Laptop Is Dying on ME!!!

Matt

Harvester
Hey,

Just thought id ask see if any of you guys have anymore idea's of what else i can do.

I have a Dell laptop custom made, had it about 2 n half years now.

and its just started going really slow all of a sudden, with anything i try and do even opening a picture on my computer it takes like 10-15 seconds. normally it would open literally straight away.

Also after about 10mins a Fan kicks in as if something is over heating an it needs to work harder to keep the laptop cool in working conditions.

this kicks in and stays on untill i turn off the laptop

I have tried Virus Checkers

AVG
Comodo
McAfee

Also Firewalls, malware spys....

my only other option i can think of storing all my pics on my external hard drive and whiping the entire system. if that fails to work then its going to cost me to get a new 1 as i am now getting stressed with the delays on everything i do.

I have about 80Gb of space still on my harddrive, i dont dl illegally or download anything for that matter except from Itunes. it just started happening friday just gone and no matter what i try i cant seem to find the cause of this.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Do you still have your installation disc?

Cause i format my lappy every year, after backing everything up ofc ;) and then it works a charm, id just do that

Also, did you install anything recently, cause some background programs can really slow your computer. I know AVG (the new version) does this, but not that much that it gets in the way...

Ill just add, my lappy is a 3.3 or so year old toshiba, and it is still going strong, in pretty good nick too ;) And formatting it is a good way of 'unclogging' it so to speak

but if you do back stuff up, id install antivirus, updated ofc, before restoring your stuff. And then scan them from your external hard drive ect, just in case (id just use AVG free)

Matt

Harvester
i only dl AVG and Comodo because of this problem.

it is weird as i havent installed anything new on my laptop and he problem just started. iam going to have to back up everything and wipe the system clean.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
if wiping your system doesn't fix the problem, then it's probably hardware.

shocking conclusion i know, but the fact that you state your system has to work so hard to constantly stay cool... it sounds like your processor is trying to burn itself up. Are you covering the vents/fans by putting your lappy on a pillow?

Steve_God

Official Helper
Regarding the performance, what the others above has suggested is spot on - over time the registry gets filled with alsorts of rubbish, and the hard drive will also have segments of data all over the shop, and those two things combined will cause the OS to run slow for no apparent reason.

With regards to the fan... get a hoover and point it at all the vents possible to remove as much dust as possible, as it's a common cause of blocking airways and reducing ventilation.

If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can always download a manual for your laptop with a guide of how to remove the base plate, and then dust the fans themselves (even though they are constantly moving, they can accumulate dust within the fan itself).

Matt

Harvester
Luckily i work for a projector Company, and we have about 12 tech's at the headquarters where im based so ive spoke to one of them whos going to give it a proper good clean inside.

this problem hasnt been gradual. it was fine when i went to work friday morning and **** when i got back from work. know one has been on it except me as the laptop is eithewr with me at work or locked in my room. my laptop is well ventelated on a stand and.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Good cleaning sounds nice plan.
After that if problem persists you should go for reinstalling windows if it is possible... For me installing win once in year is pretty normal. Darn microsoft.

If after both of those problem is still there then your in very kinky situation.

Podunk

Head Gardener
Hey I've got a dell laptop as well and it does the same exact thing with the fan, though it still runs fine.

I updated my BIOS and that seemed to fix it for a short while then the fan problems came back.

Maybe I should open mine up too for a good blow-out.