• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Weather etc. (Greenhouse Mode)

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
Oki, little idea that popped into my head regarding the weather system and how it can instantly put off new players (and be super frustrating at round start aswell)

For the first say, 144 ticks of an ID's existence, it's acres are unaffected by weather/seasonal effects (Night and Day still apply ofc)

The time period is ofc up for discussion, and could be based around an acre total instead (1k acres or summit like that)

So, ideas/constructive criticism is as always appreciated. :p

CFalcon

Official Helper
Would definitely be an improvement. And I'm fully behind getting rid of the BS that is 3 hours of rain at round start.
I think an acre threshold rather than a time limit would be more appropriate. And if, once you've crossed the threshold, a tutorial style window appears explaining that weather will affect things now, then it'll be perfectly clear to beginners.

Edit: do you mean it just affects seed production from acres, or would it also affect growing into plants as well? I think it should be both, but just want to be clear.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Have it just whilst doing the tutorial, BUT the first 2 days of the round or something. Part of skill is doing maths in the clouds :p

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
Would definitely be an improvement. And I'm fully behind getting rid of the BS that is 3 hours of rain at round start.
I think an acre threshold rather than a time limit would be more appropriate. And if, once you've crossed the threshold, a tutorial style window appears explaining that weather will affect things now, then it'll be perfectly clear to beginners.

Edit: do you mean it just affects seed production from acres, or would it also affect growing into plants as well? I think it should be both, but just want to be clear.

Yeah, both seed production and growing, and yeah tutorial window explaining the weather system when IDs are getting close to the threshold (rather than after they've past it, better to give them the info before they cross the line than after imo)

Steve_God

Official Helper
I'd strongly agree to this - however only on the basis that it would be after say the first week to avoid abuse, as that also allows the initial growth phase (as Martin referred to) to allow those who are clever enough, or those that have taken a gamble with their land set-up, to do well.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
the round starts in spring. I could see doing something similar to this for poeple who need/use the tutorial and are starting ~winter (or anytime between nov. and feb.) for new players.

sure you can have clouds and rain in the first ticks. it lessens but doesn't wipe out your growth. someone starting during winter would have a much more difficult time of getting off the ground.

so 'new startup/tutorial' during winter = good. round start = bad. would make start up automatic and in imbaezzmode.

simply it takes thought out of the game and would make round start the same formula no matter what (unless people wanted to do something other than well at the start).

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
simply it takes thought out of the game and would make round start the same formula no matter what (unless people wanted to do something other than well at the start).

Given that it is invariably the same people who do well at the start, and the weather is usually good anyway, would it make any difference? isn't like the seasonal plant is used anyway, cos the harvester requirements are so incredibly high that it isn't viable at the start, so the only difference is it'd remove the occasional bit of rain/cloud near the start, which screws everyone over equally anyway, I fail to see how it actually would really change much anyway...

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
if it wouldn't change much, then why add? the constant sun would only be a change in your mind at that point.

i still think it's a good idea for new people in winter. this is where it'd be most valuable.

Davs

Garden Designer
if it wouldn't change much, then why add?

Well I assume it's a lot harder to code for it to only be during the autumn/winter months rather than for the whole round - and seeing as it won't really hurt to have it during the start, there's no real need for the extra coding.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Well I assume it's a lot harder to code for it to only be during the autumn/winter months rather than for the whole round - and seeing as it won't really hurt to have it during the start, there's no real need for the extra coding.

This.

And I think this is a good idea overall.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer

You're crazy. you put in conditional modifiers to check for the seasons. 1-5 extra lines of code to do this. if you do this for all seasons you might as well get rid of weather. that would be the better idea.

CFalcon

Official Helper

I would agree if weather was in any way predictable or logical. But the game can just dump you straight from clear skies into heavy rain, and can jump straight back again. There's no "thought" or "skill" in that, it's a total lottery.

Making a decision over whether to plant despite it being heavy cloud, in order to gain a short term boost, that is a tactical decision that takes thought and skill. The game taking a sh*t on your round start and inadvertently giving a boost to the guy who missed a tick, is not.

Maybe it would be better if weather progressed a bit more logically from clear skies, to slight cloud, to heavy cloud, to rain, and then back again, rather than jumping from one extreme to another. Then there would actually be some decisions to make and thought involved.

You can guess what happened to my start last round :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

I would agree if weather was in any way predictable or logical. But the game can just dump you straight from clear skies into heavy rain, and can jump straight back again. There's no "thought" or "skill" in that, it's a total lottery.

Making a decision over whether to plant despite it being heavy cloud, in order to gain a short term boost, that is a tactical decision that takes thought and skill. The game taking a sh*t on your round start and inadvertently giving a boost to the guy who missed a tick, is not.

Maybe it would be better if weather progressed a bit more logically from clear skies, to slight cloud, to heavy cloud, to rain, and then back again, rather than jumping from one extreme to another.

You can guess what happened to my start last round :p

I can sympathize with both points of view here, absolutely.

I like CF's thoughts regarding a logical progression from one weather system to another.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Maybe it would be better if weather progressed a bit more logically from clear skies, to slight cloud, to heavy cloud, to rain, and then back again, rather than jumping from one extreme to another.

I've been thinking this for quite a long time but never really thought about suggesting it.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer

it'd be a different idea at this point, but i can't say that I'm against this. however, i'd also say that the progression has a chance of going either way so you don't simply view weather as a moon phase change (i.e. total predictability over waxing and waning of storm fronts - even the farmer's almanac isn't always right)

of course if gardening is done away with all together - this would be a moot point, both the op idea and this.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
just to be clear the suggestion is for any one starting to have a grace period where the weather has no effect on thier yields or production. and it treats it as if it were always sunny.

if this is the case im all for it. length is a key factor and probably fairer to set it as an acre limit. all the values ive seen seem to high. its just to get the player on thier feet. hell most new players dont know when to stop buying land anyway. also i see no angst for it being applied to every one for every start for every season. its equally fair in my mind. and as long as the weather effect is only excluded for say the first 500 acres. then it will still require some "tactics" on planting growing etc. land set up....if i missed the point then meh ignore what you just read.