Bushtarion Server down

deathscythe

Weeder
Again you take it as an insult but i was actually wondering how to multi quote you fool

sorry, I must've misunderstood that one.

Or u just gonna keep using words like "playerbase" when you know damn well NONE of your alliance are going to quit over this game if you dont get some troops back.

I repeat, this is NOT about the troops. This is about Azzer's involvement towards the GAME AND THE PLAYERS, it's seriously NOT an option for him to turn a blind eye to this. Lots of people mailed him regarding the incident, what do you think these peopel will come to think if he doesn't even responds ONCE! The whole 'let's give funds back' is only a METHOD to show him he is accually INVOLVED WITH THE GAME

Next time try to reply to what people are saying in their actual text rather than just seeing a name and opening your reposnses with a flame

It wasn't a flame, it's more a sarcastic joke. Hence I say let's act more like adults and dont ruin this thread.
We each made our points and seeing how it goes, we won't agree so let's leave it at that.

We're not all against you.

ITZ A LIE!!! :eek::'(

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Just to point out, Azzer has already stated he is planning to weed himself out of public relations and become the sole 'developer' of the game, leaving the front line to be managed by others.

All posts I have made regarding this matter have been on behalf of Azzer, who has been monitoring the situation from afar. Unfortunately, as already stated, nothing can be done for the players who lost units by not being able to send away or recall them during attacks/defences.

Azzer is about as involved as one can get in this game, simply because he coded it. From the ground up. He does care as well; the very fact that there is a system in place to detect network failures is testament to that. Perhaps a little refining in future (ticks don't start for an hour after the server re-appears, for example) would be welcome, but as it stands, preventative measures were in place.
It's impossible to tell the extent of the "damage" caused by the incident - people could argue that they were sure to land on an offline target before the server went down, but when the server came back up their target had managed to get online and had bolstered their defences just in time. Where do you draw the line?
Similar to locked accounts - it's impossible to tell the extent to which that account affected the game and thus who to reimburse with what, be it units, acres or other items. Unfortunately that's just the way it goes.

In times gone by when the server has been inaccessible for periods of days, no reimbursements have been made, primarily for the reasons I've described above.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
It isn't that difficult of a solution Weeble? The solution has been posted several times - All mobs should be recalled after a server downtime.

Souls

Official Helper
Iamsmart, that's how it currently is. The exception this time is that it lost connection to players first, before actually losing its entire connection to the net, so it ticked two or three more times before it went completely offline. Nothing could have prevented that.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Then why was a rollback not put in place? Twigley himself said it was possible, and it seems the most viable solution.

And mobs STILL weren't recalled after those 2-3 ticks, so I don't see how 'that's how it currently is'

Souls

Official Helper
Maybe I'm mistaken then, but when did Twigley ever say that a rollback was possible? He just said that it shouldn't be done.

Ninja edit - Besides, what does Twigley know :p

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Rollbacks are not possible. For them to be a feasible option, every single tick would need to be logged (ie every action taken during by every player that tick) which would bloat the database waaaay too much.

As Souls says, due to the nature of the loss of connection, the server continued to tick until it itself had no connection to the outside world. It can't check every single player and stop ticking if a certain percentage cannot reach it - that's just impossible. And silly.

Ezekiel

Harvester
No offense to anyone, but thats rediciulous.

What if I had spent 50 odd quid on game cash, to help support the game and my round, and then lost it all because of a technical glitch? That's all but stealing ffs. Money gone and nothing to. Just because they may not be the case here, doesn't mean the principle is any different. All those nights that you FTW players wake up at 4 in the morning just to play bush, what's the point if sacraficing all that sleep, just to get your account wiped out due to s server glitch.

Now I'm not saying this situation is quite like, that, I have no idea how badly these guys got ****ed, but there's no way you guys can just act like "oh well, get over it". If the rank one ally had just got wiped out, things would be a lot different. I know A few people that's would kick up world war 3.

And this is me NOT going on about how this is still a business. It maybe a close knit small community, but ****, have so business etiquette. If you **** over your customers, you fix it after. No questions.

So yeah. Be a bit fairer, I know half of you who don't agry with this guy are being hypocrytes, and would be doing exactly the same thing in his position.

Last edited:

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Maybe I'm mistaken then, but when did Twigley ever say that a rollback was possible? He just said that it shouldn't be done.

Ninja edit - Besides, what does Twigley know :p

Idd.

Ninja Reponse - WUT. ;{

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Ezekiel, take it easy mate, take it easy!

Yeah, at all the ladies who got all pissy and say they're leaving and all:
1369952540_be029c8337.jpg

It's:
brookmyre-not-the-end-of-the-world-711510.jpg

More ontopic:
Tbh Weebl, I'm pretty sure rollbacks are feasible. Keep 2 backups, and overwrite the oldest one every hour. This means you have a backup of at least an hour ago. Obviously you'll have the usual "omg but I stole land during that period when it wasn't offline yet, gimme mah landz Azzer!", but that's not as bad as people getting wtfraped.
Evidently you'll always have people complaining though. :)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
This thread is amusing. God knows I don't agree with Twigley often, but he's 100% right in this thread.

Hobbezak: The idea of a hourly rollbacks i like, i don't know how feasible it is (but you're surely correct in that it wouldn't take up *too* much space, but i don't know how much is 'available' if you understand me.) It wouldn't stop all the complaints, but it would certainly help reduce them.

Also guys, how often do server 'crashes' (forgive me Weeble, for lack of a better word i shall continue to use it!) really happen? Maybe once every couple rounds? Seriously we've got far far far more important things to worry about then a couple ticks of damage. Get over yourselves, you're just not that important!

