Bush World Cup 2009 - Discussion

Ahead

Head Gardener
I agree with most of BW's points tbh. There seems to be a lot of contradiction going on and if this is to be a proper "World Cup" it should be done properly with more organisation than this (also I agree with the high levels on input from Azzer with spectators being able to see what is going on etc).

Originally it seemed like a good idea, but DA, are you now saying that you want to:
"portal" the winning country each year, eternalizing the winning country and their players
for a
a "FOR THE FUN" - "SEMI-SERIOUS" PW, that I've named "Bushtarion World Cup", based on the fact that each team will represent a country.

It just doesn't seem like the real deal anymore. Although I think BW is taking it a tad too far with the name difference I can see that if you call this one the "Bushtarion World Cup" and then do it "for the fun", semi-casually, it would tarnish the reputability of previous one (which although I wasn't around to see/participate in, I can see BW holds a lot of pride for his country winning it).

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Thank you Ahead, even we disagree most of the time its nice to see how someone agrees with my opinion for a while :p

I understand your point very well... I dont mind if it would be called bush WC or anything else. I mind mainly the idea it gives to people of what it is. If it would be made sure that bush WC is not really bush WC just nice funny PW.. hell yes I am for it! I would join this second. Also in that case I wouldnt really mind who joins what team and how we/they play it.

To what I see is that word WC is giving it position above all normal PWs even with countries playing... and thats the problem here.

Rowan

Harvester
Interestingly, I also agree with BlackWolf for the most part..

It's really a name issue.. If it's "just for fun" then the term "World Cup" isn't really appropriate, since there's already been an official Bush World Cup..

That'd be like having "The Superbowl" advertised around town but it was actually two teams of retarded midgets playing badminton.

Honestly, it's as simple as calling it "Bushtarion: World Series" or anything other than the name of a previous official event.

You also have to realise Finnish people are VERY patriotic, (Not to say no one else is, but in my experience people from Finland take their national pride very seriously) and BW doesn't want to give any less than his all when representing his country in what could be talked about years later as "that time Finland got friggin' pwned in the World Cup" when people should really be remembering the official WC that they won.

At least that's my take on it. I'll still play, but now I see this isn't going to be the serious-biznizz sort of playing I was hoping for -- Which is fine, it's just good to know beforehand.

timthetyrant

Head Gardener
as this is a "world cup" shouldnt ppl be drug tested?, if little timmy looks up to the world cup players, and percieves them as role models, and then these role models are using drugs, this'll give him the wrong impression and little timmy might find himself trying to use marijuana to improve his bushy skills.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Interestingly, I also agree with BlackWolf for the most part..

It's really a name issue.. If it's "just for fun" then the term "World Cup" isn't really appropriate, since there's already been an official Bush World Cup..

That'd be like having "The Superbowl" advertised around town but it was actually two teams of retarded midgets playing badminton.

Honestly, it's as simple as calling it "Bushtarion: World Series" or anything other than the name of a previous official event.

You also have to realise Finnish people are VERY patriotic, (Not to say no one else is, but in my experience people from Finland take their national pride very seriously) and BW doesn't want to give any less than his all when representing his country in what could be talked about years later as "that time Finland got friggin' pwned in the World Cup" when people should really be remembering the official WC that they won.

At least that's my take on it. I'll still play, but now I see this isn't going to be the serious-biznizz sort of playing I was hoping for -- Which is fine, it's just good to know beforehand.

A World Cup in all sports is held every x years. The last World Cup was held x years ago, time for this World Cup!

timthetyrant

Head Gardener
is that "x" meant to be in roman numerals? was there a bushtarion world cup help in 1999?

Matt

Harvester
Personally i would go with the Proper Ruling of World Cup and my reasoning for this is, some people may live in other countrys from where they were originally born, but this dont not mean they should not be allowed to represent there true country.

for example, The premiership has players like, Fabregas, Torres, Ballack, Drogba, Berbatov all residing in England but playing for the home land. Proper World Cup Rules.

