xbox 360 old and new warning + overheating

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
hey, If you have a red ring of death or are thinking of getting a new xbox, you may wish to read this before assuming your old xbox parts will be compatible with the new...they will NOT.

my old xbox is the really old version its the pre 2007 i believe. before the hdmi supporting xboxes came out. It started getting 2 red led's on the left. red ring of death... but it meant over heating. the console it self was fine it was the power supply.

i saw on you tube and interwebz that plugging the unit directly into the mains and suspending the power supply brick in the air has worked for some people. and for a month or so it worked for me, but this weekend it wasn't working. and i left the xbox in a cold place and played it for 20 minutes. the console was not even warm nor was the brick. it was colder than my piss. anyway still got the red ring. So i bought a new xbox. the "slim" version the only version i could get new.

the new version is snazy and all but it comes with the following differences:
the hard drives are no longer compatible. (there are youtube videos showing how to make one fit the other but its pretty dodgy) so its worth getting the larger hard drive version 250gb not 4gb for the extra £49.99.

also the old xbox had a cable with both scart and component R.G.B. which allowed me to use my turtle beach headset, watch it in hd, and not have sound coming from the tv if i so chose. The new console came with only a scart (yellow + red and white stereo) and the hdmi cable i bought seperate. but you cannot use the scart lead to get the sound into the turtle beach head set. whilst using the hdmi cable. they have a tab on the scart lead to stop this. So im forced to use my old consoles cable with the new console if i want to play in HD and use my old turtle beach head set....(i imagine the new headsets for turltle beach would be compatible)

also i cannot use my old hard drive without taking it to pieces. pretty annoying considering it was a birthday present not more than a few months back. basically microsoft are utter monkey spanners. making the new and old incompatible. So make sure you check out the console very carefully before buying it if you feel the need like i did.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Microsoft are indeed monkey spanners. Everything they do is aimed at cadging more money from you, not improving customer experiences.

There is absolutely no reason for them to make their own equipment incompatible other than so you have to buy a new one.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
That being said, I managed to create a hard drive adapter for the old hard drive to new console issue.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
yeah seen ways to take out the sat and plug it in. but ffs, i shouldnt have to resort to botching my old 250g hard drive. they could even allow me to use the transfer cable to use it as an external drive. but no. i should have just gone down the route of saving everything to memory stick. and using a converter from hdmi. but i shouldnt have to.

if i wasnt so impatient would have just got a new power supply. never mind. that will teach me.

if they backwards compatible time splitters 2 on xbox up to 360 they could redeem themselves.... no idea what ill do for the next gen of consoles...ps who have alot more intergration and free stuff. but shoddy servers. or xbox who will screw me or force me to fully upgrade. but at least can provide decent servers with all the money they make.
probably end up going with microsoft, only because they have bought thier way into what was going to be playstation only games like metal gear solid, resident evil and final fantasy. Just a shame they are such money grabbing douches the whole time.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
yeah seen ways to take out the sat and plug it in. but ffs, i shouldnt have to resort to botching my old 250g hard drive. they could even allow me to use the transfer cable to use it as an external drive. but no. i should have just gone down the route of saving everything to memory stick. and using a converter from hdmi. but i shouldnt have to.

if i wasnt so impatient would have just got a new power supply. never mind. that will teach me.

if they backwards compatible time splitters 2 on xbox up to 360 they could redeem themselves.... no idea what ill do for the next gen of consoles...ps who have alot more intergration and free stuff. but shoddy servers. or xbox who will screw me or force me to fully upgrade. but at least can provide decent servers with all the money they make.
probably end up going with microsoft, only because they have bought thier way into what was going to be playstation only games like metal gear solid, resident evil and final fantasy. Just a shame they are such money grabbing douches the whole time.

It could be worse - Apple could attempt a games console. Then all the headaches of Microsoft's greed and incompetence would be trebled.