Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

philipd12

Harvester
Mine came this morning had a few games on it before I went uni :D :D :D
not played on cod 4 for months so im rubbish on it at the moment, manged to get a 4 kill streak :p lol

Treedude

Harvester
yes it is multiplayer infact i found this link too all the multiplayer functions last night while bored:p

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...ll-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2s-Multiplayer.html

That doesn't tell me what you can play as split screen (maybe it does but I can't be bothered to watch 15 mins of that crap to find out).

All I want to know is if the split screen is 1v1, or if you can do anything else?

Seen as these fools aren't answering you I will

You can't play the campaign in co-op mode BUT there is a Special Ops section which is just various missions (most taken from the campaign) with varying objectives (wave defence, total body count, defusing bombs, escaping etc) and you can play co-op on that.....and its awesome :p 25 missions in total, you unlock them 5 at a time with stars you pick up for completing the levels at the different difficulty settings. Couple of highlights are the snowmobile races, defending the other player using an AC-130 gunship/Chopper with Vulcan Minigun (with exploding ammo)

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
yes it is multiplayer infact i found this link too all the multiplayer functions last night while bored:p

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...ll-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2s-Multiplayer.html

That doesn't tell me what you can play as split screen (maybe it does but I can't be bothered to watch 15 mins of that crap to find out).

All I want to know is if the split screen is 1v1, or if you can do anything else?

You can't play the campaign in co-op mode BUT there is a Special Ops section which is just various missions (most taken from the campaign) with varying objectives (wave defence, total body count, defusing bombs, escaping etc) and you can play co-op on that.....and its awesome :p 25 missions in total, you unlock them 5 at a time with stars you pick up for completing the levels at the different difficulty settings. Couple of highlights are the snowmobile races, defending the other player using an AC-130 gunship/Chopper with Vulcan Minigun (with exploding ammo)

Looks like a trip to Tesco then, many thanks sir. I shall be seeing you on the battle-ground soon!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Mine hasnt arrived yet, being couriered at some point today :'(

I now have 2 copies...i'll throw one over to you!!! :p

Edit:

OH
MY
GOD...

I started playing the single player (with the intention of finishing it before starting multiplayer) but have just had a dabble in multiplayer and OH MY GOD...its so much more intense and i love it!

Last edited:

Mattheus

Head Gardener
OK, first impressions after a day of lots and lots of gaming: (multiplayer only, that's the only part I'm bothered about)

So far seems fun! I love how much more customisable your character and classes are...eg, multiple gun attachments, choosing your kill streak rewards etc. Thumbs up on that one.

Guns seem fun so far, the SCAR-H is my early favourite, very powerful assault rifle with pretty low recoil. Usually using it with the heartbeat sensor and silencer. My opinions of all the weapons will no doubt change a lot as time goes by as I get to know them more and unlock the rest.

My main concern at the moment are the kill streak awards. I think they may have gone a little overboard on them...
For a start, because theres like 20 different rewards people can use, it's a lot less common for people having to wait to use them (i.e, not being able to use a chopper as there's already one out) This means that at any one time there can be harriers, choppers, sentry guns, stealth bombers, airstrikes etc all causing havoc around the map at the same time...can get a little crazy. PLUS you can get rewards airdropped to you as well. It's actually rather common for me to have 2-3 things queued up. (Unlike cod4 newer awards don't replace older ones, they just queue them up, like airstrike and chopper)
Secondly some of them seem too powerful, the standard chopper seems insane, think the chopper from cod4 on steroids, they just get a ridiculous amount of kills.

Anyway it's early days yet, as time goes on people will discover more about the guns, perks etc.

Edit - One thing I forgot to add. There's this deathstreak perk where if you die 3 or 4 times in a row without killing anyone you respawn with extra health. I HATE THIS. A little added health maybe, but it's like juggernaught * 3. There's nothing more frustrating then dying to a n00b with 892692367263982 health when you're one away from a chopper.