What if I had spent 50 odd quid on game cash, to help support the game and my round, and then lost it all because of a technical glitch? That's all but stealing ffs. Money gone and nothing to. Just because they may not be the case here, doesn't mean the principle is any different. All those nights that you FTW players wake up at 4 in the morning just to play bush, what's the point if sacraficing all that sleep, just to get your account wiped out due to s server glitch.

Now I'm not saying this situation is quite like, that, I have no idea how badly these guys got ****ed, but there's no way you guys can just act like "oh well, get over it". If the rank one ally had just got wiped out, things would be a lot different. I know A few people that's would kick up world war 3.

And this is me NOT going on about how this is still a business. It maybe a close knit small community, but ****, have so business etiquette. If you **** over your customers, you fix it after. No questions.

So yeah. Be a bit fairer, I know half of you who don't agry with this guy are being hypocrytes, and would be doing exactly the same thing in his position.

tbh this guy speaks some truth if you buy a product or earn it you dont expect it too be gone, Drs shud get his funds back its not hard for those who took Massive losses too mail the BR too azzer, azzer can check if its accurate and if youve lost more than 1trilion because of a fault in the game it should be returned

The problem as I understand it is that it's not currently possible to reimburse people due to not knowing the prior Troops/Funds of all the people involved, and so a FAIR reimbursement is simply not in the cards. Perhaps in the future with something like Hobbe's idea in place you could get reimbursed, but seriously. Quit your whining, it just makes you look like scorequeens.

As for the BCs thing, if you bought a bunch of BCs, then I would mail Azzer and see what can be done about it, since that truly is something you purchased and a game glitch destroyed. The proof is also in the fact that Azzer and yourself and your bank can see the payment. So that is something that can be 'proven' that you had, and then lost. So some sort of reimbursement for purchased credits would be reasonable, but reimbursement for ingame funds/troops which you gained with your land in the regular fashion shouldn't even be considered for payback. Christ.

Bruce666

Harvester

tbh this guy speaks some truth if you buy a product or earn it you dont expect it too be gone, Drs shud get his funds back its not hard for those who took Massive losses too mail the BR too azzer, azzer can check if its accurate and if youve lost more than 1trilion because of a fault in the game it should be returned

Also guys, how often do server 'crashes' (forgive me Weeble, for lack of a better word i shall continue to use it!) really happen? Maybe once every couple rounds? Seriously we've got far far far more important things to worry about then a couple ticks of damage. Get over yourselves, you're just not that important! ---Alcibiades

Umm whats more important than individual players:s

without the players heir wouldnt be a game too play, every big problem should be rectified or people should have some sort of compensation

Last edited:

Changer

Head Gardener
Whats to say that they are not lying and that they couldnt have possibly got online. Either before the crash or after the crash.

Its easy enough for people to say that azzer should just refund them, but in theory it doesnt work.

Tombi

Harvester
When the bush server went down today during a time where mediocrity had incomings from rank 1 Grandes Cajones, we lost a couple ticks in the starting and stopping, and were unable too recall defences as well as get people too send out as the server kept crashing.

This is not for me personally as i lost nothing but for people not just in the alliance i am in but lots of people lost a lot of troops due too the games glitch

I personally believe the game should be rolled back, or AT LEAST the people who lost troops because of the game glitch should be reimbursed for their losses.

id like too hear positive feedback but most of all i would like azzer too do something about this as soon as he is available

Thank you

Bruce

Er I thought you'd Quit?

/Thread

:p

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> <Changer> Maybe azzer forgot to pay for the server <- ROFL.
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> all game data lost
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> GG.
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> NEW ROUND.
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> wooooot
[13:01] <Twigley> he backs it up on his own server
[13:01] <Twigley> fail
[13:01] <Proteccao> new game.
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> or that
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> the rpg!!
01[13:01] <Iamstudying> :eek:
[13:01] <Proteccao> Twigley
[13:01] <Changer> Back ups how often Twigley?
[13:01] <Proteccao> you ruin all the fun
[13:01] <Proteccao> :\
[13:01] <Puppe> .
[13:01] <Puppe> Searching for www.bushtarion.com. A record at J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. [192.58.128.30] ...took 28 ms
[13:01] <Puppe> Searching for M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. A record at A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. [198.41.0.4] ...took 155 ms
[13:01] <Puppe> Searching for M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. A record at D.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [192.31.80.30] ...took 17 ms
[13:01] <Puppe> Searching for www.bushtarion.com. A record at M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [192.55.83.30] ...took 135 ms
[13:01] <Puppe> Searching for www.bushtarion.com. A record at ns1.bushtarion.com. [64.62.134.208]
[13:01] <Puppe> .
[13:01] <Twigley> Every 12 ticks

My apologies if you misunderstood me. Maybe they aren't the same things I'm thinking about - If so I apologize for being incompetent :p

Souls

Official Helper
If Azzer backed anything up it'd be rankings, not land/troops of every player in the game. Backing up that much information would likely take up a huge amount of space, and it'd only be useful for the off-chance that something like this happens again. And as Alci said, how often does the server bomb?

Ticks already stop once the server loses connection to the internet. This time, that safeguard failed because the server only lost part of its connection - to the players. It went on to tick a few more times because it was still connected. How you can lay the blame for this on anyone is beyond me. Nothing could have prevented it from happening. Even if mobs were recalled once connection was lost, those BRs would still have happened.

IMO you're asking for compensation for an accident that could not have been avoided.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
The server is up like 99.9% of the time - no server provides 100% uptime - but the one that hosts bushtarion comes damn close.

This is one of the most reliable games I've ever played. Agreed it isn't ideal when this kind of thing happens and a handful of people lose troops as a result, but it almost never does so I don't really see what there is to complain about.