NetGamers connection issues 23rd Oct 2008

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
NetGamers is having some problems with it's DNS tonight (in short, means that you are unable to connect using /server irc.netgamers.org)

I've temporarily added the addresses of all the IRC servers to a subdomain of my personal domain, so all people need to do whilst NetGamers is having this problem is /server netgamers.markbarton.me.uk to connect to NetGamers

WildDisease

Pruner
Re: NetGamers connection issues 23rd Oct 2008

Markb said:
NetGamers is having some problems with it's DNS tonight (in short, means that you are unable to connect using /server irc.netgamers.org)

I've temporarily added the addresses of all the IRC servers to a subdomain of my personal domain, so all people need to do whilst NetGamers is having this problem is /server netgamers.markbarton.me.uk to connect to NetGamers

Please tell NetGamers to whitelist mibbit from Glines!

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah if we're going to be using Mibbit as a common chat client next Age, and NetGamers are doing anything "globally" to Mibbit, then we will be using a different network in future if no other solution can be found.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

Currently the connection limits for mibbit are 40 for the standard mibbit (the "public" client at www.mibbit.com/chat/) and 40 for the widget (the "stick mibbit on your own website", which is what Bush will be using) version. I wouldn't see a problem in asking the NG oper staff to increase this number further if usage does get that high.

Other networks / irc server software do have another way of handling mibbit and other publically accessible web irc clients. NetGamers is fine for Bushtarion, for at least the foreseeable future to be honest. Moving to "larger" networks would only create other problems. (I have in the past been part of plans with friends to create another irc network, but the problem with any irc network is getting a suitably sized userbase)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

What has size of userbase to do with anything?
Irc servers are very easy to install, very easy to handle and doesnt require much bandwith and prosessor wise. As long as you have some reason to have such server operating, such as bushtarion. It is very smart to move to such server. That way you can cut majority of harassing, you can lengthen ingame bans to IRC and it is much more userfriendly for everyone.

I am sorry that I cant get the lengthen of your problem.
I had my own IRC server for ViruS, as did many of PA alliances. All of those worked extremely well, were much easier to handle and had nice userbase.
After all the amount of people who will stop by to #bushtarion by "accident" or by joining there will join the game is very close to zero. So I really cant find the downsides of it.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

BlackWolf said:
What has size of userbase to do with anything?

My general opinion is, there is no point in having a server/network for just <20 users when a channel on a bigger network would suffice.

I'm not arguing against moving to another IRC server / network, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to Azzer if situations arose on NetGamers. I've setup, and run an IRC server before, one of my said friends in my last post has done a lot of work on ircu and gnuworld (what P is based on), so we wouldn't have to look for a different set of services if we needed a separate Bush network.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

One channel?
I ran 3-5 channels on full use all the time for only 1 alliance!! Being able to separate different things to different channels were awesome.
For example when we had like 50 players in alliance knowing who is actually around is pretty hard. So who joined attack channel was in... easy to organize etc.

Think about bushtarion it has on average 50-70 people in irc... from multiple alliances etc. Having simple system with almost all the time server mods around for channel registration etc. would be a bless. No more stupid P and netgamers 30 days thing and all this account registering and passwords... one account to bush and your set... your alliance would get automatically its own channel which would be restricted to alliance players only where ingame IRC would log you in etc.

I can see a lot of positive sides and not much negative ones.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

BlackWolf said:
One channel?
I ran 3-5 channels on full use all the time for only 1 alliance!! Being able to separate different things to different channels were awesome.
For example when we had like 50 players in alliance knowing who is actually around is pretty hard. So who joined attack channel was in... easy to organize etc.

Think about bushtarion it has on average 50-70 people in irc... from multiple alliances etc. Having simple system with almost all the time server mods around for channel registration etc. would be a bless. No more stupid P and netgamers 30 days thing and all this account registering and passwords... one account to bush and your set... your alliance would get automatically its own channel which would be restricted to alliance players only where ingame IRC would log you in etc.

I can see a lot of positive sides and not much negative ones.

This idea sounds ftw.

No-Dachi

Official Helper

I second that, Twigley. I'm sick and tired of having to re-register my nick every now and then ;p

But on a more serious note BW has a some valid points, and where I can see several benefits, the only downside I can see is actually having to move - and we all know how everything resists being changed ;)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I will keep on going a bit further with this...
I have said this all earlier so proly some guys can remember it all, and some people like dachi knows it all.

