Killing The Game

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
now.

If I could get killed more often and actually then gain by it to go and bounty hunt R1 -- mass mob me baby!!

If dying was profitable, this game would be retarded. Dying should not be "rewarded". You should not be coddled, or hugged by the game. When you die, you should die properly. That would have the benefit of dropping you out of range for a good while, giving you the satisfaction of a total rebuild (which is fun btw), and letting you enjoy a few days out of range of people who can wreck you (which benefits in a rest from an activity intense game). There was a lot to be said for the time when there was no insurance; and there was no warm blankie to swaddle players when they got killed. If you didn't keep some reserve funds around, you had to sell seeds to get started again; etc etc. The "good old days" were considerably harder on the playerbase than they are now and the only difference is number of players. The lack of targets, and the continuous need to hit targets over and over (due to the lack of players) along with activity, and cliff face like learning curve are what contribute to players quitting. It has nothing to do with range.[/QUOTE]

WOA WOA I didnt say crap about wanting to be coddled or rewarded and it certainly wasn't me you heard whining about being killed in this round or the other two previous where I died repeatedly while yelling ooohrah.. and those were the times I didn't kill myself for a BR... and like 5 cents a gallon for gasoline the good old days are gone .. so if a bounty or insurance increase was in place given the ever shrinking playerbase here.. it would make building back up easier so the big guys can squash me like a bug again happen that much faster...noobs (Like me) could learn to scale that cliff face curve quicker too, sounds like a win win to me ... hell I might even change my style and bash people if I knew it didn't completely ruin their game for a week and able to see em right back in range quickly... and maybe just maybe even Dave might enjoy the game too :p... it certainly was a more productive suggestion than the bashing you guys have given the guy here on the forums. Good Christ it's no wonder it's a rare sight for a newbie to post here on forums or to try and chat on IRC when you old timers talk down at them the way you have here... yet at the same time fill other threads up with your ideas to improve the game... all of which is pretty much a useless cause it seems, since there is only one person who could implement any change good /bad/or "retarded" and he doesn't seem to be present in any of these debates.
Cheers to those of you who presented arguments to Dave's original and ensuing redundant posts without ridicule. And Lucky your a good man but your post was completely uncalled for and unnecessary.
"Once Azzer started babying everyone hard-core, the game started dying.. Perhaps we should revert to the days of old, when you get zeroed, and have NOTHING.. not even 20% funds from your lost units to rebuild a little." LOL man I would love to see the SQ accusations fly if that were to happen :p
And Dave please do re-read CFalcon's first post it was a voice of reason.. as far as your continued argument here, well it's kind of like telling your 90 year old grandfather that he might try a new iphone instead of that landline thing with the rotary dial, he just isn't going to change cause that thing has worked just fine for him since round 2
Have a nice day all.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Unfortunately James, you are incorrect in most of your assumptions and unintelligible in the remainder. Perhaps you'd like to try again? However given your proclivity to be stubborn and not listen to any opposing opinion no matter how calmly, rationally, and intelligently stated, I think I shall not bother trying to sway your opinion anymore :)

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
Unfortunately James, you are incorrect in most of your assumptions and unintelligible in the remainder. Perhaps you'd like to try again? However given your proclivity to be stubborn and not listen to any opposing opinion no matter how calmly, rationally, and intelligently stated, I think I shall not bother trying to sway your opinion anymore :)
well thanks Alci.. at least THAT I could agree with, although I am rather certain you will continue to rationalize and defend your play style till the cows come home. It's great being stubborn isn't it :p
And oh please forgive my what... 5 posts not swaying to your calm,rational and intelligent arguments. I shall hereby bow in submission.. I am so ashamed of myself

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Coruba, play for about 5 more years, then you might know a tenth of what any one of us already knows.

My god, the level of arrogance you (and a select others) display on this thread is astounding. I believe this elitism and general hostility towards those foolish enough to utter their opinion on this board to be as much a reason for playerbase decline than bashing is these days. Granted, bashing (which is what attacking at 30% usually is, hence what this topic really is about) has probably made more people leave if you include all the rounds from the beginning, but right now, this board is dripping with ill-aimed sarcasm, hostility, arrogance and school yard group-bullying.

Atlantis

Pruner
Coruba, play for about 5 more years, then you might know a tenth of what any one of us already knows.

