Mount & Blade

cb1202

Head Gardener
I just downloaded the demo last night, and I must say thanks to Azzer for posting this. This game is extremely addictive, and I highly recommend it.

Edit:

The only reason I havent payed for it yet is because I need to finish a school project, and I know I wont finish it if I do.

cb1202

Head Gardener
I was thinking about restarting when I bought it, u mean the native one right? Is it more balanced?

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking about restarting when I bought it, u mean the native one right? Is it more balanced?

Native Expansion mod just makes the game a whole lot better, without really changing the "Core" game.

I would recommend though that whenever you start a new game, hit the "Camp" button in-game, and you'll have a new menu there where you can set some game options for the "Native expansion" mod - including disabling the "Dark Knights" feature native expansion introduces to the game (basically after a preset number of days, an 'uber-force' comes in to the map and starts wiping everyone out, you need an epic army or some epic skills to fight them back - so initially you may want to extend the time before they come in to be 200 days rather than the default 75, or disable them altogether). Check out the other options there too - disabling the "Personality Conflicts" between the heroes/adventurers you can recruit is pretty good, as it allows you to hire anyone you want to customise the feel of your party more.

cb1202

Head Gardener
I cant seem to get anywhere in the native expansion, it is much more difficult. I was taken prisoner and drug inside enemy lines and just couldnt manage to make it back to friendly territory.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I cant seem to get anywhere in the native expansion, it is much more difficult. I was taken prisoner and drug inside enemy lines and just couldnt manage to make it back to friendly territory.

Don't attack any enemy faction until you've already built up an army (like 150+ troops that have been trained up to high level). Until then, earn experience & money taking out bandit groups, sea raider groups etc. and constantly selling all the loot you get to any town/merchant that has money. Try and get a "Heavy Charger" horse on yourself and all of your hero characters - it doesn't need much riding skill and allows you to plough through enemy lines just by charging in to them without even needing to swing a weapon - great for huge groups of bandits & sea raiders that don't have spears (spears slaughter horse-charges).

cb1202

Head Gardener
The problem is any time I try and move around I get attacked by the random groups war raid parties, and I can't ever build up a decent army.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is any time I try and move around I get attacked by the random groups war raid parties, and I can't ever build up a decent army.

Learn to avoid them when it's just you by yourself! Run around to all the cities, and go in the taverns of every city. Talk to any heroes (NPC's with unique names) that are willing to join your party.

I don't mean the mercenaries (eg "4 mercenary knights are willing to join you"), but the actual unique heroes that you can level up and assign skillpoints to just like your main character. Some will join you for free, some will join you for something like 100-500 gold, and others won't join you unless you build up a big reputation first. But check all the taverns in all the cities and grab perhaps 5 of the "free" (or cheap) heroes, and start levelling them up. Remember that "party skills" (like tracking, spotting, engineering, first aid, surgery) only need to be high on one party member, so you can have 1 hero working on surgery and first aid, 1 hero working on engineering and tracking, 1 hero on spotting and... etc.

Also make sure you max the "training" skill on every character including yourself. This skill grants "free" exp to every character in your group (including the soldiers) that are below the level of the trainer, for every trainer. So if you have 5 heroes at level 25 with 10 training (10 training gives 80 exp per day) every single troop below level 25 will be getting exp - so if you have 100 peasants, you'll get 5 * 100 * 80 exp on the peasants - which is an instant level up in 1 day without having to do anything.

A group with you and 4 heroes in, especially if you have a "heavy charger" horse, will be able to take down the smaller sea-raider parties (and with some practise, even the huge sea raider parties) you find on the coast, and you get good exp and loot from them. Keep at that and keep levelling up just you and your heroes, until you're around level 30 and your heroes are around level 20+. Once you hit this stage, you can think about starting to hire an army (hiring peasants at villages and training them up). Don't bother with an army before you've got some high level heroes and you are high level yourself though.

Now you have an army built up, and once the army troops are all quite high level (eg 150+ Nordic Berserkers) - you can think about joining another faction (you'll get offered to join/fight for a faction randomly when your reputation is high enough), or just going to war on a faction all by yourself and taking over some castles/cities :p

Zach

Planter
To all those bushers who bought mount and blade, there is an expansion in the beta right now which YOU have access too provided you still have your serial key.

Its all multiplayer and they changed some of the fighting mechanics (it feels smoother.) Its a lot of fun and i think its going somewhere. Anyway it would be more fun to play with friends so go download the beta and hit me up by pm or on irc!

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To all those bushers who bought mount and blade, there is an expansion in the beta right now which YOU have access too provided you still have your serial key.
Its all multiplayer and they changed some of the fighting mechanics (it feels smoother.) Its a lot of fun and i think its going somewhere. Anyway it would be more fun to play with friends so go download the beta and hit me up by pm or on irc!

I'm not going to be trying the beta out, I'm too busy, but let us all know how it is, how it compares to the first one etc.! I'm also interested in how different the single player version of the new game is compared to the original, I'm not too sure I fancy the idea of multiplayer Mount & Blade (unless it's really amazing)

Zach

Planter
They don't include any of the single player campaign in the beta unfortunately, so i have no idea what they have added/changed. Its nothing too amazing yet but the fighting mechanics apply well to multiplayer, the manual direction blocking, and fainting; some swordfights can get pretty intense.