Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Mattheus

Head Gardener
OK so contrary to my last post I actually finished the campaign. Was just a lot shorter then I expected. (Seriously, this felt a lot shorter then the WaW or cod4 campaign)
Anyway, sorry to say but I thought it was a bit crap. The storyline was utterly horrible. It just got a little ridiculous. Normally I'm not too fussed but the horrible writing really annoyed me this time. The gameplay was as samey as ever. The visuals though, as ever were stunning. The parts in Washington D.C were pretty amazing graphically.

Anyway for me it's all about the multiplayer, if it didn't have that I'd rate the game pretty low tbh. Thank god the multiplayer rocks!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Multiplayer is spot on in pretty much every department.

I have to agree with Mattheus that the single player campaign didn't meet my expectations. It was fairly short and the plot was as unclear as the last game.

I also hated the enemy AI. Whilst most games enemy NPCs are very stupid and generally crap, MW-2s enemy NPCs are ridiculously switched on. There is no chance of a stealth approach to this game as enemies seem to have an eerie awareness of where you are despite you not actually being seen. I found this particularly dissapointing as the game seems to hint at requiring an element of stealth (camo, silenced weapons, etc) but ultimately you can't get anywhere without blowing your cover - something that is all too easily done.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Strange. I loved the enemy AI, i quite liked the campaign plot, i didn't find it hard to understand at all.

I had to plot out my every move against them, and while there was a lot of blitz and go tactics, there were plenty of opportunities to outstealth my opponents.

Sorry to hear you guys didn't enjoy it :(

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Strange. I loved the enemy AI, i quite liked the campaign plot, i didn't find it hard to understand at all.

I had to plot out my every move against them, and while there was a lot of blitz and go tactics, there were plenty of opportunities to outstealth my opponents.

Sorry to hear you guys didn't enjoy it :(

Agreed!

I just finished it and OH MY GOD! Absolutely amazing IMO. I thought it was longer than the CoD4 campaign...but that might just be me. Already cant wait to play through a couple of the levels on veteran...anyway...on with multiplayer!!!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm a hardcore metal gear solid fan - perhaps thats impacting on my opinion re: modern warfare 2 - But even in the very first MGS (11 years ago) the AI was capable of providing a good stealth experience in that if you are not seen, you don't alert the enemy. In MW-2, you don't need to be seen to be noticed and I found that I pretty big let down.

Still a very enthralling gaming experience, though, just felt that this was a bit of a silly flaw.

Also, come to think of it, a lot of the maps for the campaign were very linear - I hate being constrained to one path, fields/woods you can't access cept' for a path that takes you through each set-piece. There were a few bigger environments though so I guess I can't complain :p

Last edited:

Abreu

Pruner
Xbox Gamertag : BlemishedData

Loving the game so far, except having a few problems with online.
For some reason it wont connect to any games sometimes :S

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I havnt finished exams yet, so dont have the game

But does anyone know if you can take down helicopters by sniping the pilot? In MW1 i would always try taking out the choppers (I swear you should get xp for taking down choppers, the number of times i did, grrr). I tried numerous times in MW1 to snipe the pilots but to no avail.

So if anyone has any info on that, that would be cool.

Oh, any heat seeking rockets? For aided assistance against helicopters/gunships?

Mattheus

Head Gardener
99% sure you can't snipe the pilots. But taking out air support is a doddle in this one, actually easier then cod4.
That's the thing, any harriers/choppers etc left to do their thing will get a preposterous amount of kills (a lot more then cod4), but they don't have much health. 1 stinger missile shoots anything down in 1 shot. (except Ac130 and it's counter flares -_-)
It's why all my classes now have stinger as my secondary, just shoot them down straight away rather then let your team get raped.

Oh and yeah, you get exp for shooting stuff down. You can even shoot down UAV planes now :D which I sometimes do for the lulz

Btw anyone else get the feeling you have less health in multiplayer now? In cod4 or WaW you'd often get a bit of a reaction time to duck or spin round or something. In this one I can't tell you how many times I've just died instantly to a couple shots before even being able to react *shrug* maybe it's just me. Sometimes almost feels like hardcore mode.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I'm a hardcore metal gear solid fan - perhaps thats impacting on my opinion re: modern warfare 2 - But even in the very first MGS (11 years ago) the AI was capable of providing a good stealth experience in that if you are not seen, you don't alert the enemy. In MW-2, you don't need to be seen to be noticed and I found that I pretty big let down.

Still a very enthralling gaming experience, though, just felt that this was a bit of a silly flaw.

