Age of Empires II

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
If anyone's interested I've made a scenario based on a normal game, but instead it's with heroes instead of normal units. Each civilization has its own basic heroes (Charlemagne, Scythian Scout etc.) apart from Aztecs and mayans which don't get horses. You use your 'Shah' unit (a hero king) to buy things with that are available in different ages with different things built. You can create units at any of the locations on the map. It's also got a regicide-type twist meaning if you lose your Shah then you die :)

Very similar to the Jedi battle-type in the Star Wars version of AoE, then?
That was so cool. Too bad it never got supported again once MSN Games dropped it.

Elevnos

BANNED
If anyone's interested I've made a scenario based on a normal game, but instead it's with heroes instead of normal units. Each civilization has its own basic heroes (Charlemagne, Scythian Scout etc.) apart from Aztecs and mayans which don't get horses. You use your 'Shah' unit (a hero king) to buy things with that are available in different ages with different things built. You can create units at any of the locations on the map. It's also got a regicide-type twist meaning if you lose your Shah then you die :)

Very similar to the Jedi battle-type in the Star Wars version of AoE, then?
That was so cool. Too bad it never got supported again once MSN Games dropped it.

Oh ok, well if you want to see it or go on it just mention :) it's still going to need a bit of balancing first with prices and all that but is all working according to plan (mostly).

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I've just got the crack for AOE2 and AOC working and running - So up for any games should people be around for it!

Elevnos

BANNED
I'm up for a game every now and then when I get my internet sorted, I usually just let the AIs that I make do all the work now xD

Also, if you're interested: New expansion.

That's an expansion for the Conquerors, five new civs and lots of new techs and stuff, it's quite cool and doesn't even interfere with your normal AoC. Check it out!

Elevnos

BANNED
It's got an installer and stuff and should be getting updated quite soon I think, completely free! Great fun, too! ;)

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I'm up for a game every now and then when I get my internet sorted, I usually just let the AIs that I make do all the work now xD

Also, if you're interested: New expansion.

That's an expansion for the Conquerors, five new civs and lots of new techs and stuff, it's quite cool and doesn't even interfere with your normal AoC. Check it out!

That looks amazing!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
You guys need to idle on #AoC

Tis the only way we're gonna know when people are free for a game :p

And I installed the new expansion, yet to play it though.

[edit] I'm not supposed to promote torrent sites but tevs, the game is older than most of our playerbase these days. The whole game is under 200mb and is available on The Pirate Bay.

http://tpb.piraten.lu/

Also:

Repeating what's already been said. If you experience problems with colors in windows 7 you must stop explorer.exe, run the game, and afterwards restart explorer.

Simple fix:
Open notepad and enter the following:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
empires2.exe
explorer.exe

Save the file as .bat (e.g. AgeOfEmpires.bat). Now, just use this as your shortcut to start the game. (Tip: If the new file opens as a text document make sure that file endngs are really visible ;) )

While the game is running windows wil not work perfectly (e.g your start menu will not be visible) but don't panic. When you quit the game things will return to normal. If things don't return to normal open task manager and start a new process, just type: explorer.exe

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
With the UserPatch (which is used in the AoFE expansion) I think it fixes it automatically

CONFIRMED!

Also there are additional screen res options! Including 1600x900!

Woop!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
[21:15] <DA> It looks better than most normal mods tbh, the new screens look like graphics have been improved by a reasonable amount
[21:15] <DA> http://www.forgottenempires.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Italians_preview.png
[21:15] <DA> that looks a fair bit sharper than we're used to
[21:15] <DA> If you squint your eyes it looks a bit like Skyrim

-

Some critical acclaim from the #AoC veterans channel.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Installed and loads fine, I've not tried playing a game though. As of April I'll have a bit more free time. Find me on Facebook and then pop me a PM if something is going on.

My favourite game of all time, would be good to have some games at some point. Stevey, Dachi and maybe Dax have my mobile number too, I don't mind being texted etc.

Just can't do anything until April... /me counts down the days of his notice period at work...