Bush World Cup 2009 - Discussion

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
[edit 13th June - Due to the fact that some teams are not full, applications can now be submitted until Friday the 19th of June]

-

An extra week has been added to the application process. This will *not* delay the PW, it will simply mean the application stage is extended. Voting for captains will not be affected by this.

Gooner

Head Gardener
[edit 13th June - Due to the fact that some teams are not full, applications can now be submitted until Friday the 19th of June]

-

An extra week has been added to the application process. This will *not* delay the PW, it will simply mean the application stage is extended. Voting for captains will not be affected by this.

Not trying to be a dick as this pw is supposed to be based on residency but there are 3-4 full teams and a fairly large excess of UK players. Surely if it comes down to it the players not picked for the US or English team should be able to fill up the last few spots of a team to make the Pw better and allow more people to play.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

-

Not trying to be a dick as this pw is supposed to be based on residency but there are 3-4 full teams and a fairly large excess of UK players. Surely if it comes down to it the players not picked for the US or English team should be able to fill up the last few spots of a team to make the Pw better and allow more people to play.

The problem with this is that these other teams, for example Australia/NZ atm would get 'day cover', being able to cover most times of day..
this is a clear advantage over the UK teams

Jase

Harvester
I agree with gooner somewhat,

32 applicants for the UK team and some of the other teams have 2-4 players..

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

A world cup with players from England player for Holland for example... Doesn't that kind of beat the idea of a world cup?
I see it has a PW that i will enjoy.

Shut up BW.
No, i'm saying your negativity and general attitude isn't needed in this thread.

People like you are the ones that kill these events.
People have already signed up and expressed interest and teams are nearly full.

We know it isn't official WC, nobody said it was.
It's a PW some people want to take part in if they so wish too.

Why put such an outlandish "opinion" out about that?

There you go... I didnt even bother to edit out my name of it and put your in hobbe.

Gooner

Head Gardener

A world cup with players from England player for Holland for example... Doesn't that kind of beat the idea of a world cup?

So what happens if you dont fill your team? your team wont be be able to enter? Then the pw ends up with 3-4 teams...fun.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

So what happens if you dont fill your team? your team wont be be able to enter? Then the pw ends up with 3-4 teams...fun.

You put together as many countries as possible, to get max teams. For example we're now looking at a Belgio-Swiss-French team, and I'm assuming it will probably be a dutch-scandinavian team.
But English players joining another team, while there is an English team, doesn't make sense to me.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
whee, same old arguments.

anyone really wonder why Azzer hasn't sponsored more than the first one?

'world cup' is a laugh, a lark, a misnomer.

not to mention the utter asshattery with ID's during signups. then the cheating that takes place. then the people who feel they've been treated unfairly whine about cheating (but usually about people not cheating, while the other cheating goes unnoticed) 12 hrs in half of all teams go inactive never to login again.

should be fun times, if this cup is successfully pulled off. just because their is an abundance of england players, doesn't mean they should be able to join any old team for the 'world cup'. there already will be spies all over the place.

since this is the world cup discussion thread, lets have a serious discussion about never trying to do this crap again. it doesn't work. it is far from equitable. players get so burned out and fed up squabbling over the petty details that the fun is gone long before the first tick starts.

start time is/was when? this may be for fun, but the whole thing about the 'world cup' is about competition. this game isn't very accomodating for multiple time zones. there is no 'good' starting time. teams are handicapped by this when the pw starts.

in short there is no good way for a 'world cup' pw to work. this isn't pessimism, this is the reality of the limitations of this format. hearts may be in the right place, but this horse needs to be put down and stop being flogged.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
What I don't get is people are so eager to play, they'd represent other countries? This is what also annoyed me before, if I wasn't picked for England, then I wouldn't *want* to represent another country....

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
What I don't get is people are so eager to play, they'd represent other countries? This is what also annoyed me before, if I wasn't picked for England, then I wouldn't *want* to represent another country....

Same. I'd rather see it be 5 true world cup teams than having a few teams thrown together with people from all different countries.

Random PWs go on all the time, if we're gonna do a "World Cup" it should be done properly.

Gooner

Head Gardener

You put together as many countries as possible, to get max teams. For example we're now looking at a Belgio-Swiss-French team, and I'm assuming it will probably be a dutch-scandinavian team.
But English players joining another team, while there is an English team, doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah I agree thats the best way to go about it but it will also lower the amount of alliances and I cant see it being much of a problem if a few of the English spillover fill the Scottish gaps to try and get as many people involved as possible.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
This PW has two aims:

Primarily - Fun.