CLem

Head Gardener
bah i got my "Dispatched" email from Amazon this morning. And I just saw a Tesco advert saying that they are selling it for 26 quid.... I feel mega ripped off now after paying 45 quid. See you guys online!

wanna see something that'll depress you more...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-Duty-M..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1257804586&sr=8-1

Price: £32.00

;)

Amazon is taking the piss, the estimated arrive date is now on Friday but they are certain that I will get it tomorrow...only thing they say is that they will give me the 13 pounds refund to ordinary price.

Got a friend to get me a copy off Sainsbury and I will return my amazon copy and save some cash.

Me = not a happy bunny

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
My main concern at the moment are the kill streak awards. I think they may have gone a little overboard on them...
For a start, because theres like 20 different rewards people can use, it's a lot less common for people having to wait to use them (i.e, not being able to use a chopper as there's already one out) This means that at any one time there can be harriers, choppers, sentry guns, stealth bombers, airstrikes etc all causing havoc around the map at the same time...can get a little crazy. PLUS you can get rewards airdropped to you as well. It's actually rather common for me to have 2-3 things queued up. (Unlike cod4 newer awards don't replace older ones, they just queue them up, like airstrike and chopper)
Secondly some of them seem too powerful, the standard chopper seems insane, think the chopper from cod4 on steroids, they just get a ridiculous amount of kills.

Agreed 100%...half the time i dont know what ive got so just hit the button and find ive got a couple of things waiting :p

I like the amount thats going on, but i think what you've said there is right. I wouldnt go so far as to say its a negative right now (in my mind) but it might become frustrating once i play more

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Ahh, thankyou Treedude. Even more excited to get it now. A lot of people were disappointed that you couldnt do the campaign co-op, but it sounds like this more than makes up for it

Arghh, hurry up and finish already, stupid exams :D I need to be free!

Steve_God

Official Helper
Played it for a good few hours this evening...

My verdict:
It's CoD4... with better maps (more technical)... better extras for weapons and perks (and LOADS of them!)... better multiplayer gaming (even if the host loses connection, it restarts the game from the same point once a new host has been found, instead of cancelling the game altogether like it did in CoD4).

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Lots of fun so far. Campaign is great. Crazy loads of enemies, awesome guns everywhere. Will play multiplayer now.

BTW: mouse + keyboard = utter **** for COD, Xbox controller ftw!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Very impressed so far - Only tackled the campaign mode up to now, but the missions I've played have been very interesting and fast paced.

Graphics are excellent, as were those in the original modern warfare.

I have such high expectations of few games - even fewer deliver :p

Tombi

Harvester
Very impressed so far - Only tackled the campaign mode up to now, but the missions I've played have been very interesting and fast paced.

Play online silly n00b :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Basically every game I ever buy I leave the campaign completely and skip to the online play, as I'm a big online fanatic. I've always found the modern warfare campaigns very compelling, though, and have to get into them before I hit online :p

Treedude

Harvester

Why would you buy the game and not play the campaign? Admittedly online is the best thing about Call of Duty but still you've got plenty of time to play it after you've finished the campaign (it doesn't take long, I got it done in 6 hours and I was knackered and making an arse of it for half of that time, managed to fall off during the ice climbing at least 10 times :p) and the campaign is awesome, it's really well done, pretty much like a film that you're in control of

That being said now I've finished the campaign it'll no doubt be online all the way for me! :p

PS. Martin - You will see me on the battle-ground, but not if I see you first! ;)

Lupus

Head Gardener
/me hands marvin a throwing knife and some clean boxers. Now get out there soldier and kill some milita!

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I didn't go and buy it yesterday as Amazon said it was dispatched yester-afternoon. Although it has not arrived... I don't know how to check the estimated receive date but I may well have the same issue as Clem :(

Normally when it's dispatched I get it the next day from these sites.... I think they lie to stop us buying it elsewhere!