Can I install BF3 on mac OS?

A

Albertto

Well friends I am interested in playing the BF3 but now my OS is changed , can I play BF3 on mac OS or not ?? any idea please.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
You can boot windows using Bootcamp and play it through that. Although it's not really recommended.

A

Albertto

well thanks for your response, I am going to try it, but while searching for the solution of the problem I also came across the Parallel, using two OS simultaneously. So, do you have any idea about it ?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
well thanks for your response, I am going to try it, but while searching for the solution of the problem I also came across the Parallel, using two OS simultaneously. So, do you have any idea about it ?

running two OS' simultaneously would hog more resources, not a food idea for playing games.
I have some ideas, but I can't research now, so I'll just throw it some idea and you can go from there.

firstly, I dunno **** about Mac OS, except that it's a UNIX derivative. I think lol. So maybe Mac OS can run it natively? If you don't know the answer to this, google it.

If you can't run it natively, can you instal WINE (wine is not an emulator) on Mac OS? If you can, google and see if people have reported on using it to play bf3.

if not, can you instal another OS? I dunno what Macs are like with regard to running other operating systems, but if anything, you should be able to run Linux.

if you discover that WINE can run bf3, I would try instal Linux. It's pretty ****ing, easy. download an iso, and burn it to CD/DVD. or create a bootable memory stick.
Common Linux distributions include Ubuntu (and variants such as Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, which are all good, Lubuntu is nice and lightweight), Fedora, Linux Mint, you get the picture.
All the distros come as live CDs so you can boot the CD and try the OS without actually installing it. of choose you won't be able to instal stuff without installing it.

Now, Linux is clever, so when you try instal it, it week detect that Mac OS is already installed, and will give you the option of installing along side it. DON't TRUST ME ON THAT, I haven't checked, but Fedora and Ubuntu worked fine for me with windows.

You can also try instal Windows, but I bet that will rewrite mbr, and you won't be able to boot Mac OS. although, you could probably instal easy bsd in windows and have it add the Mac OS back to the mbr.

So you should totally do some research into dual booting a Mac. I've got XP, Win7, Lububtu and Fedora all bootable on my laptop lol, but have no experience with macs.

oh yeah, I Linux is free.

let us know what you find out

A

Albertto

So, the whole think is looking so much complicated, to get rid of all these complications I will rather prefer to install and Win7 and enjoy the game. OMG...thanks fro giving your precious time towards my problem.

Steve_God

Official Helper
Easiest option is to dual boot it (excluding simply having two seperate pcs boxes, and dual adapters into all your peripherals)

A

Albertto

There are more complications to use mac and I think the dual OS may affect the life and performance of the SYSTEM. So, better idea would be for me to use Win XP ??

timtadams

Landscape Designer
There are more complications to use mac and I think the dual OS may affect the life and performance of the SYSTEM. So, better idea would be for me to use Win XP ??

No it wont. And Windows 7 would be better than XP.

What is the model of your mac? What OS version is it running? Do you have backup media (eg DVD) for your laptop? Do you have a legit copy of Windows? Windows 7 would be better than Windows XP.

I would just install Windows 7 and forget about an apple OS. Or if not, create a dual boot with Windows 7. If you do decide to install a new OS, or do anything to mess with operating systems, make sure you backup anything you need, and if you dont have backup discs, image your HDD.

A

Albertto

I do have back up media but not expert in doing all these, I have just called a friend to correct all these mess up and you are right I must try Win 7.

Zaheen

BANNED
I play it on my laptop, so if you do install it maybe we can have battle! Not to make any excuses, but a laptop is a little funky, the screen is only 17.3" and my FPS seems to cap at 25-30 with lower settings.

Also I use my bed covers as my mouse mat sometimes, so my aim might be a little dodgy, but if you're any good I will use my Vespula Gaming Mat.

A

Albertto

Hmm , what you play on your laptop? and which OS you have installed in your laptop? I too would like to play with you. But how?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I do have back up media but not expert in doing all these, I have just called a friend to correct all these mess up and you are right I must try Win 7.

Is your backup media a DVD?

You can image your system using Macrium Reflect Free. This creates an image of your laptop HDD which you can save on an external HDD. If you mess up you laptop you can restore the image and have it exactly as it was when you made the image. Even if you wipe the entire HDD.

Let us know if you get it running. Sounds like you are a bit inexperienced in the slightly more technical side computers. But then again, you are running a Mac :p

But yeah, you need to be a lot more specific about your set up if you want help. Like:
Laptop make and model.
Operating system version.
At minimum.
And if asked about backup media, actually mention what exactly it is. Because I still dont know if it is a hidden recovery partion, an OS installation DVD, or just a drivers and utilities CD/DVD. Or if you created it.

More info = easier to help you.

A

Albertto

Yeah I have DVD as my backup media and you are right I am not much versed with these things. These stuffs are just handled by my elder brother who is out of station these days. So, I just decided to do with the laptop and wanted to play BF3 and you know the story..well.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Yeah I have DVD as my backup media and you are right I am not much versed with these things. These stuffs are just handled by my elder brother who is out of station these days. So, I just decided to do with the laptop and wanted to play BF3 and you know the story..well.

I just had a quick google (my google-fu skillz are the shiz) and BF3 will not run on a mac. Also, you will not be able to use WINE to run BF3.

Thus the only option is to use windows on your mac. There are 2 ways you can do this. Running a virtual windows within OSX, or booting into Windows. If you are going to use it play BF3, then you should not split resources running VMWare, and the boot method is the only option.

Hence you need Windows. Preferably windows 7. Or if you dont have it, you could buy an electronic copy of windows 8 for $40. BF3 will not work with XP. It will work on Vista.

Do you have Windows? Maybe you could ask your brother if he knows how you can find a copy of Windows 7.

But, Windows 7 requires Mac OS X v10.7 Lion or Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and the Boot Camp 3.1 Update. (Bootcamp FAQ)

How do I find my operating system (OS) version? (That will tell you OS version, CPU and RAM.) Tell us what it says.
(requirements for windows)

A

Albertto

Okay, at the end of the day the things I need to install windows 7 or 8, I don't have any idea about Bootcamp but there is Mac OS X v10.7 Lion and sure about it. Going to ask about the copy of about the copy of Windows 7 from my bro. Grateful to you.

A

Albertto

Well friends, finally I am happy as I have installed WIN 7 and enjoying the game...and never going to try mac for playing a game, it is much complicated.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Well friends, finally I am happy as I have installed WIN 7 and enjoying the game...and never going to try mac for playing a game, it is much complicated.

Good to hear :)

So you installed Windows 7 on your Mac and it's all working good? Did you have to download drivers? Does wireless work?

A

Albertto

Grateful to you for guiding me, finally I have installed windows 7 and enjoying the game......