• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Gardeners working differently

DR4545

Pruner
Gardeners are now first taking care of grown seeds, and second taking care of planting the plants.

I think it should go the original order:

• 1) Plant plants
    2) Grow Seeds, starting with Tree then Bush then Flower then Grass

Right now if you want to command your gardeners to work with more than they can (for example if you want to go afk) you will wind up with unplanted acres until they are finished with the seeds.

(Or if you're like me and are lazy and making mistakes you'll get stuck with unplanted acres.)

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Re: Gardeners working differently

Actually, what you're saying is not completely true.

Currently it goes like that:

1. plant tree plants
2. grow tree seeds
-
3. plant bush plants
4. grow bush seeds
-
5. plant flower plants
6. grow flower seeds
-
7. plant grass plants
8. grow grass seeds

And I think it is made this way for a purpose, I find it quite smart too.

DR4545

Pruner

1. plant tree plants
2. grow tree seeds (No problems so far ... perfect if you only have Tree acres)
-
3. plant bush plants (Only if you have gards available after growing Tree seeds, otherwise unplanted acres)
4. grow bush seeds
-
5. plant flower plants (Only if you have gards available after growing Bush seeds, otherwise unplanted acres)
6. grow flower seeds
-
7. plant grass plants (Only if you have gards available after growing Flower seeds, otherwise unplanted acres)
8. grow grass seeds

-
So, the problem of leaving unplanted acres is there. Who cares about growing Tree seeds if that's going to leave your other acres unplanted?

It hardly takes any gards at all to fill acres, compared to growing seeds. (For example you need 360 plants to fill a Bush acre, which produces 2,000 seeds per tick.) It would be more beneficial for them to fill ALL unplanted acres first, then move to growing seeds.

rooney

Head Gardener

i agree with dr4545 but it seems f0xx has spotted a benefit to the current system that i must have missed. if this is the case then can u point it out f0xx?

f0xx

Landscape Designer

It helps people create different starting strategies, which is a good thing. If you don't know what I am talking about, then I am not going to tell you, but it is a good thing, besides if you don't have enough gards, buy them? I see no problem here.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

if you bother planting flower and grass at round start there is much more therapy and help you need then explaning the beauty of how gardeners work.

if you have no tree and just bush then it defaults to bush.

if you spend all your money in 1 tick for just land and didn't check your harvs/gards, that's your fault for not thinking ahead NOT cause for a game change.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon

I agree with the suggestion, thought before planting the few plants it's a priority to planting the usually much higher number of seeds. We can keep the tricky system no problem, but i think that change might be good :p

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

It's an important life lesson not to overwork your members of staff.

Steve_God

Official Helper

Indeed... it makes more sense for the gardeners to stay in the field they're working in and harvest the tree seeds after planting more trees, rather than to go backwards and forwards between the different types of fields several times a tick ;)

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

f0xx said:
It helps people create different starting strategies, which is a good thing. If you don't know what I am talking about, then I am not going to tell you, but it is a good thing, besides if you don't have enough gards, buy them? I see no problem here.

Agreed 100%

( ofc I learned to start from f0xx so I might be biased ) :)

Kali

Weeder

My gardeners seem to be sleeping all day long

Lupus

Head Gardener

lol once again f0xx pwns everyone, :twisted:

DR4545

Pruner

f0xx said:
Different starting strategies? I don't know of any starting strategies where you buy acres, then leave them unfilled.

You can make the same argument for buying enough gards if all the acre types fill first. Also, you may not want to buy any more gardeners so you have money for techs or LETs. Or ... you may not have enough funds to buy all the gards?

Nobody EVER wants to leave unfilled acres for the sake of getting more seeds grown. (If you do, you bought too many acres.)
DR4545 said:
It hardly takes any gards at all to fill acres, compared to growing seeds. (For example you need 360 plants to fill a Bush acre, which produces 2,000 seeds per tick.)
All this change does is force players to not go AFK and to be careful of the exact number of seeds they grow any time they want to fill acres to ensure they don't leave bush, flower or grass unfilled. I doubt I'm the only player to "queue" gardeners to work the next tick. (An example: at Early Hours grow twice the number of seeds your gards can so they grow them through the morning tick. Then, go afk like you have a life and return viola with all your seeds grown without having to waste money on otherwise unnecessary gards.) This situation can typically come up if most of your gards are out attacking (especially if the sun comes unexpected like during winter). I don't like being forced to be at my keyboard every ten minutes to do such a mundane task as growing seeds.

Whether gards work the old way or the new way will not hurt the mechanics of the game. When they work the new way, they are simply less accommodating for the human playing the game. If this change does nothing to improve the game mechanics but makes the most basic part of the game more of a pain to deal with, why keep the change?

f0xx

Landscape Designer

DR4545 said:
Or ... you may not have enough funds to buy all the gards?

And that is why it gives opportinities to create different starting tactics. You ask yourself - Do I buy gardeners? Do I buy harvesters? Do I grow seeds (if I do some of my acres might be left unfilled). Do I plant plants and if I do which type should I plant? And those are questions which everyone faces and the way one deals with those questions determines how good is one at the start.

Because the system works differenty it makes players use their brains to twist it in a way that can help them while it hinders the others at the same time.

Not to mention that you can ALWAYS calculate how much your gardeners work during night, so you basicly know how much to grow not to overload them. If you are lazy to do it, then this is your own problem.

It's all the little things like that which make the difference at the start. The simple player chooses to ignore them and then he wonders how the guy at rank 1 has so much acres while they had spent exactly the same amount of time playing the game. That is the beauty of the start, it is pure skill. No activity, no random factors.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I think it's been "deal with trees, then bush, then flowers, then grass" since Age 3 started (I seem to recall it being part of the mad ticker optimisations that took place when Age 3 came round). Before that it was "deal with all planting in order, then deal with all seeds in order". I kinda like it how it is because it makes you think a bit more about what you're doing, and like Steve God says, it makes sense the way it is too :p You gotta be careful trying to grow all your tree and Bush seeds, if you're trying to fill up your empty flower & grass land... pay attention to what you're doing if you don't have enough gardeners/tractors :D