/me expects being shot down for my opinion,

Obviously that would be awesome in theory, but it doesn't work for 2 reasons:
1. How are you going to prove that you originate from country A? Going to make people scan their ID-cards?
2. A massive problem would occur with timezones, with countries with many emigrants having round-the-clock cover.

i dont see the issue with around the clock cover if that person originates from that country, that is like telling Robinho he cant play for brazil because hes living in a +1 GMT n his home country is -3 GMT. if it is going to be an offical World Cup and teams are based on peoples nationality. If it isnt going to be based on peoples nationality then maybe it should be called the TimeZones Cup since you only qualify for that country because you in that timezone.

I have a friend playing bush who's Polish, but living in Ireland does this mean he cannot play for Poland????

lavadog

Head Gardener
That's because Brazil doesn't have an advantage if robinho plays a couple of timezones away, while in this case you clearly have. By your logic, the nation players should all meet up somewhere and play in the same room, because that is what national football teams do.

Ahead

Head Gardener
Rofl. Bush is completely different to football ffs, you can't use that analogy.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Personally i would go with the Proper Ruling of World Cup and my reasoning for this is, some people may live in other countrys from where they were originally born, but this dont not mean they should not be allowed to represent there true country.

for example, The premiership has players like, Fabregas, Torres, Ballack, Drogba, Berbatov all residing in England but playing for the home land. Proper World Cup Rules.

/me expects being shot down for my opinion,

Obviously that would be awesome in theory, but it doesn't work for 2 reasons:
1. How are you going to prove that you originate from country A? Going to make people scan their ID-cards?
2. A massive problem would occur with timezones, with countries with many emigrants having round-the-clock cover.

i dont see the issue with around the clock cover if that person originates from that country, that is like telling Robinho he cant play for brazil because hes living in a +1 GMT n his home country is -3 GMT. if it is going to be an offical World Cup and teams are based on peoples nationality. If it isnt going to be based on peoples nationality then maybe it should be called the TimeZones Cup since you only qualify for that country because you in that timezone.

I have a friend playing bush who's Polish, but living in Ireland does this mean he cannot play for Poland????

if there is a more than 1 timezone difference, than no he shouldn't be able to play.

Stop bringing absurd World Cup analogies into this. You should be playing by the country in which you reside, if you can't get together 10 player then absolutely tough ****. No bending of the rules, no extra players, no alternate timezones, no 'born in that country' bullshit. You live in that timezone, you play for that country. That's ****ing it.

If you really don't see the issue with having 'round the clock cover' then i'm not sure we're playing the same game here. This game is about 85% activity and having someone online refreshing to be able to prank your members to get online is a massive siberian sized advantage.

How is it even remotely fair to give teams that cannot get the requisite number of a players a *massive* advantage in having different timezone coverage? Do you really not see how that unbalances the teams and gives some teams a massive benefit over others? For the last time, this is a BUSHTARION world cup, not a FOOTBALL WORLD CUP. Now, can we drop the bloody stupid analogies, and work with the previous 'country in which you reside' rule? Thanks.

EDIT: Pardon my violent and angry outburst, but this discussion is ridiculous, and this comparative notion has got to be put to rest once and for all; and heaven knows violence solves all problems ;)

Last edited:

septimus

Harvester
Im sorry I just started reading this thread even though I already applied, and Im at work, and it's 11 pages long, I imagine by the last few pages alot of issues were resolved, but I saw like Alci saying there aren't too many active Canadians, and someone else mentioning South America, maybe in future WC(s) you could do US and then another team of "Americas not US" that would be Canada, Central America, and South America?

And in regards to the English wanting to have more teams to ackonwledge the fact that most players come from there, maybe they could do their own PW before the WC in which they break teams down by geographic region in England like they said? Like North, South, East, West, or whatever there idea was, whichever team wins that would represent England?

Anyway, just thoughts for the future since this one is past the planning stage it appears. Sorry if others already said that.

Matt

Harvester
Alci the country i reside in could fill 3 teams never mind one i couldnt care less about night cover or not to be honest. infact i know for a fact that the english team will be full up of english players without have to get players from abroad to play.

