Idiots

Davs

Garden Designer
A lot of mods/ops don't even play the game anymore - are they expected to have a thorough knowledge of gameplay despite the fact they haven't played for an age?
Is this not a part of the problem? I understand that helpers still play the game and are meant to have a good knowledge of the way things work, but is having ops and mods that don't play by design or just due to history?

The IRC OPs and forum mods are there to ensure that people using the IRC channel and the forums are doing so in a way which abides by the rules listed by Azzer. There's no need for them to know anything about the game itself in order for them to be able to read a set of rules and "enforce" them (for lack of a better word).

As DA said, a degree of ingame know-how is always a handy advantage but by no means necessary. Also, in many respects, it would be fairer for those the ops serve if they were less affiliated with the game, as it would (in theory) make them impartial.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
I'd just like to point out that the bushtarion IRC topic is
www.bushtarion.com - Welcome to Bushtarion - FREE strategy game | Round 35 | - New players : Any questions feel free to PM a helper- they have a '+' or '@' next to their name.

(i think that atsan didn't have either so while he gets off on that i still stand by my argument. but at least there have been some steps to making help easier to come by.

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
www.bushtarion.com - Welcome to Bushtarion - FREE strategy game | Round 35 | - New players : Any questions feel free to PM a helper- they have a '+' or '@' next to their name.

(i think that atsan didn't have either so while he gets off on that i still stand by my argument. but at least there have been some steps to making help easier to come by.

That's my contribution for the day!

timtadams

Landscape Designer

That's my contribution for the day!

lol, so pointless and immature, yet the best post ive read today ;)
Just shows how immature i am :D

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
a police man isnt obliged to help put out a burning house(mainly due to lack of training to do so safely), but he certaintly shouldnt stand thier laughing going 'haha your house is on fire,... did some one leave the toaster on, silly silly'.

Noone can be liable for a pure omission. So no, even if a policeman were to stand there laughing, he would not liable. Infact, a fireman could do the same and still wouldn't be liable in negligence. There is only a positive duty to ensure that someone doesnt make the situation*worse* by a positive act.

Example fail.

Isn't there a law in the UK making it obligated to help people in case of an emergency (e.g. if you can swim, and some little kid falls into a lake and is about to drown, aren't you legally obligated to jump in and save the kid, and are liable if he drowns, and it's proven that there was no reason for you not to save the kid)?
(Obviously without making the situation worse or putting yourself in danger)

I think that’s in French law? Where the principle is the "good Samaritan rule"? I can’t remember. Well I know its more popular on the continent.

But the English doesn't recognise that as a legal principle. If a little kid is drowning a stranger can walk on by and incur no liability. The reasoning is that the child would have drowned regardless, and that might not have been there to save him.

However this only extends to situations where there is prior relationship, if the kid drowning happens to be under your responsibility, for example, you are the parent yeah you have to do something. Or if you push them in, that creates a link.

The English rules in this circumstance are similar to the American rules, where its essentially every man for themselves.

/off topic :D =P

don't know if anyone else caught this, but in the American Legal structure, if someone is in need of help, and you are trained to respond to the situation, you are legally liable to help them as best as you can. Similar laws also protect you from civil suites in-case while rendering help with good intentions, you cause any harm.

Example: If you are a nurse/Doctor, and you witness/drive past an accident where there are not already emergency personnel on scene, you are legally responsible to stop and offer what help you can.

I know a few nurses.. Only reason I know of the law ^_^

As for picking on that new player because of his name? That is a pretty jerkish move, but is in no way singular. Many many people flame new players simply because they are new. Which is one of many factors that are having a negative impact on the player-base. Forum moderator or just a normal player, if someone comes asking for help, its in your best interest to help them..

Beside, what will you do when there are only 100 players left in the game? 50? 20? There used to be thousands. Those were fun rounds. Even after a single alliance secured their top position, there was still enough people around to fight for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Right now? There's barely enough people to make 3 decent alliances worth fighting.. The rest are just semi-active land-farm for the others. Not really a fun environment for new players.

Just my 2 cents.