rather think not. It's not 'dedicated servers' but it amounts to pretty much the same thing.

Then again, less of you people playing the game, the more noob friendly it is, so it really doesn't bother me ;)

I'm more peeved at the fact that they took out all the customisation that made MLG possible. It's not that we think the game is bad without it, or that we're bawwwwing over not being able to cheat, it's that we're not allowed to have fun with all the settings that are still blatantly modifiable. I don't know how many other FPSes for PC you've played, but look at any one with dedicated servers and you'll realise how many non-ranked servers aren't team v. team. I know that Battlefield 2 had a plethora of "fun" servers, from hide and seek to capture the "flag", etc. :p

Tombi

Harvester

Hehe Well I see your point, but from a competitive view the game is a no go area anymore, Yes If i had it on PC i would play it for enjoyment aswell as Competition. Also now that there are no admins its very easy to cheat and get away with it also you can easily modify your rank to the highest one (as someone at college demonstrated to me) and the inability to kick hackers makes the game less and less attractive And the fact that the host will always have a 0 ping compared to the other players gives them the advantage over everyone everytime.

Now i may be looking at this from a Negative aspect, but Meh i expect the Pc version of a Multiplatform game to be more advanced compared against the Console version, Matchmaking is a step back IMO but each to there own :)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Ive been plying cod with 3 other friends today on split screen and it's mint !

Still only played a bit online and it's mental.
So hard to pick up the drops...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Fair enough guys. But i've seen a fair few videos of guys with unlimited ammo, thousands of exp per kill etc. Obviously the game is still moddable. Maybe not as easily, or obviously, but people have done it.

Either way, i love it so nananananana ;)

Tombi

Harvester
Fair enough guys. But i've seen a fair few videos of guys with unlimited ammo, thousands of exp per kill etc. Obviously the game is still moddable. Maybe not as easily, or obviously, but people have done it.

Seen some of them too but as i don't play it on PC i don't know how widespread (Or not) the problem is hehe :)

Souls

Official Helper

These are people who changed the values to make the developer console appear, and are using it maliciously. ;P

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

These are people who changed the values to make the developer console appear, and are using it maliciously. ;P

but surely it can also be used for positive results, that aren't necessarily annoying as those above?

Souls

Official Helper

but surely it can also be used for positive results, that aren't necessarily annoying as those above?

Of course, those people just haven't gotten around to doing so yet. :p

Podunk

Head Gardener
60$ is too much for a computer game! :p
I'm gonna wait till a steam weekend deal on it comes up and snag it for 30$.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I've now completed the campaign and played the online multiplayer for around 12 hours.

I have to say that having given the online a real chance to shine, it hasn't, much.

I've been hammering team deathmatch and what strikes you as being one of the bigger flaws is the distinct lack of maps. There *appears* to be an "ok" number of maps for online play, but the variety between them is almost none-existant. I find myself leaving lobbys time and time again because the map is the same one I played last game (More often than not Skidrow, Estate, Afghan or Highrise)

Not only that, but I'm just not "getting" many of these maps. A lot of them are very built up, apartment block type maps that indulge the sneaky camper who can simply sit in a window and kill passers by.

Graphics wise, the game is pretty much exactly the same as COD4. Which is another dissapointment, imo.

-

As for issues that aren't the developers fault, the skill level of the average gamer is now much higher than in times gone by. The reason I no longer play Counter Strike is that you very simply can't play on a server without being owned by guys who play it hardcore. I'm not a particularly bad/good player, my accuracy is rank #2 on my friends list at the moment, but I find myself struggling massively to play even decently in many games.

My fear is that COD is turning into an exclusively hardcore game, where casual to semi-serious gamers can't venture for fear of being owned within 12 seconds of spawning.

That said, that issue possibly is partially Infinity Ward's fault - I'm level 24/25 at the moment, yet I'm being matched with 50+. This has always confused me given there are at least a million people playing COD at any one time - Is it that difficult to make sure I'm not going to be matched against someone with an average +30 kill/death spread? I imagine the game makes those matchmaking decisions based on having a level 50 on either side, to make it fairer, but that doesn't stop the reason of the team being owned by someone twice their level.