Age of Empires II

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Before i play again with another **** team mate - learn the following basics before you go online and waste other peoples time:

* More than 1 stable/barrack/workshop producing units. Make 5 or so and get those units out. Dont just sit on the resources and play sim city.

* Why just build **** units? And then when get attacked attack the flak and not the units hurting you?

Learn those basics then i play more as atm i get unlucky with teams and just have some fail.

cb1202

Head Gardener
I am sure everyone will stilll be playing then, but not as much cause of round start

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Damnit, I'm lost. I played vs DA a week or two back, worked great. Now everytime I host or try to join a game it says my router is NAT restricted. I opened the ports required for the game & gameranger to run, but I still get the same damn error. Can join gamerooms but when a game launches, I don't join the actual game... DAMN! :( Any ideas?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Same thing happened to Martin... no idea what is causing it...
I spent like hours trying to find out whats wrong with Martins comp... gameranger says its restricted nat, but Martin had all ports open, so only idea is that it has something to do with either gameranger or windows stuff...

Theres been some win updates lately, may be causing it. Another idea is to reinstall gameranger. And try demilitarised zone on router.

I can only say that game ranger works on everyone else but on you two and as such it must be due port/firewall/router problem. This suggests that something in your config has changed. It also suggests that maybe your using DHCP and for some reason your IP got changed and now ports are not forwarded properly anymore.

One option is as I said to try DMZ, see if that helps, if not then problem must be in windows base not on router. Same thing you can do by disabling router firewall. Try to narrow down your problem to windows/router only as it is only way to work with this stuff.

I would probably do things like this:
1. Open up all ports needed.
2. Open some random port and then using torrent software to see if port opening worked.
3. Try DMZ and see if it works for gameranger and for torrent software
4. Disable router/modem firewall. see if that works for gameranger and torrent
5. Disable windows firewall and other software firewalls and see if it works for gameranger and torrent.

Why torrent?
Cause it is easiest method to test if your ports are open, as every torrent tool has that nice thing that tells if your behind firewall or not and also allows you to specify port, much easier than any random port ping thing.

Last edited:

Changer

Head Gardener
I get the NAT warning whilst im at Uni, but i seem to be fine to connect to most games. :/

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Just to remind everyone

If you opened ports to allow GameRanger to work, a while ago, its likely your internal IP has changed since you configured this.

Try the following to ascertain you current IP and make sure you've configured your router to forward port 16000, UDP, to that IP address.

Click Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> type "ipconfig" - Your internal IP address will be displayed next to "IPv4 address".

That IP address is likely to change periodically. To stop it changing you have to setup a static internal IP address.

See www.portforward.com for the details on how to do this :)

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Yup, that's the thing: everything's set correctly. Rebooted router, re-installed GameRanger, checked and re-checked and tested all kinds of possible settings, disabled firewalls, etc... Torrents work, it's doing my head in, I'm out of ideas. :(

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Twigs + Changer v CF + Hobbezak v Matt + DA

Winnarz: CF + Hobbs
Secondz: Matt + DA
Thirdz: Twigs + Changer

Maybe we could keep some kind of ranking, so we know who our 1337 players are when we challenge random GameRanger users :p

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Dunno if rankings say who is the best if you are thinking of putting us together against others :p

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Yup, that's the thing: everything's set correctly. Rebooted router, re-installed GameRanger, checked and re-checked and tested all kinds of possible settings, disabled firewalls, etc... Torrents work, it's doing my head in, I'm out of ideas. :(

I know the feeling....

lavadog

Head Gardener
What DA said made a lot of sense. I have the same problem for my torrent downloading too. Always check if you opened up the port for the correct IP adress, because if you're like me an have a dynamic IP adress, it often changes the last numbers of it and therefore causes problems with NAT.

Hippie

Harvester
DA, Hobbe, Changer, Hippie - 2v2 random teams and random civs:

DA & Changer vs Hobbe & Hippie

won by Hobbe & Hippie pretty convincingly when DA realised he didn't like samurais and quit. Didn't take Hobbe and Hippie long to kill Changer as he had 50 trade carts happening.

CFalcon

Official Helper
DA, Changer, Lanky, MattM vs CF, Hippie, Godsend, Sumit

Sumit and Hippie had some initial success driving into changer on the left, but were slowly ground back by help from DA, ending up losing alot of sumit's base. Meanwhile Lanky made a breakthrough on Godsend and forced him to retreat behind CF. With sumit and godsend both trying to rebuild, Hippie and CF tried to hold out each taking 2v1 (mattm had finally appeared by this point) but it wasn't to be. DA, Changer, Lanky, mattm winners.

CF, Hobbe vs Changer, Lanky

Early rush by Changer put CF on the defensive. Hobbe on the left made a great push into Lanky's base, fighting through reinforcements from Changer also. Lanky relocated nearer to Changer where the joint line managed to hold Hobbe. However cannon galleons from CF encircled the joint base and crippled their economy, forcing resignations from both. CF and Hobbezak winners.