My god, the level of arrogance you (and a select others) display on this thread is astounding. I believe this elitism and general hostility towards those foolish enough to utter their opinion on this board to be as much a reason for playerbase decline than bashing is these days. Granted, bashing (which is what attacking at 30% usually is, hence what this topic really is about) has probably made more people leave if you include all the rounds from the beginning, but right now, this board is dripping with ill-aimed sarcasm, hostility, arrogance and school yard group-bullying.

careful ND, you wil upset him even more. His reply to me (or dave - i couldnt fathom out to whom he was speaking) assumed i/we know nothing of this game and im not going to get into a debate about my bushtarion history with someone who clearly knows it all. Just found it hilarious.

People come, people go, people come back, all for differing reasons. Bashing, waving, boredom, time consuming, azzers apparent uninterest....the list is endless. Its a case of put up with it and enjoy the parts of the game you do like, or quit. Theres no real need for ignorance

dave

Harvester
yeah we know nothing aparently atlantis. ;)

also the parts of the game i enjoy is finding a wether im 100% sure ill smash ot not,and sending to it. when i do succeed, which people who know me will agree is most of the time its satisfying.

im glad i made the point i did, yeah im not great at debating but i just know im right. its not the only reason people quit, but it is a reason, which was my point.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
well, i think you are right to say it's one of the current reasons the newer players quit as a fact, and other people are right to say it shouldn't be the reason!

Last edited:

Coruba

Head Gardener
ND - You have got it in one - it is the main reason for the player decline......over inflated egos by the elite which then not only come out in the general play but also into the bulletin board.

Don't believe me.....watch the attacks......start a comin :)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
The reason people (like you) quit is a complete and utter refusal to learn what people are trying to teach you. Arrogance? I understated it quite a bit. I started out answering politely and to the point, when this NEW person says to everyone that is trying to help him "No, your wrong, I'm right, and there's nothing you can say or do to make me think otherwise." Why should I give 2 ***** for someone who refuses to learn? My post wasn't uncalled for, and I'm tempted to add to it. If you actually read it, I put a lot of information in there that would help anyone starting this game get an idea of what kind of game it is. To reiterate..

THIS IS A WAR GAME. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, EXPECT TO BE KILLED, IF YOU WANT TO PLAY PROPERLY, TRY TO KILL OTHERS..

Do I need to make that in big bold letters to help it sink in? I'm pretty sure I could put it on a piece of paper and bash it into your head with a ball-peen hammer if you need that.

Hmm, looking back at my post, I was a helluva lot nicer than I intended, and there are actually NO personal insults.. *Tempted to go correct that little misculation*

James - Mate.. If you read the first page of responses, it's a bunch of people trying to help.. and MOSTLY being nice about it (granted.. Martin's first reply was full of sarcasm.. :p) We always start out trying to help, hoping that this new player won't be like the many others who ignore advice.. about 3 pages into it, he posts saying that he's going to just ignore everything offered in the entire thread. My favorite part is when he tries to tell Yochoko she hasn't played at that level.. You want arrogance, read that.. Even I'm not stupid enough to presume I know where everyone has or hasn't played, and anyone that says I'm always a top player (never playing at the lower levels) knows quite literally nothing about my play. I'm done being nice to this newbie, he will learn and stay, or not and quit, I care not either way. When a new one comes along, the process will start over again, and I can only hope if ends on the first page when he goes "Oh, Can you teach me?" To one of the experienced players that offer assistance, as opposed to telling them they obviously know less about the game than someone who's been around for a round or 2 and still thinks there needs to be a big red "win" button installed.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Thread name: "Killing the game"

> Implying the game didn't die 10/15/20 rounds ago. :p

When there were more people in the game you didn't get bashed as much as there were more people around you getting the same treatment from above.

The attitude from players hasn't changed at all. It's the fact that there are less players now so you really do feel the bashes, unfortunately. The reason(s) for the decline in playerbase is for another thread.

