Next round's alliance mash-up

Cody

Planter
Azzer if this is ever to happen in future rounds I believe your admin powers/skills would be needed.

I concur, there would need to something along the lines of "once your in an alliance you cant leave and no disbanding alliances or deleting accounts"

Although that might make a fair few people mad

Davs

Garden Designer
Azzer if this is ever to happen in future rounds I believe your admin powers/skills would be needed.

I concur, there would need to something along the lines of "once your in an alliance you cant leave and no disbanding alliances or deleting accounts"

Although that might make a fair few people mad

Although I see the benefits to that and why you thought of it, this should never happen in W1.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
i can see why active people would get annoyed at others not putting in the same amount of effort though.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I don't, you should keep in mind that YOU PICKED YOUR TEAM. You have to stick to it. You had your chance to pick other people. Alliances should be locked (If this ever happens). If there is someone in it you absolutely won't play with, you shouldn't sign up.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I don't, you should keep in mind that YOU PICKED YOUR TEAM. You have to stick to it. You had your chance to pick other people. Alliances should be locked (If this ever happens). If there is someone in it you absolutely won't play with, you shouldn't sign up.

No.

Coruba

Head Gardener
Hi

This imo is a really non event thread. It comes down to really if the top players want competition......then split up, start new alliances etc. If you don't carry on the way you are going. I suspect however due to the nature of the game that once an alliance gets something of a lead on the pack it is virtually impossible to catch up unless a concerted effort with two or three of the other alliances to take them down happens.

Cheers

Coruba

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
i think people were sorta waiting for your approval in the matter :p and maybe some help in advertising.

Don't see why my approval is needed, this is something invented by the players for the players that can be IMPLEMENTED by the players. :p I thought my approval of the concept would be obvious!

Nobody's sent me any private messages about asking for a specific message from admin on the subject or linking details or anything very specific, though I'd be happy to help - eg if somebody sent me a PM with the message they want on messages from admin and a link to this thread, I could do that - but I'm not the one doing the organising here, this is a player-run thing ;P

I'm sure I PMed you on IRC once or twice...?

Either way, it didn't have the coverage to take off.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You're right, you did, I just checked through the logs;

Session Start: Sun Apr 11 19:14:32 2010
Session Ident: Martin
[19:14:32] Session Ident: Martin (NetGamers, Azzer) (Ilive@Martin.users.netgamers.org)
[19:14:32] <Martin> I don't know if you'd be willing to prop up my alliances suggestions on your overview message?
[19:14:36] <Martin> inc links to the threads ofc.
Session Time: Mon Apr 12 00:00:00 2010
Session Time: Tue Apr 13 00:00:01 2010
Session Close: Tue Apr 13 20:05:25 2010

I don't remember ever getting it or seeing it, and I didn't reply to it - so it looks like I was probably away from IRC at the time and shut down the PC some time later without ever noticing it, sorry about that! Probably better to slap me with a larger stick and wait til you get a response with IRC, I've been known to just leave it running for days forgotten and minimised to the icon bar :p Ah well.

Still, I don't see what's stopping players from just mixing it up a bit and trying an alliance with somebody different this round, players shouldn't need their hands holding before they ever do anything different! :D

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
i think people were sorta waiting for your approval in the matter :p and maybe some help in advertising.

Don't see why my approval is needed, this is something invented by the players for the players that can be IMPLEMENTED by the players. :p I thought my approval of the concept would be obvious!

Nobody's sent me any private messages about asking for a specific message from admin on the subject or linking details or anything very specific, though I'd be happy to help - eg if somebody sent me a PM with the message they want on messages from admin and a link to this thread, I could do that - but I'm not the one doing the organising here, this is a player-run thing ;P

I'm sure I PMed you on IRC once or twice...?

Either way, it didn't have the coverage to take off.

I don't think Martin is talking about "approval"/"endorsement" as much as he's talking about publicity (nothing is even half as far reaching as admin messages)

Round after round we're seeing less competition, and as a direct result gameplay is suffering - we desperately need initiatives such as Martins' - To be breathe some life into new rounds. Its a real shame this one isn't going to take off because it hasn't had the publicity to reach a large enough percentage of the playerbase. Its a big idea - It needs the involvement of more than those who merely stumble across this thread.

I do hope this is something that can be looked into further for the round after next :/

Kudos for trying anywho Martin :p

Last edited:

Alvestein

Garden Designer
we dont need hand holding Azzer. it was a matter of getting more players involved. i.e. seeing a big ****off link on the overview message probably would have helped xD

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Yes. I didn't have much battery left on my phone before.

A few rounds ago when we had that mini round with locked allies, it was honestly one of the worst bushtarion experiences I've ever had. It was an absolute nightmare which had rather unfortunate results for everyone involved. So that's why i don't like locked alliances.

As for picking the members you want, as the picks go 'round you lose your options and may be forced to pick someone you really really hate, or just mildly dislike, or whatnot. *Forcing* someone to play with an opponent that they dislike is just unreasonable to me, and most definitely will not lead to better gameplay. A fractured alliance is never a fun place to play in my experience.

Furthermore, you can't start banning people simply because they have serious dislikes of some players. I know there are lots of players in this game who definitely have a "will not play with" list. I certainly have one. To imply that we with "enemies", for lack of a better word, are barred from signing up is just ridiculous? Then you'll lose at least some players who were interested, and I don't think that sort of behaviour will lead to a really great experiment, or experience.

On a positive side, if you were forced to play with someone you had previously hated, you might get to like them, so there is perhaps some merit in "forcing" people to play together. I think you're likely to get the negative, rather than positive reaction tho.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Suggest to me a way it would work without forcing people to stay in the alliance they're with. If they don't the idea is completely stupid, pointless, and void.

And I didn't say you were banned from signing up. But if you're going to be a little ***** about who you're going to play with (e.g. Ahead/IoF in the pworld a couple weeks ago) why sign up?

And what mini world with locked allies? I remember no W1 word like that, and if it's a pworld you took it way too seriously :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I don't have a way for it to work without locked allies, but I was just warning that it has a lot of potential to completely implode. The balance is going to be very difficult to achieve and I'm not sure how it should be done. Being locked/picked by rounds is going to be rather unpleasant in this somewhat shrunken community with a lot of egos and "emotions" if you will.

True, but if you suggest they don't sign up, you've effectively banned them from playing if they refuse to play with some people. I mean it obviously depends upon the circumstances and severity, but I just can't help but see problems. Presumably they've signed up because they like the idea, and think it's worth supporting, but don't necessarily want to play with some particular people? I dunno, maybe that's selfish, but I can see where they're coming from.

I can't remember about that mini world, but i think it might have been when we had that string of mini/speedy rounds in between "official rounds"? I honestly can't remember (stupid sieve memory); but even if it was a PW, it was a truly abysmal experience, and if you were there, you'd have agreed with me :p

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I can think of the W1 CTF round where alliances locked like 5 days in, and that was the *most* fun I've ever had in Bushtarion, so no I wouldn't agree with you. :p

Alvestein

Garden Designer
maybe it was you Alcibiades you grumpy troll :p

it might be an idea to start trialing these in PWs or like Alci said what happened before, in "mini" rounds between the official ones. Until we come up with something a tad more solid, i'd rather not spend an entire W1 round trying something likely to fail.(i know the best way to test something is in W1 but i just don't wanna waste that much time if it's not very likely to work)