Internet troubles...

Walking_Death

Harvester
I am using Windows 7 on a new-ish computer. I use wireless internet. Anyways, I have this Netgear adapter that I plug in to get online. The network that appears, NETGEAR-2.4-G does not work for some reason. The long and short of it is that I restart my computer over and over again, and eventually I use something called VirtualProfile. VirtualProfile works perfectly well, but the problem is that for whatever reason, whenever I start up my computer, it might not be available. If I just leave my computer on, it doesn't ever go away, but if it doesn't appear in the list, I can't even connect by using the Manually Connect to a Hidden Network thing, even though that option acknowledges that it exists. It's really annoying to reset my computer until eventually it gets it right, has anyone else had this happen?

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I don't know if this is the same issue I had, but the problem with the new Windows and Netgear was that it didn't disconnect when I shut down my computer, so it got itself all confused! Every so often I just reset the router, and then when I re-boot my computer it works fine.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I get these sorts of enquiries/issues all the time. The reason is Windows 7's new networking system. It does all sorts of ridiculous things, that on XP would be a one minute fix - I've spent up to three hours in some cases trying to solve these issues.
Advice is basically, get a PCIx wireless card made by either Belkin or LinkSys. Reason being, because they only release products now that are fully compatible with the new Win7 networking system. Not only will it work, but it will receive a far better signal, and you'll get a much clearer connection from your router.