Seed "Banking" Myth

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
So, I had a thought today...

You have 20b of seeds stocked, and a huge incoming that contains a massive number of seed thieves, which either:

a) Your alliance can't defend.
b) You can't defend on your own, or
c) Won't trigger AR.

What do you do? Well, you could always sell your seeds before they're stolen.

But what if you decided to send out your Gard and Tractors to HQ or their deaths and PLANT those seeds?

In theory -- if you sent the Gard/Trac to HQ, those seeds would not be grown until they were recalled -- or until you bought more Tractors. They'd merely sit in a "limbo" like state, neither stocked seeds nor stocked plants... So in my eyes, that would mean they can't be stolen, as they aren't stocked.

All a player would need to do (albeit, a very boring strategy), is to buy Combines, Geos, Harvesters (flak) and Seed Thieves, to keep their seed count ticking over. Once they get more seeds, they can grow them into safety.

ALL IN THEORY. This is why I've raised the point. It's a grey area for me, so clarification would be fantastic.

So my questions are:

a) If seeds are grown and no longer stocked, can they still be stolen? If they can still be stolen, the rest of the questions are invalid. However, if they can't be stolen, read on.

b) Can seeds be kept in this "limbo" state indefinitely?

c) Do seeds that have been "planted", but not yet "grown" still count towards score?

Your thoughts....?

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I did this in Enmity for like a week before RRR disbanded. Signer+BuBbles+ a bunch others kept attacking me with 70m+ seed thieves. Every time they attacked me I just planted them at Attacking for 1 and they couldn't steal them, but i wouldn't have to plant and get into even more of their ranges. They still count as SEED score when they're in limbo. They don't decay either.

Annoying bit is if you send multiple attacks out is timing your gardies to get back all the same tick so you can send them to the HQ all at once, pretty hard to do, but I managed to master it and continue regular game play :D Fun stuff.

Greenfinger

Planter
awsome =D.
those seeds that you started planting doesent count towards youre score more than seeds in general.
and they are there SO LONG untill you buy gardeners or tractors, and they cannot be stolen ^^
woot

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
As I figured.

This needs addressing then, it would seem.

It's basically fund stockpiling that can't be touched.

If a seed is planned to be planted, it would be sat in a field. If there are no Gardeners, there would just be a ton of sacks full of seeds, so therefore they should still be open for stealing.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
It doesn't really need to be fixed. Its not really abuesable...

So making your seeds "unstealable" isnt abuse?

Read the above. If you played it properly, you could forever just plant seeds and not grow them. Making them forever safe.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
You just mass seed thieves. If you get big enough you won't have any seed targets, and you won't be able to defend any land. You're not going to get anywhere big doing that.

No alliance is going to want someone who just stocks seeds.

I don't see the problem.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Read the above. If you played it properly, you could forever just plant seeds and not grow them. Making them forever safe.

So?

If you aren't going to contribute anything meaningful, please don't post.

It got old the first time around.

My post did have meaning. I was asking why it matters that seeds can't be stolen when you plant them.

If you can't come up with reasonable responses to criticisms of your suggestions, I suggest you don't post either.

cb1202

Head Gardener
excuse me it was the other way around.

* Score no longer considers seeds that are being grown, but have not actually grown, as plants. Previously things that were "growing" were giving the score value as if they were already plants - meaning you could gain an artifical score boost if you kept all gardeners away from your company and maintained all of your seeds as "growing". Now you will gain no score increase at all by growing or not growing your seeds, they will only give "plant sale value" once they actually become plants.

it was abusable before because JJ sat as rank 1 with no troops so u couldnt rush him while he was uncontactable.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

So?

If you aren't going to contribute anything meaningful, please don't post.

It got old the first time around.

My post did have meaning. I was asking why it matters that seeds can't be stolen when you plant them.

If you can't come up with reasonable responses to criticisms of your suggestions, I suggest you don't post either.

If you'd asked me the simple question, "Why does it matter that seeds cant be stolen when you plant them?", I would have given you a response.

Every post I've seen from you in response to mine, has been just like this one. Sarcastic or intended to provoke.

Not happening.

In response to your "question" (loosely put), it matters because it can render the seed thief useless whilst giving maximum benefit to the defender. Yes, they could just sell seeds if they're under attack, but they could lose out on a great deal of funds. You don't see people shipping out their land for 1 tick so they don't lose any.

If they grow, their seeds are safe until the attack finishes, allowing them to revisit the situation a few ticks later and grow their seeds to make the full amount of money from them as plants.

Is it so wrong to think that Seed Thieves should also target seeds that have been set to be planted? They're essentially still in stock, and it would mean that you can't use this little technique to get around rightfully losing seeds to an attacker.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
It does not render the seed thief unit useless. It means there is a counter to it. If you're offline or if you forget to plant then your seeds are stolen. If you're online you have the option to plant your seeds and get the funds for it later.

If you're losing seeds the chances are you're losing land as well, and if you had played this game at a high level you wouldn't be wondering why people might want a way to counter seed thieves. Last round me and my allies were routinely getting bashed by the rank 1 alliance who were sending hundreds of millions of seed thieves. I shouldn't have to tell you that that can put a real crimp in your day. Planting up and sending out was the only option we had. You get the funds when your gards are home anyway so what's the problem?

Leaving your gards out 24/7 is too much of a pain in the ass for most people to bother with.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
It does not render the seed thief unit useless. It means there is a counter to it. If you're offline or if you forget to plant then your seeds are stolen. If you're online you have the option to plant your seeds and get the funds for it later.

If you're losing seeds the chances are you're losing land as well, and if you had played this game at a high level you wouldn't be wondering why people might want a way to counter seed thieves. Last round me and my allies were routinely getting bashed by the rank 1 alliance who were sending hundreds of millions of seed thieves. I shouldn't have to tell you that that can put a real crimp in your day. Planting up and sending out was the only option we had. You get the funds when your gards are home anyway so what's the problem?

Leaving your gards out 24/7 is too much of a pain in the ass for most people to bother with.

See? You can be nice... All you have to do is give a proper response and I'll respect you for it.

I can accept that, and that's fine. But I think that you shouldn't need a counter to seed thieves.. There should be something done elsewhere in the game to stop the bashing from people above you.

What would happen if somebody launched hundreds of millions of geos?

You cant put your land on a truck and ship it out temporarily lol. So where's the counter to that? XD

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Land and seeds aren't the same thing. Seeds are a product of your land. It's more like sending your troops out and recalling them afterwards (still not a perfect example, but a better one I think). You're not gaining anything by it, but you're not losing anything either.

The attackers will be getting land so they can't complain, and it's just one way for the target to avoid being totally bummed.

The counter to losing land is called an alliance.

And I really don't care whether you respect me or not.

Steve_God

Official Helper
A lot of us probably agree with your comments that it is in theory abusable, however, on the otherside of the coin (and one that I imagine Azzer may argue) is that it is a 'tactic feature' of the game, as by doing so, there are disadvantages, such as it may lead to planting in bad weather, giving you increased score, and putting you in range of more targets, to name two :)

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
A lot of us probably agree with your comments that it is in theory abusable, however, on the otherside of the coin (and one that I imagine Azzer may argue) is that it is a 'tactic feature' of the game, as by doing so, there are disadvantages, such as it may lead to planting in bad weather, giving you increased score, and putting you in range of more targets, to name two :)

Cheers Steve.

That's the kind of answer I was hoping for.

I suppose if somebody wants to spend an entire round with no Gardeners, and just stocking/growing seeds -- that's for them to decide! :D

/me plots for next round.