Reading Stuff

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I never noticed anything on reading in this section recently, so I intend to kickstart something worthwhile...

So, we play a game based upon ratios, economy, efficiency, etc - So I genuinely recommend a favourite of mine called 'Super Freak-o-nomics'. If you can handle your mathematics, and you want a different way of looking at things (or in my case the definition of how I look at things), then I thoroughly recommend it.

Obviously there's A Song of Ice & Fire, too.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
My friend emailed me a pdf of a book called "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps". Some people seem to think it a little controversial but some of the fundamental aspects it deals with are quite enlightening. You could probably find the pdf floating around on the internet if interested. Only took me a few days to finish.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Sci-Fi:
Anything by Sara King is awesome. Character driven sci fi. Hilarious, crazy, brutal and psychotic. Really fun stuff. Millennium Potion series, Outer Bounds, Legend of Zero

Crimson Worlds Series is great too by Jay Allan. More space opera kind of stuff, has some of the very very very best plotting, counter plotting, vengeance, and physics related battles. Really glorious stuff.

The Empire's Corps by Christopher G. Nuttall: yet another big space piece of sci fi. Really wonderful. Great collapse of a huge interstellar empire, all the attendant psychotic works. Really fun.

Fantasy: Forgotten Realms "Elminster Series": magic, vengeance, all the classic fantasy stuff. Really fun for those who've done other Forgotten Realms readings (like Drizzt)

Those are just a few of the books I've read recently.

Terrakan

Harvester
Conn Iguldden - Emporer and Conquerer series are both a really good read
Peter F Hamilton - The Reality Dysfunction is a good sci-fi book

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
neil gaiman - neverwhere, american gods.

bbc even did a miniseries on neverwhere. good stuff.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
neil gaiman - neverwhere, american gods.

bbc even did a miniseries on neverwhere. good stuff.

Hell yes. Anansi Boys and American Gods are my favourites.

If you like Neil Gaimen you might also like Stone Junction by Jim Dodge.

Max

Garden Designer
Upon Toby's prior recommendation I have recently acquired a copy of Dune, which I am thoroughly looking forward to reading on holiday.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Upon Toby's prior recommendation I have recently acquired a copy of Dune, which I am thoroughly looking forward to reading on holiday.

Then go home and download Emperor: Battle For Dune like a good lad.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Dune is probably the best science-fiction novel ever written. You will not regret it.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Also for the fantasy lovers out there, the final Wheel of Time book was released earlier this year so now is a good time to start. One of the greatest series of books I've read. I recommend it to everyone, but especially if you're into sword-and-magic epics. It isn't flawless, but once I had started reading it I had to keep going and going and going. As my dad would say, it's a good yarn.

Plus there are like 14 books and they're all massive so it'll keep you occupied for a good while.

Chris_

Head Gardener
200px-Reading_FC.svg.png

247157d1337459993-lofty-ambitions-reading-fc-416_premiership_trophy_01_416x300.jpg