Bush has changed

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
Been a few rounds since I last played, then it was all about getting and holding land. Now its totally different its all about smashing guys up who are a little bit smaller. Anyone else noticed this?

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I disagree before it was about smashing guys as a consequence of nicking land, now its mostly smashing up then others nick the land.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
well that's because it's more efficient that way. Steal more land for more people. It's called team playing ;)

aGit

Harvester
blame bounty and insurance. atm is quite easy to attack around without taking a whole lot of damage and infact making profit by only smashing peoples skulls in

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
blame bounty and insurance. atm is quite easy to attack around without taking a whole lot of damage and infact making profit by only smashing peoples skulls in

Aye, I don't know how I feel about making profit on attacks that you obtain free land on. I love profitable land, but it just seems a bit weird to not have to lose anything in battle, indeed gaining large sums in some cases.

Steve_God

Official Helper
I spose it's just how the game has developed over time really...

Originally the aim of the game was as a business owner, to make as much money as possible (and become as big as possible) by having the most land, and the troops were only there as a deterrent from others stealing your land, and in order to deter others from defending against your attacks...

Nowadays (as a few people this round have shown) is it possible to not even have any more than a few 100 land in order to do well - you can purely bribe, clone or convert your way to a large score.

I've personally always been a fan of making land the primary objective in the game, however it does seem that the playerbase are tending to prefer the actual killing of others more so than actually gaining land.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Originally the aim of the game was as a business owner, to make as much money as possible (and become as big as possible) by having the most land, and the troops were only there as a deterrent from others stealing your land, and in order to deter others from defending against your attacks...

Nowadays (as a few people this round have shown) is it possible to not even have any more than a few 100 land in order to do well - you can purely bribe, clone or convert your way to a large score.

I've personally always been a fan of making land the primary objective in the game, however it does seem that the playerbase are tending to prefer the actual killing of others more so than actually gaining land.
Yeah and have you noticed how next they come here to whine of how much activity is needed and how people die too easy etc... hehe...

There was time when alliances spent all their troops even on suicides to stop landlosses.

Dafydd

Pruner
Games are fluid in nature, they always will be. Take, for example, Fifa (the football game). Each one is different, as it evolves from one to the next, it cannot remain stagnant or it would lose interest from those playing it.

Every game is the same, Fable 1 to Fable 2, Civ 1 through to Civ 4, essentially it is the same, but with differences which will make it a new experience to those who have not followed the game through it's evolution.

Bush is no different, an as each round progresses, the game will change, and adapt. Soemtimes this will happen mid round, with balanacing issues etc. Its just one of thos things, the game is fluid and will change, the people will change but from my experience, there will almost always be the following complaints;

- The game has changed and was good in the 'old days
- The people on top are (insert here either power blockers, score queens, cheats etc)
- The game doesn't look after the little guy
- I got zeroed and now I'm quitting
- I have found something wrong with the game, heres how to fix it.

The changes are made, then repeat from the top.

Amanala

Harvester
Hey hey! Ho ho! Please maintain the status quo! You know why geology is so boring? Because rocks never ****ing change. They just sit there and accumulate moss. And why don't people ride penny-farthings anymore? Because we've figured out better bikes. I don't know about you, but if Bush. was still the same as it was, back when I first played -- well hell, I wouldn't have bothered coming back. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side. Personally I think a heavy dose of nostalgia is consistent with crazy-talk!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Hey hey! Ho ho! Please maintain the status quo! You know why geology is so boring? Because rocks never ****ing change. They just sit there and accumulate moss.

Sorry, but I had to point out that this isn't very accurate. Rocks do change. Metamorphic rocks start out being sedimentary rocks like sandstone, or igneous rocks, but under intense heat and pressure they get sqooshed down and their structures change and they transform into metamorphic rocks, such as slate.

I personally find geology quite interesting :p

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Bush has changed and it kinda sucks. Currently out alliance has a land cap so we dont get ****ed over by PB. All i wanna do is whore land, but no.

I agree with the suggestion that land should not count towards score. And bring back injuries for all units. And reduce bounty, significantly.

Why the heck not. I mean would it make much of a difference compared to all the unit changes? ofc, im just making a point :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We'll be testing the old "no land score" stuff with the age 2 code soon.

But if you think Bush sucks to how it used to be;
www.bushtarion.com/age_2/
Check it out and see for yourself :p
Register a new account for age 2. The database/code is entirely seperate from age 5 so you can use the same email addy for your age 2 account. No ticks or anything atm and probably bugs here or there.

Join the #age_2 channel in IRC to discuss it with others.

I'll make an official announcement tomorrow about tick start and what the purpose of the Age 2 test will be (in short it'll be to see what features and mechanics of age 2 were good and could be considered again... and which ones simply no longer work with the way people play the game these days... eg no land score etc. does the way players play the game these days simply make it a distant memory that has no feasability anymore - part psychological experiment, part mechanic experiment!).

timtadams

Landscape Designer
We'll be testing the old "no land score" stuff with the age 2 code soon.

But if you think Bush sucks to how it used to be;
www.bushtarion.com/age_2/
Check it out and see for yourself :p
Register a new account for age 2. The database/code is entirely seperate from age 5 so you can use the same email addy for your age 2 account. No ticks or anything atm and probably bugs here or there.

Join the #age_2 channel in IRC to discuss it with others.

I'll make an official announcement tomorrow about tick start and what the purpose of the Age 2 test will be (in short it'll be to see what features and mechanics of age 2 were good and could be considered again... and which ones simply no longer work with the way people play the game these days... eg no land score etc. does the way players play the game these days simply make it a distant memory that has no feasability anymore - part psychological experiment, part mechanic experiment!).

Nice work Azzer :)

Kingdroid

Head Gardener

Problem is, some people DO try to land whore, but then you get an ally where 4 guys just send at him, and steal about half his land and kill a shitload of his troops.

Rowan

Harvester

Problem is, some people DO try to land whore, but then you get an ally where 4 guys just send at him, and steal about half his land and kill a shitload of his troops.

Then defend. No one is gonna keep going on an attack where they will take much heavier losses than the land is worth.

Whore land all you want. Better to have an acre for one tick than not have it, surely?