Windows 7 Release Candidate

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Is there special features? Special effects? WTF!
I dont want any stupid special effects or features! I want my OS to work.... If I change to win 7 and I still must go to explorer every time I open my comp and it still looks exactly the same and NO I DONT WANT STUPID SMALL IMAGES THAT RENDERS EVERY FREAKING MOVIE I HAVE ON MY HD... as they all start with black window and theres no use to have those RAM eating BS things that heats and stresses my comp for no reason and slows things down (I like my comp silent).

If I still open things same way, I still go to web same way and it looks the same, I still find same stuff from same places etc. WTF it is good for? If XP does all that win vista or win 7 does, but is faster, without all those BS effects that I dont give a crap about, has same ways to work in every other dimension... why should I change to something that is but effect buffed XP?

I ask again like Azzer did can you give us ONE reason what is better / new in Win 7 above XP/Vista that is not just some eye candy that requires more of your comp and gives nothing in return... like something actually new. Like I can somehow open what I want with my mind, or I can find things easier and faster? I can actually do things I normally do easier? and no I dont want any freakling stagging bars... if I have 3 browsers open or 5 I DONT want them to stack cause then I cant tell whats in what but go to some stupid box that jumps and select from there... I rather am able to close and open stuff directly from my titlebar... I know what I open and where dont need windows to group things for me.

Chezz

Harvester
I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant was that OS doesn't NEED special stuff to be considered good. Most people just want it to work perfectly.

As for the better/new thing that is in Windows 7, I can't really give you an answer atm, it's hard to compare 2 programs, let alone 2 OSes. I'll try to find something later though. I'm busy trying to complete some weird assignment ;).

Edit: By the way, the 2nd paragraph was just a review of some features that I noticed. I wasn't saying that they were good or bad or anything.

aGit

Harvester
one thing win 7 has going for it over xp, is that its not 8 years old.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
one thing win 7 has going for it over xp, is that its not 8 years old.

Lol....

Also one new feature i've just discovered (which may have existed in Vista, i didn't notice) which i like is the ability to put an 'address bar' in your taskbar which makes for quick and easy browsing/opening of pages when i don't have a browser open. It doesn't make or break the OS but it's a nice little addition that doesn't require an outside addon to use (like Launchy).

As for my general enjoyment; so far it's clean, and fast and it really is what Vista should have been without all the extra memory hogging facepalming amoun of crap. Fast, clean and functional; i can't really ask for much more :)

And as for the argument of 'necesssity' for the nice little features and gimmicks, so long as they genuinely work, without destroying what is in my case a decidedly average system; i quite like them. I'm not forcing anyone to change their OS, heaven forbid people should take computer advice from me, but if you're deciding between Vista or something else, no reason not to go for Windows 7. You can always uninstall it if you really wish :p If you wish to stay with XP, then so be it; but I think you're missing out on a nice, smooth OS.

God forgive me, but this really sums up my feelings so far:

It works the way you expect: it’s fast, reliable, and works with your hardware and software

It’s simple and easy to use so you can just dig in and use it right away

It actually works like they describe, which has got to be a first for Microsoft! :D

My 0.5 cents, which i'll be adding to later i'm sure.

Last edited:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Also one new feature i've just discovered (which may have existed in Vista, i didn't notice) which i like is the ability to put an 'address bar' in your taskbar which makes for quick and easy browsing/opening of pages when i don't have a browser open.

You absolute legend!

I remember this from before when i had windows now but i'd forgotten! Definately a nice tool!

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Thanks souls...
So so far... new calc... woo my current one doesnt regognize button pressings all the time... weird... it click them on screen but nothing happens.

Then there was something else... ohh yeah wlan thing... windows current one sucks...

Then faster boot and installing sounds nice... but after that... looks like completely same as vista and basicly same as xp...

Ohh btw.. as its beta... does microsoft include in installer some kind of multiboot system or if you want to install it you must do it all by yourself?