I ran Linux, with web server, IRC server and locally connected CGI:IRC web irc ability for year or something. My computer was AMD K6-2 350Mhz with 196Mb of ram. (So it is and was really old!!). I had 1Mb inside connection and 500k out, so my connection really wasnt that good.
We had some occasional problems with it. Mainly cause that old computer was in same apartment where I lived and was connected to same ADSL router as what I used in my daily activities with my main comp, and what for we had 2nd pretty good comp for too.
Another downside was to have computer running in your closet 24/7 (electricity, fire hazard etc.). But in the end I can say with the amount of users we had and on what base that server was built on, it ran extremely stable and worked extremely well.

IRC servers are built on very simple structure where one server is hub and others are leaf(s). Hub is like the base of the network, but with even 1 leaf you can split the stress to multiple computers and if one server crashes otherone still keeps going. I am sure that with community as ours there would eaily be 1-2 people who could support the community with working leaf servers to help making bush irc more stable.

Ofc this is just funny idea to play with as I doubt Azzer really wants to do things like this, yet I see it as valid option in case bushtarion wants to implement IRC as part of the game and be able to actually control it all.

Bobbin

Head Gardener

I'm all for having our own server... But at the end of the day we'd be missing out on all the walkins we get from being on a netgamers. You said it's not that many.. But you're wrong. There are several people who have joined the game from being on the same server as us.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I wonder what these Walkins are?
Lets see, to actually know some channel exists, you must either:
1. Get channel listing, which not many servers even allow you to do, in this case NG does allow it yet picking exactly bushtarion out of there, then trying the game and starting to be customer... pretty far fetched.
2. You check stuff like most active channels or so... and rest goes the same way as above.
3. You hear from your friend of this game which has channel in netgamers and then you join and then you start to play...

Get my point?
Currently Netgamers is not providing ANYTHING for bushtarion. Bush is supposed to be some sort of "member" of it, yet no other games are mentioning it on their website, netgamers website has only 1!! mention of whole bushtarion which is listed below some 10 rounds of PA (looks to me like dead game in that list), Netgamers have not "server wide" shouted of new rounds (that I have seen at least). So what is the thing that NG is giving? Nothing. With recent collapse of NG (during last 1,5 years) where servers have become more unstable and the structure of whole NG is actually getting smaller and people online is getting smaller. I dont see why to stick to sit on sinking ship?

Whole NG structure has been critisized by me numerous of times, all 30 days idle and nick gone to you can only get stupid bot to your channel if you have X amount of voters and we then manually go throught with it BS, is actually making whole system more harmfull than actually helpfull.
With some time investment Azzer could easily introduce IRC to be part of bushtarion, he could connect bots, directly to player accounts, make alliance systems, solo systems... you name it and it can be done. With NG that is not so.

I am sure that many players with some coding skills would eagerly help Azzer to create system that would not only beat NG anyday, but actually make bushtarion far better and more community based game than any of its competitors out there. With the cost of moving out of NG tho.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

BlackWolf said:
Currently Netgamers is not providing ANYTHING for bushtarion. Bush is supposed to be some sort of "member" of it, yet no other games are mentioning it on their website, netgamers website has only 1!! mention of whole bushtarion which is listed below some 10 rounds of PA (looks to me like dead game in that list), Netgamers have not "server wide" shouted of new rounds (that I have seen at least). So what is the thing that NG is giving? Nothing.
Azzer can ask for global notices / news entries on the website, but he has decided not to, until the time is right (ie Age 5).
Perhaps one of the admins in the NG partners team could have regular contact with Azzer to find out if he wants anything doing might help, but currently all the partner games have to do is ask for globals/news entries.

BlackWolf said:
..where servers have become more unstable ....
Things happen on the internet. Routers do go down occasionally, servers do go down occasionally as well. All networks will have the same problems with stability on the internet.

BlackWolf said:
all 30 days idle and nick gone
Oh, what a shame. If you aren't on IRC for more than 30 days, then you aren't using your nick, why keep it in the database? (specially if you aren't going to use it again) this keeps the number of available nicks for registration high. If you do intend on going on holiday for more than 30 days, then all you need to do is ask in #cservice for an extension and a member of the CService team will put a do not delete before 90 days idle comment on your nick. Not hard.

BlackWolf said:
to you can only get stupid bot to your channel if you have X amount of voters and we then manually go throught with it BS, is actually making whole system more harmfull than actually helpfull.
X = 2. Not many. Its not hard to register a channel.

1)Register your nick on the NG website.
2)Register channel on website.
3)Ask your 2 supporters to either do the support command on IRC, or support on the website.
4)Wait upto 24 hours for a CService admin to approve / decline channel.
5)Make P join the channel.

5 easy steps. If you need hand holding with some of the steps, just ask someone in #cservice.