Secondly - To try and determine, if only approximately, what country is the best.

-

The emphasis is on fun. That said, as I pointed out at the very start of organising this isnt a PW for the entire playerbase. It is a PW for the 10 best players from each country that plays Bushtarion and yields at least 10 players.

-

I believe as far as organisation goes, things couldnt be going much smoother atm - and I hope that will go some way in ensuring we have a fun, well organised, eventful PW.

-

I will point out now, and have done so before, that if you arent picked to play for your country - Arrangements will not be made for you to join another country's team.

This undermines the entire point of the "World Cup". I regret that these arrangements can't be made, I'm sorry, but it is my feeling, and evidently the feeling of others, that said arrangements would make this event a normal PW, not a "World Cup".

Garrett

Landscape Designer
then it shouldn't be a 'world cup'

or relabel it 'world cup - powered by euros'

:p just have a 'euro regional cup' and gang up in little 5 man cliques and have at

(ugh, i don't quote thinking i'll be the next in line, the above was to gooner)

now to DA. truly a 'best country' cannot be derived for a few reasons of imbalance. Biggest being time, timezones. First you'd need to have some sort of qualifying round where the same teams played the pw's but each pw would start at the time preference of each 'country team'. then x amount of the best performances /rankings move on to the next round.

Only through many rounds of testing and checking varying start times to see if there is a difference and then comparing overall track records could you even get close to an actual 'best country/team'.

Upsets can happen, but a bad or slow start can cripple an alliance in world 1... it's even worse in a smaller world. Most of the allies that start later due to times or whatever, simply just get used as farms as everyone starts piling on the lower ranks... no AR. no solos. no need to spy. just send. then what 6-10 allies in this one? you got 4 of a time sending on 1 at least. it has and will happen.

I applaud your efforts for trying to organize this arena, however, pw's of this nature always seem plagued with inequities and low turnout after the first day or so.

I think the whole 'world cup' theme needs to be rethought and redirected. I'm not really seeing unity or country pride being echo'd in any save a handful of posts after pages and pages and pages of multiple threads on the 'world cup'.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Yeah I agree thats the best way to go about it but it will also lower the amount of alliances and I cant see it being much of a problem if a few of the English spillover fill the Scottish gaps to try and get as many people involved as possible.

This will very likely happen if Scotland/Wales/Ireland are unable to fill their team. I will attempt to place English players in the Scotland/Wales/Ireland team based on my knowledge of their actual birth place. (For example I know Dez lives in England, but he's from Scotland - Kuda lives in Aus but is from Ireland, and so forth).

[edit] Garrett, there are countries outside Europe who look to have enough to play. I'm not going to rename the Bushtarion World Cup: "The Bushtarion World Cup (But only countries that yield 10 players)" :p

In reality thats the situation, but the actual World Cup doesnt involve every country on the planet.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

This will very likely happen if Scotland/Wales/Ireland are unable to fill their team. I will attempt to place English players in the Scotland/Wales/Ireland team based on my knowledge of their actual birth place. (For example I know Dez lives in England, but he's from Scotland - Kuda lives in Aus but is from Ireland, and so forth).

Putting Kuda in the irish team wouldnt be right at all.
I can understand if someone is scottish but they now live in london, whack them in the scottish team if they are a player short. But i'd say they have to be within the same timezone regardless of where they were born.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
The advantage of one guy on nightcover for the sake of filling a team that won't otherwise play seems reasonable to me.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I personally dont think thats fair, yeah its one guy but he can prank everyone online if need be...whereas other teams have to rely on staying up later/getting up earlier etc etc...

Garrett

Landscape Designer
This PW has two aims:

Primarily - Fun.

Secondly - To try and determine, if only approximately, what country is the best.

-snip-

I will point out now, and have done so before, that if you arent picked to play for your country - Arrangements will not be made for you to join another country's team.

This undermines the entire point of the "World Cup".

good points, good points.

The advantage of one guy on nightcover for the sake of filling a team that won't otherwise play seems reasonable to me.

wtf?

Great job. No really.

[edit] if only i cba to post a direct quote of the "COUNTRY IN WHICH YOU RESIDE" rule.

I'm out for americans.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Thats my opinion, I'm not taking it as correct, I'd consult with guys who've their hand in this before allowing any players who arent living in the country they want to play for.

Technicalities are just that, tricky, borderline, anything that goes ahead will be agreed on by players involved.