• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Alternatives to Gardening (I.e more appealing forms of production)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
then, it sounds like another new game we are wanting. doesn't sound like a 'change' to me. :<

That is, indeed, the problem. The kind of changes which might bring Bushtarion mass appeal are also the kind of changes which might kill it off altogether.

Personally, I'm not sure if it is possible to "save" the game without sacrificing some of its unique quirkiness.

geehaw

Digger
I don't accept the presumption that because it is silly it is hard to sell. I think instead there might be something seriously wrong with the way you guys pitched it. I would never go into the minutia of “...and then you prepare the land...you can choose between grass and flowers...make sure you have enough harvesters...” etc, unless I was trying to recruit my grandma. I think first and foremost I would explain that Bushtarion is great a tick-based war game. The fact that the war is being waged by competing gardening companies is hilarious and shouldn't curb anybody's interest.

As for the name Bushtarion: It used to be a good name, but nowadays it has become so damn esoteric that you would be hard pressed to find any new player who understands it. A good name should 1: be catchy, 2: give a slight indication of what the game is about and/or 3: give some kind of relevant association. 'Bushtarion' lacks all.

1: 'Frogger' is a good name because it is catchy. They almost called it 'Highway Crossing Frog', but didn't because that name sucks.

2: 'Warcraft' is a good name because it tells you its a war game. They could have called it 'Treecraft'...after all, the first thing you do is chop down trees to buy stuff.

3: 'Starcraft' is a good game because you associate it with Warcraft. Bushtarion used to be a good name, but nobody knows what the hell Plan(e)tarion is anymore.

It’s a trite simile, but I believe changing 'bush' into 'oil' etc. is like rearranging the deck chairs of the Hindenburg. This ship is going down and I doubt it is because of the basic premise of having gardening companies at war (or, frankly, the name).

No-Dachi

Official Helper
I don't accept the presumption that because it is silly it is hard to sell. I think instead there might be something seriously wrong with the way you guys pitched it. I would never go into the minutia of “...and then you prepare the land...you can choose between grass and flowers...make sure you have enough harvesters...” etc, unless I was trying to recruit my grandma. I think first and foremost I would explain that Bushtarion is great a tick-based war game. The fact that the war is being waged by competing gardening companies is hilarious and shouldn't curb anybody's interest.

As for the name Bushtarion: It used to be a good name, but nowadays it has become so damn esoteric that you would be hard pressed to find any new player who understands it. A good name should 1: be catchy, 2: give a slight indication of what the game is about and/or 3: give some kind of relevant association. 'Bushtarion' lacks all.

1: 'Frogger' is a good name because it is catchy. They almost called it 'Highway Crossing Frog', but didn't because that name sucks.

2: 'Warcraft' is a good name because it tells you its a war game. They could have called it 'Treecraft'...after all, the first thing you do is chop down trees to buy stuff.

3: 'Starcraft' is a good game because you associate it with Warcraft. Bushtarion used to be a good name, but nobody knows what the hell Plan(e)tarion is anymore.

It’s a trite simile, but I believe changing 'bush' into 'oil' etc. is like rearranging the deck chairs of the Hindenburg. This ship is going down and I doubt it is because of the basic premise of having gardening companies at war (or, frankly, the name).

I totally agree. A more fitting name that emphasizes the warring part of the game would be a good way to start. We could simply use the age name "Turf War" (I think it's this age's name, anyway), or we could come up with something new. But as geehaw said; Bushtarion is outdated, and it does not spike any interest by itself.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
only max really touched on this..... the whole point of the bushtarion game is the farming ... it can be simplified. but to rename it may ruin other aspects. like how come your production sites do better or worse in certain seasons. how in winter there is less sun to plant up and grow so its a good time to start a war or reisitance, lots of things change if you take away the dependancy of the resources on the seasons. then what is the ppoint in even having the seasons. then we get rid of that too and get rid of fantasy bonuses (not a bad idea, not like they need a bonus if they are given a minor all year round buff)

my suggestion would be the closest i can think of is a change to make it seem cooler

grow drugs. opium poppies=flower(herorine), wormwood = tree(absynth), coca=bush(cocain), and grass keep it as it is...aka cannabis, which it clearly always has been

but as im not for the encouragement of drug cartels and gang war, and the wholesale distribution or narcotics. i would rather not rename anything to appear cool. and we dont have to advertise it as a farming game.... we advertise it as a war game. and your resource is land which you steal/buy/defend for more resoures to get money & troops...and in that aspect the game is simple. you dont grow food to feed people. mines for money. gas for special tech etc etc. yopu have one resource agriculture. and one product.. money

Shocker2k

Weeder
Could always put in another weather aspect to the game. You can have severe weather come through your land and destroy a percentage of your crops. With tornadoes, floods, snow storms, ice storms and such. Make certain severe weather destroy a different percentage of your crops, so it is equally damaging for everyone. Not sure if this is on topic but a thought I had. And this could be used with any form of "farming".

Nick

Davs

Garden Designer
Could always put in another weather aspect to the game. You can have severe weather come through your land and destroy a percentage of your crops. With tornadoes, floods, snow storms, ice storms and such. Make certain severe weather destroy a different percentage of your crops, so it is equally damaging for everyone. Not sure if this is on topic but a thought I had. And this could be used with any form of "farming".

Nick

The weather, though personally a feature which I like (in spite of how infuriating it can be at times) is obviously one of the major barriers to new players (as I say, even I find it infuriating, imagine how someone brand new to the whole idea of the game must find it).

Your idea of creating horrific weather extremes that not only screw over your ability to plant, but actually damage your land as well would drive away even more people.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
Have 4 differnet resources collected, ore,coal,oil+lumber which is equivalent to the seeds collected then you then turn these resources into steel goods,power,fuel+wooden goods. 2 differnt troops blue collar+white collar. Blue collar collect resources white collar workrs turn resources into more value goods to sell. then just change any other inn that match jobs down diff routes.

But personally icant see why a change is needed I like growing my own bush

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator

Nick

I suggested this quite a long time ago, and was shot down pretty quickly.