• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Changes to the weather for new IDs

Yang

Harvester
I know you can't post suggestions about the weather etc. in suggestion but if you want to start a new ID when the game is in the winter this is greatly disadvantageous as there is little you can do because of planting losses.

1/4 of the game period lapses over winter and if you are new to the game and want to try out, you will lose interest as there is little you can do.

So I think for new IDs when they first enter the game they should receive a like 48 hour "greenhouse protection" in which all their plants/seeds grow/harvest at the rate of which it should during the sun.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
At such a low rank, it doesn't *really* matter when you plant.. If you restart then it's a risk/penalty you'll have to take. For new players, it won't matter too much as they'll soon learn that they get more in sunny weather.
I vote noes!

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Hmm, I actually like the idea, maybe connected to the "tutor"option which is implemented now as far as I understand?

48 hours are a bit much, but maybe 12 hours or 250 acres, whatever comes first?

MiLK

Weeder
I just restarted in winter. Oops. :)

Its annoying, and means development is a bit slower, but I dont think it needs changing.

callum828

Planter
I like it. Late starters already get cash and dev cost bonuses, I'm sure not losing all of their seeds to the snow would help player retention.

JJbrosandjl

Harvester
Very good suggestion. So many of players I have introduced to this game have been turned off by the weather. Sometimes I even avoid inviting new players when it's winter :/

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
I quite like this idea!!

The weather isn't a massive factor at such an early stage! But what about round start? Often it can be cloudy in first few hours...Same thing here?

Or say when dev multiplyer hits 1, everyone that restarts/joins gets the "good weather" in Winter?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I do think this would be a good idea.

I remember a couple of weeks ago a new player joined #bushtarion (who had just made an ID) and was asking about the weather and when he was told it was winter and might last for a few days he seemed really off put. He was ready to quit and come back in a week or so and start then...

I cant see the harm in it tbh, just for new IDs...

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I ignore every good suggestion and only ever implement all the bad ones. Anyway bitterness, sarcasm, and pessimistic glass-half-empty people aside for a moment, and on to the topic...

Is this not going to encourage people to sign up new accounts at the start of every round, to give the absolute best chances of good starts? Or for people to create whole new accounts if they want to restart their ID? Obviously most vets/old-timers will be put off for two reasons - 1 losing their ID/account history, 2 not wanting to risk losing their accounts to multi locks, but there's a whole wealth of players out there that will jump at any opportunity to get an advantage at every and any turn.

callum828

Planter
Yes, I ignore every good suggestion and only ever implement all the bad ones. Anyway bitterness, sarcasm, and pessimistic glass-half-empty people aside for a moment, and on to the topic...

Is this not going to encourage people to sign up new accounts at the start of every round, to give the absolute best chances of good starts? Or for people to create whole new accounts if they want to restart their ID? Obviously most vets/old-timers will be put off for two reasons - 1 losing their ID/account history, 2 not wanting to risk losing their accounts to multi locks, but there's a whole wealth of players out there that will jump at any opportunity to get an advantage at every and any turn.

True dat.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I would have thought you could just make it so the weather is good for X amount of ticks for all new IDs, rather than accounts. So yes it "helps" older players as much as new ones but i cant see the harm in anyone getting sunny ticks for the first 24 hours of a restart 3 weeks into the round or something?

Then it would solve the problem of people starting whole new accounts...

Steve_God

Official Helper
"Your Farm is currently enclosed in a 'Govenment Start-up Initiative' Greenhouse, that will give you immunity to the weather for one week."

Make it not start until a fair few weeks into the round...
Could work?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I'd say a week is a bit far...maybe 1-3 days IMO. Especially as later into the round you get the extra troops/start up cash to help you on your way.

But i like your wording!!! ;)

f0xx

Landscape Designer

So defensive... you know there are ways to prevent this abuse.