BlackWolf said:
With some time investment Azzer could easily introduce IRC to be part of bushtarion, he could connect bots, directly to player accounts, make alliance systems, solo systems... you name it and it can be done. With NG that is not so.
Don't you think Azzer has more important things to do? Like get the game back in shape first.

BlackWolf said:
I am sure that many players with some coding skills would eagerly help Azzer to create system that would not only beat NG anyday, but actually make bushtarion far better and more community based game than any of its competitors out there. With the cost of moving out of NG tho.
How many of them know C/C++ and know how IRC actually works? mIRCscript and PHP aren't used.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Markb we all know that you are NG operator, but why so hostile? Would you lose your job or some money if bushtarion would be removed out of NG irc? I doubt that.

So please next time you want to be hostile towards me at least do it in some thread where it isnt as obvious as it was in this thread. I will ofc answer to you, but well I doubt it really matters what I say when your attitude is the kind we can see in your post.

markb said:
Azzer can ask for global notices / news entries on the website, but he has decided not to, until the time is right (ie Age 5).
Perhaps one of the admins in the NG partners team could have regular contact with Azzer to find out if he wants anything doing might help, but currently all the partner games have to do is ask for globals/news entries.
Yeah so Azzer can go to beg for people who might be there or might not be there to send network wide messages, in comparison to owning server and doing what ever he wants to do.
Also extending IRC / ingame bans to IRC etc. is impossible in NG network while he could do it in his own.

markb said:
Things happen on the internet. Routers do go down occasionally, servers do go down occasionally as well. All networks will have the same problems with stability on the internet.
Yes things do happen, but when they happen 10 times a week or three times a day it is bit too much, Bushtarion is running on pretty stable basis and I am sure bushtarions IRC server(s) would be running with same stability and beating NG 100-0

markb said:
Oh, what a shame. If you aren't on IRC for more than 30 days, then you aren't using your nick, why keep it in the database? (specially if you aren't going to use it again) this keeps the number of available nicks for registration high. If you do intend on going on holiday for more than 30 days, then all you need to do is ask in #cservice for an extension and a member of the CService team will put a do not delete before 90 days idle comment on your nick. Not hard.
What a shame? I registered my nickname to netgamers like 2000 or something, I have used that server since R4 of PA, I have been there for what 8 years!! That is 96 months!! And I was away 1 month and that is how oldies like me are respected by the system, while in Bushtarion oldies like me ARE respected by Azzer by allowing us to take round or two off and come back.

I really think you are pretty far from having an argue for one way or to another with your "go to beg cservice to extend your idle time"

markb said:
X = 2. Not many. Its not hard to register a channel.

1)Register your nick on the NG website.
2)Register channel on website.
3)Ask your 2 supporters to either do the support command on IRC, or support on the website.
4)Wait upto 24 hours for a CService admin to approve / decline channel.
5)Make P join the channel.

5 easy steps. If you need hand holding with some of the steps, just ask someone in #cservice.
Yerah so instead of,(theoretically) I make bushtarion alliance and automaticalle have passworded channel where people in my alliance can join throught 3rd party software or from Azzers ingame IRC, I must find 2 people to vote for my site who are actually online.

Then I must get 4-5 people to stay on that channel for next 24-48 hours untill some guy comes in to check if theres someone in there (I have lost channel registration due night time inactivity over 10 times!!).

Then I spend next 2 hours adding people to that channel and making it restricted to this and that and allowed by this and that. After this all I have 1!! channel ready for alliance. Not 2, not 4 but only 1. Then for what ever I want to do I need to go throught mile long list of help files on some website as P doesnt give instructions.

After this all one of those vouchers decides to jump alliance... I must go to find some guy who might be there or not when I am online to beg him to remove that guys access to that channel, as I dont have right to do so. No matter if it is my alliances channel or that I own that channel...

Very very working system... not!
markb said:
Don't you think Azzer has more important things to do? Like get the game back in shape first.
No I actually dont think. I think IRC is major part of this game and by small things like this what I am suggesting and with the small amount of time invested in to it, it really could bring this game closer to community game again and at the end of the day make it much more interesting and user friendly towards people playing it... ending up to possible increase of player amount.
markb said:
How many of them know C/C++ and know how IRC actually works? mIRCscript and PHP aren't used.
What where? Whatta hell is this C/C++ thing?
Worlds largest used IRC bot is eggdrop which is not made on C/C++ (which can be updated with direct PHP access) , there are plenty of PHP bots around (I know as I have one on my comp), which can bedirectly connected to MySQL databases.
So where does this C/C++ thing come from as I have not once needed C to code bot to IRC no matter of what kind of things it must have done.