But i want to play for pride for my country, so id want my team to be full of English players that are playing for the same reason. i dont understand why your getting all aggressive over timezones.

if a person is from the country but doesnt live there at the moment they are not allowed to play with pride for the nationality!

i lost interest in you post after the first paragraph as its utter BS and you repeat yourself again and again just rewording it slightly.

I have to agree with BW on this its should be about national pride

Asmodeous

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Simple solutions really.

1. Don't like the name? Book your own PW.
2. Don't like the team requirements? Book your own PW.
3. Don't like the rules of the PW? Book your own PW.

FFS, it's just a game, not a life altering event. If you don't like something about it then just don't participate and stop ruining it for the ones that do want to with your whines and complaints.. IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Okay this paragraph goes first because if it's the only one you read of this post it's the most important one:

My point applies to those people who are living several timezones away who wish to play for their 'home country'. If you're from the UK, and living in New Zealand or Australia/HOngKong/Nepal it's just not fair to the rest of the players if you play for the UK. I'm sorry if some people think that's a raw deal, but that's just the way it is according to the rules previously established earlier in this thread.

I have no problems with playing for national pride, that didn't even enter into my post. By all means, since this is a nationally based PW then you *should* be proud of your country.

My point didn't have much to do with the english teams, since as we all know they have enough applicants to fill their team many times over. That's why a captain is to be appointed to pick the team that they feel will serve their country best (or at least that's the hope).

I can't help it if your attention span can't run the length of 3 paragraphs but my point is 'far from BS' although I may be guilty of reiterating myself so as to make sure my point was driven home.

Last edited:

Matt

Harvester
but again your still denying someone their national pride. you are taking an extreme timezone gap, and not once did you even touch on the last part of my thread which gave an actual bush example.

Which was a friend is in Ireland but he is polish! is he not allowed to play for the polish team??

they both share the same timezone, so there is no advantage either way.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
but again your still denying someone their national pride. you are taking an extreme timezone gap, and not once did you even touch on the last part of my thread which gave an actual bush example.

Which was a friend is in Ireland but he is polish! is he not allowed to play for the polish team??

they both share the same timezone, so there is no advantage either way.

I did address it at the top of my first post today. You must have missed it.

if there is a more than 1 timezone difference, than no he shouldn't be able to play.

I didn't feel it necessary to write the corollary to that phrase being that "If Poland/Ireland are in the same timezone, then i haven't really got an objection" but i guess it was necessary.

I only used extreme examples because it had been brought up earlier in the thread. As i mentioned several times in my posts do suggest and support that players living within +1 or -1 of their 'home' timezone, are allowed to play for their national teams since that won't make a big difference in the gameplay. Anything further than that starts to become very unbalanced.

Having resolved that issue, i'm sure we can profitably move on now.

Matthew

BANNED
DA touches children.

Moderated by Pinpower
Reason: Spam/Off topic - Hopefully some conclusions can be reached in this thread so i think we should try and keep it tidy :)

[edit by DA] not to mention I most certainly do not touch children :/

Last edited by a moderator:

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I'm pretty sure Poland and Ireland are not in the same timezone. One is in the far West of Europe, and the other is in Eastern Europe. If I had to guess I'd say there's at least 2 hours difference.

Plus I doubt it matters, since Poland couldn't fill a team of their own anyway.

And Alci is right. It would be absurd for people to play for countries with a different timezone to the one they are residing in. It would give that country a massive advantage in terms of covering different times. If the England team want nightcover then that relies on one or more of the team staying up all night and doing it. However, if there is someone living in Australia in the England team, then he can do it for us without any trouble, and without anyone having to **** up their sleeping pattern.

Matt

Harvester
sorry alci i did miss the bit right at the top, or more i didnt think it was related to my last bit of the post.

also i do believe ireland and poland are on the same timezone as it stands becuase the uk has entered BST poland are +1 GMT i believe.
althou this is irrelevant.