Dota 2

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I've played about 6 hours of training/tutorial/bot matches, and have got over some of the initial confusion.

Still have nowhere near got to grips with the shear variety of items and heroes though. :p

Think it is going to be a while before I dive into a real game. I've heard not-so-positive things about the community...

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I'll have to take you up on that at some point :)

I played a Bot match with another friend who has just started yesterday. Our bots won despite our presence on the team (combined 3/10/1 score... nice, yeah), but I'm not sure what that says ;)

No-Dachi

Official Helper
the best starting tip is to work relentlessly on yoir last hitting skills, and avoid dying. if you're not dying you're probably doing something right ;)

edd

Tree Surgeon
the best starting tip is to work relentlessly on yoir last hitting skills, and avoid dying. if you're not dying you're probably doing something right ;)

Much like Bush or anything battle related, you have to know when to fight and when to run away :)

Last edited:

edd

Tree Surgeon
Also, try to get a handle on what most heroes are capable of, which ones have stuns/silences/slows/invisibility/illusion/global moves. These are the kinds of things that you want to have a basic handle on by the time you go online.

Dota 2 suggests items for each hero and tells you how to make them so you don't need to worry much about learning all the item functions for yourself + most items only give passive bonuses so i would focus on the heroes not the items for now.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator

timtadams

Landscape Designer
oh, I've had beta keys for ages now. it's just not my type of game. and my laptop overheats when I try play because I'm running a power hungry early model i7 with compromised heat dissipation.

My bro told me a friend of his paid $40 on steam for the game when still in beta. Which I was extremely surprised to hear.

This was the only thing I saw regarding paying for the game,
games.on.net/2013/06/dota-2-still-isnt-free-but-paid-access-prices-have-been-lowered/

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I think it was properly launched a couple of months ago, before The International. But, yeah, completely free for all mechanical content. The stuff you can buy in-game is purely cosmetic.

Souls

Official Helper
You could pay $30 for early access if you didn't have a beta key.