When whole bush is made in PHP, I dont see why PHP couldnt be used to run BOT that could have its own access to ingame data. Being on same server as bushtarion and working with same databases. Having restricted read only access would ensure that it couldnt be abused. Yet it could access information like alliances lists, player lists, rankings etc. You name it.

In case you dont know even if server software is made in C it doesnt mean that bots couldnt be made with some other language. Bots connects to server by 2 ways, 1 way is connecting normally just like normal person connects to server. Another way is to connect to passworded bot port which then gives that bot same kind of "root" access to channel levels, access etc of the server. Making that bot to work like P which can even k-line if it wants to. Bots are operating ABOVE servers code, they operate on same system as every person who connects the server is. They dont need to be ran on any spesific coding language, because they operate on IRC platform and they do things with same IRC commands we all others do, even server ADMIN has hes own commands what to use and operate with on server. What coding language is behind that server has nothing to do with it.

So please I beg you, if that is how much of IRC and coding you know, dont come to attack me with such info that has no truth behind it.

PS. What do you think is my reason to "suggest" something like this? Because I hate NG or because I think Bushtarion could actually gain from having its own server or simply because I want more power?
I really want to hear what you think is my reason. I can see that you would lose your power of being server mod and having no reason to be in NG server anymore. It is so sad to see people fighting against change only in fear of losing their power.... very sad.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Blackbacon said:
Yeah so Azzer can go to beg for people who might be there or might not be there to send network wide messages, in comparison to owning server and doing what ever he wants to do.

Dont put words in peoples mouths BW, dont phrase it as though Azzer has to "beg" for notices, all he has to do is ask...propaganda always was your thing but if your going to do it at least do it in some thread where it isnt as obvious as it was in this thread ;)

Tbh, i have no problem with Bushtarion being on netgamers and i think all the while there is even a small amount of advertising/players from the fact that bushtarion is on the netgamers server/website we should remain a part of that group

The only thing that i agree would be good about having our own server is if (as BW suggests) alliance channels could be automatically set up and password protected with members able to autojoin

BUT

It really isnt hard to set up your own channel and set up autojoin etc on netgmers...if you cant do it you shouldnt be using a computer...lol

One other thought, if we had our own server we wouldnt have P? Which is useful for auto-op/voice...channel bans, and giving different members different levels of P control...especially with the change of alliance structure coming...

x

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

In regards to services (P) pinpower, the base program that P is based on is open source, and there are other types of open source channel services. The only problem would be tying it into the bush database if that was wanted.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I knew I should have put the word beg between quotes.
I meant more that how Azzer cant be sure things will happen on certain day etc. because he is not in control, he is actually only person who can ask others to do things for him.
Those persons might not be around, might not care or might just forget to do what they were asked to do. That is the thing of NG network. As long as your not in control you are begging for troubles, and in Azzers case the trouble is that he is depending on NG people not himself.

No-Dachi

Official Helper

Pinpower - it is obvious that you havn't spent too many days on a private IRC server, much less running/operating one. There are scripts (ChanServ, e.g.), that will do exactly what P does without even being in the channel. The commands are the same /msg ChanServ DEOP BlackWolf #ViruS (or possibly the other way around). Anyways, the point is that as P is an example of a script, I've found other scripts to be better and more versatile than P.

I realize this might not come in for the launch of Age 5, but I would urge Azzer to really consider the benefits and get his own server asap after the launch. Age 5 is supposed to rejuvenate the Bushtarion game & community, and the possibilities with our own server are endless. There were some talks about using Mbit(?), and some discussion around the problems that NG only allows so and so many connections from the same IP (or something along those lines). With his own IRC server up and running Azzer could easily bypass that, and have an IRC client running from within the game, to effectively allow less organized alliances to communicate on an easier and more convenient basis.

Hell, you could even enhance the way alliances work by giving the alliance leader (or founder), a special tool/option to create a room for his alliance, give it a password or limit it only to his own members. We could have each player list his IRC registered nick on his profile/preferences, and have the IRC server only allow the players currently in the alliance access.

As for bots there could be coded a bot that on the querie !Marines would give the player a quick summary of the unit from the wiki/manual, that could either appear in every alliance channel automatically, or be "invited" by the leader.

You could also allow each member a range of say three different registered nicks. Like on our ViruS server I had No-Dachi, No-Away & [V]No-Dachi all registered on me, with auto kill on.

As BlackWolf said you can actually ban players from the server itself. You have easier access to functions as server wide notices, and you can have more options than the current OP/voice to further break up a channel or alliance command structure.

In the end, it's easier, it's more convenient and the possibilities of making IRC a part of the game (and making the community grows) by far outweighs the few straggles that come into #Bushtarion on random and actually begins to play.