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I assume yourself, BW - Windows never really supports multi-boot "by default". I'd avoid it until release though on anything except an experimental machine - just because when you think how many "serious security vulnerabilities" exist in every main OS (98, 2000, XP, Vista) during the first few months of actual release (at minimum!) that there are critical patches for... imagine how many vulnerabilities exist in a release candidate/beta :p Basically if you do boot out of Windows 7 RC, make sure there's nothing on that hard-drive you don't want to lose and don't want other people seeing/accessing!

Anyway the faster bootup times, and lower memory footprint when running, are two features that sound worthwhile to me. Apparently it's a lot more stable than Vista too, but actually Vista's dead stable for me - never have any crashes at all - just as good as XP was. So I'll likely upgrade in 2010 when it's released, just for the bootup times and memory footprint thingies if anything. But I won't try the RC :p

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Yeah my bigest wonder was that if they make it beta... as in test versions... how the hell they think we people want to change to it completely and not have multi boot to XP... it kinda sounds weird to me.

I would assume that as it is test version and might not be stable people would be given multi boot option in installer... its completely different thing when its finished... but untill that.

Chezz

Harvester
Windows has never really supported multi-booting software AFAIK, but what I did was that I had an empty partition that I never touched, so I just did a clean install onto that partition with no trouble.

If you want to try out other OSs which have a multiboot program, you can try Ubuntu, which has an installer which installs it inside Windows, meaning that it is treated as just a normal program in the same drive, and you can easily uninstall it using the Add/Remove programs option in Windows.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
It's, as many have stated, fantastic. Boot times, memory, etc are all very much improved upon. The new taskbar - although a bit weird at first - is great too once you get used to it! Start menu is also greatly improved - things like Messenger Live are sort of...integrated into the start menu, so you can roll your mouse over it and sign out, change your status, etc. Similarly, things like WinAmp, you can roll your mouse over and start it up with a recently opened file. Small features like that are what make 7 pretty damn awesome.

And despite everyone saying they turn off all the graphical features as they just bog you down (or what-have-you!), they are incredibly smooth and take up little-to-no extra processing capability. I'm running 7 on my Samsung NC10 Netbook (which has the bare minimum of hardware) with all Aero features running very smoothly!

Windows Experience Index now also goes up to 7.9 instead of 5.9 ;-)

Chezz

Harvester
I'm running 7 on my Samsung NC10 Netbook (which has the bare minimum of hardware) with all Aero features running very smoothly!

Windows Experience Index now also goes up to 7.9 instead of 5.9 ;-)

You're getting a rating of 7.9 on a computer that "has the bare minimum of hardware"?! :shock:

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
No... it's 2.1 :p Due to "desktop graphics".
I was just saying that WEI goes up to 7.9 now as with Vista it was only 5.9

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does that mean you cant turn off freaking BS messenger anymore, but its run at every start?
Also I have never been fan of grouping things... so theres option to turn it off I hope.

I think it just mans if Messenger is already running, then it "melds" in to the start menu.

Like you though, I'm tempted to say that (without actually trying it myself, which may well change my opinion), that sounds awful actually. I like my programs to be within their own windows, and where I put them! :p I'm a bit of a stubborn "die-hard" like that.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Its not like that.

If messenger isnt running, from the start menu there is a little arrow with a few options (which you have to sign in for). Once you sign in msn pops up and has its own window like usual.

So it isnt actually running all the time or anything.

(if thats what your getting at :D)

Mattheus

Head Gardener
OK, so I'm using Windows 7. And I hate hate hate the toolbar at the bottom. I like that it's more compact in terms of just showing the icon. But I just don't get how when i minimise mIRC it'll be hidden from the toolbar, so I have to double click it in the hidden icons sub-menu on the right to get it back up. I even pinned mIRC to it, but now when minimised clicking the icon just starts a WHOLE NEW MIRC. GAH.
Someone explain why this is better please, and/or how the hell I can fix this.

Souls

Official Helper
That's part of mIRC, you have to disable that in options.

Options > Display > Options > Tray