Also, come to think of it, a lot of the maps for the campaign were very linear - I had being constrained to one path, fields/woods you can't access cept' for a path that takes you through each set-piece. There were a few bigger environments though so I guess I can't complain :p

I never played MGS, but heard absolutely amazing things.

I think my closest comparison for 'stealth' tactics, was the Splinter Cell set of games. Which were just *awesome* as far as i was concerned.

I find that in the MW2 campaign, there were a lot of missions where you were funneled into battlefields (for lack of a better word) where you were surrounded by thousands of enemies, and it was a spin+fire+spin+fire duck and weave and fire kind of mission. Very few sneaking missions comparatively.

Either way i loved it :D

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
99% sure you can't snipe the pilots. But taking out air support is a doddle in this one, actually easier then cod4.
That's the thing, any harriers/choppers etc left to do their thing will get a preposterous amount of kills (a lot more then cod4), but they don't have much health. 1 stinger missile shoots anything down in 1 shot. (except Ac130 and it's counter flares -_-)
It's why all my classes now have stinger as my secondary, just shoot them down straight away rather then let your team get raped.

Oh and yeah, you get exp for shooting stuff down. You can even shoot down UAV planes now :D which I sometimes do for the lulz

Btw anyone else get the feeling you have less health in multiplayer now? In cod4 or WaW you'd often get a bit of a reaction time to duck or spin round or something. In this one I can't tell you how many times I've just died instantly to a couple shots before even being able to react *shrug* maybe it's just me. Sometimes almost feels like hardcore mode.

I've never noticed an actual UAV before!

In response to the being easier to kill and be killed I've noticed it too, it's why I felt in CoD4 the non-Hardcore modes were pretty crap but now the medium between the two appears sorted. I like the easier to die/easier to kill. :D

I also think the throwing knife is hilarious to use.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I do a lot of dying in multiplayer. But as most of you remember from when i played COD4, that's not due to the amount of Health you have. I'm just sucky ;)

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Managed to use a nuke earlier, tis pretty awesome! It's actually pretty funny, after the game I got 2 party invites and 2 hate messages! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that some people had got their knickers in a twist over it.

Souls

Official Helper

Martin hit it spot on. They've made it more "noob-friendly", making it easier to kill people and thus get kill streaks, but in turn made it easier to die as well. I feel like it's ridiculously easier than COD4, but a good game nonetheless. The FAMAS will always be my weapon of choice :p

Davis

Tree Surgeon
souls have you got the M16 or something (its a 3 round burst like the famas but better) that and the WA200 (sniper) are all i've used, and i've already prestiged and got to level 14 again :D what are you guys at?

Ezekiel

Harvester
why did you bother prestiging so pointless.while your on lvl 14 with some cool new symbol im still a 70 w/e using my awesome guns to rape you all.

Treedude

Harvester
I always thought that, but every time I get to prestige I think why not? Otherwise whats the point in carrying on playing, surely you're just gonna get bored of using the same weapons all the time and you've got no challenge left (other than the weapon challenges etc but if you're using the same guns you wouldn't be going for them either).
It's also a nice change going back to basics, means you get to retest your skills without all the perks that you got you up to a higher level, and also if you stay on level 70 you would (if my understanding or matchmaking is correct) end up playing players who are less experienced/skilled than if you were to level up through prestige. It's not just about dominating with awesome guns (although obviously we all love that) :p

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I always thought that, but every time I get to prestige I think why not? Otherwise whats the point in carrying on playing, surely you're just gonna get bored of using the same weapons all the time and you've got no challenge left (other than the weapon challenges etc but if you're using the same guns you wouldn't be going for them either).
It's also a nice change going back to basics, means you get to retest your skills without all the perks that you got you up to a higher level, and also if you stay on level 70 you would (if my understanding or matchmaking is correct) end up playing players who are less experienced/skilled than if you were to level up through prestige. It's not just about dominating with awesome guns (although obviously we all love that) :p

In MW1 i didnt bother to prestige, and i had the golden ak and golden dragunov BUT after a while i decided to prestige -.-

It was a while, but still, the time and effort it to get those golden weapons, was AGES. And then i blew it away when i decided to prestige. Therefore when i get MW2, i will either never prestige, or wont try for any unlockables until ive finished prestige (i seriously doubt this will happen lol)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i liked prestiging. it made me have to rely more on my skills (laughable tho they were) instead of weapons. Although tbh, i basically played with the M16 all the time. Best. Gun. Ever.