The Bobwo V2.0

Bobbin

Head Gardener
No. Not doing any further development on it.
For three reasons
1) I don't have a computer.
2) I don't have the time.
3) Trying to distance myself from internet type stuff (except facebook) as much as poss.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Bobbino, when you have time and you check this thread could you reveal us all your mathematics as your calculations are most accurate in game and in case bobwo will not get developed anymore I think someone could use your calculations to keep free stuff like this up.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
its quite possible to grab all his calculations off his website :p If Bobwo ever goes down I have already stolen all his calculations

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Well unlike you, I rather ask nicely than go to do something like that.

Bobbin is very decent guy after all and he can very well understand what I ask and why so instead of "stealing" I am sure we can get those calcs without need for that.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
Dear lord blackwolf can you not understand a pun?

I didnt actually steal it! I merely copied his code onto my server if Bobwo Should ever go down I would have some code to replace it with with little to no effort.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Lets keep it friendly guys.

Im fairly certain Bobbin hasnt copyrighted his program and as he gives it out free i strongly doubt he would be worried about somebody using his code.
x

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Assuming I understand copyright law correctly, Bobbin's work is copyrighted. However, copyright only covers the way something is displayed/expressed, not the actual information so using his values in no way violates the copyright.

Copying his code however, would break copyright. But seeing as the code is PHP, which is a server side script, it wouldn't be possible to steal said code without hacking into the server.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
your wrong on two points there polo. Code is free form information if i take it with no intention to use it while the copyright is still in place (while the owner still operates the code) I am not breaking copyright

Also Php is not entirely or even mainly server side in Bobbins calculations (though in some cases the code would be).

Edit: Just want to clarify my point here I still need values to accompany the need code but Those are easy enough to get :).

Last edited:

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
your wrong on two points there polo. Code is free form information if i take it with no intention to use it while the copyright is still in place (while the owner still operates the code) I am not breaking copyright

Also Php is not entirely or even mainly server side in Bobbins calculations (though in some cases the code would be).

Edit: Just want to clarify my point here I still need values to accompany the need code but Those are easy enough to get :).

Copyright lasts for the life of the creator of the work + 70 years (in the UK). Are you going to wait that long? :p

PHP is entirely server side. The only code you can "copy" from Bobbin's server is the HTML code that is displayed. And stealing/using this HTML is rather pointless because, firstly, it isn't even valid HTML and secondly, it would take someone hardly any time to write similar, copyright free, HTML.

Tim

Harvester
Assuming I understand copyright law correctly, Bobbin's work is copyrighted. However, copyright only covers the way something is displayed/expressed, not the actual information so using his values in no way violates the copyright.

Copying his code however, would break copyright. But seeing as the code is PHP, which is a server side script, it wouldn't be possible to steal said code without hacking into the server.

Yep - copyright only covers original work and not actual "facts", however it does also cover the way in which facts are presented.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I wish not prolongue this conversation any firther but I know my fair share of EU and its copyright laws and must say that in thi case I wouldnt bet my moneys on flameharvester.

Thats why I would rather get all these latest posts deleted and allow bobbin to respond himself than continue anything like this.

I apologise (see Nm I think I got it right? ;) ) for this off topic stuff I brought to this thread by simply asking of such simple thing.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Actually, taking something without permission would come under the computer misuse act, and would be classified as theft. Not related to copyright, just related to plain old fashioned robbery! If somebody does not intend you to do something, and you do it anyway, then the computer misuse act covers it! Regardless, this isn't the thread for this.

And the original maths involved are actually mine ;)

And the code, the HTML, the layout, and the design on Bobwo is Bobbin's.

I'm sure if somebody asked Bobbin nicely if they could host his code, or copy it and expand on it in the future, as long as they credited him for his work, he would be willing to offer at least some help/guidelines (eg the maths functioned involved in the calcs), in light of him now intending to disappear from the internet in general and not to continue hosting/developing Bobwo himself.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I am fairly sure that anyone making a tool after Bobbinos help would feel too oblicated to at least record his name in it.

That is actually the original idea why I even asked. I apreciate what Bobbin has done so far that I dont think it should stop here. I also know that Bobbin is such a decent guy that he will find a way to give us his code or to let us know how it all is done or some other way to keep bobwo alive.