And before you start raping me for "never playing at your level" before ... I've played rank 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.... ally, high rank solo, low rank solo, inactive, active, contactable, uncontactable ;P

I could no longer play in a lower ranked alliance where there are uncontactable and really inactive people in it. I don't know how people can still do it because it's so hard to pull off. You have no chance :(

P.s. Lol @ Luckysports the best player in the game evarrrrrrrr

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
yes Lucky I know, I didn't say all your posts were uncalled for ... it was some of the latter that truly don't solve anything at least not on a public forum where people who don't know him or you very well read all comments. It was at that point in your frustration at him you should hit that friends only button (figuratively) and just not post inflammatory and insulting messages.
it is all just becoming a bash fest on this thread for anybody who doesn't agree 100% with you guys who have been around many many rounds. Hell Alci started bashing me here and on irc when I foolishly suggested some ideas to try and help the declining player-base here, yet when one of the more experienced players started a thread (scaled insurance) which was basically a more thought out and intelligent post pretty much along the lines of what I suggested, and voila- no bashing, no insulting, no elitism. WTF I love this game and would really like to be able to chat about remember back when.. yada yada yada... And I think that anyone who knows me (which would exclude some here it seems) would agree that I am not a whiner, I do expect to be killed on a regular basis (only when I am afk sleeping :p) and I DO listen to suggestions, sage advice from you guys who know the ins and outs of bush play.. I would think that just my record of having only played 3 rounds previously and made portal twice would suggest that I must listen to someone's advice. I am trying to learn this game more and more, part of that learning curve means reading posts here and chat on Irc and occasionally making naive suggestions.. but then to only be insulted by a select few doesn't really increase my or anyone's motivation to listen, learn, ask questions and or basically stay around. Except for Crazy, I don't/haven't insulted anyone here, on Irc or with ingame messages. Most of the time I even respond to the people who have bashed me in a good humored and joking way or not at all. I don't deserve to be bashed in public, ignored ok pew pew'd ok the same holds true for anyone posting here. A war GAME yes, a COMMUNITY war game. Having chatted with a few "experienced" players who have played with Dave this round and previous rounds say he is actually a pretty good guy who tries hard, doesn't whine, is aggressive about attacking and overall a decent member of the community. Just stop the abusive replies please.. no need for it, it doesn't do crap for promoting the continued existence of this game which is the one thing everyone who has posted here really wants. Thanks.. feel free to bash me for my naive attitude in the presence of such greatness. guess I will never make it past weeder in my level here cause I think I am finished with this useless page. (though I do like the title of weeder, reminds me of my penchant for wanting to twist a big fat one up and smoke away the day... ahhh the good old days :p)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
James, a few things -

Dave didn't really start to get bashed until it became obvious he wasn't going to at least ACKNOWLEDGE any of the points that were made. He just said that he knows how to play (more so than us apparently) and that he says this is this and nothing anyone else says to the contrary can possibly be correct.

I haven't seen any reason to flame you, other than the fact that trying to read your post is a lot like trying to stick 3-inch nails into my eyes for fun.. :p You need to space it out a bit so it doesn't all run together so much! I thought your suggestion about insurance was sarcasm, and alci overreacted.. Simple explanation can solve that easy enough most of the time, and other times, well, each person responds differently.

Wouter

Pruner
If you want a game about rainbows and sunshine that you can't lose, go play something else, If you want to compete, kill, fight, main, bite, and seek vengeance, then your in the right place and should quickly find a niche. The players that are usually deemed as the best tend to be stubborn. They are the players that will rush you 200 times, you might send out or get defense 199 times, but that 200th time, when you don't get defense or you forget to send out..

RPG POWERZZZ

also, on topic, i just read all the comments (yeah i had plenty of time while waiting :p) and i gotta say, dave is really stubborn in his own way.

Dave, its 4am-5am here. At first i woke up to send a rush with my ally mates, then had to stay up for the expected retal and now i am sending a new rush right after because it might get me through...
You need that kind of playing to win this game, not the 'i cannot play that much, and now i blame others for me not winning' kind of playing. With this little playerbase being online a lot/being contactable became even more important...

Just accept this game has 30% attacks, there has to be a limit and this limit is the one Azzer went for
Even if he changed the limit to 40% there would still be +2 attacks and you'd still get bashed since people dont send attacks to go for brs they wont win... simple as that

lillie

Harvester
Wouter as far as I can tell Dave is not talking about ..winning the game.. and he does send unsure if he will win a br just for the fun off it also very much enjoys stealth targetting.. his main gripe is +2 attacks.

Yes they are allowed we all know that and I think justified if hitting a small ally alone.

I could say alot more but tbh its just going over the same stuff and will get the same replies ..so I won`t bothering boring you all yet again :D but...

If someone can explain to me how hitting me with +2 and bringing 2 mates along at eta5 from rank 1 ally when I have 3k land I would appreciate it.... then I might be able to explain to any newbie that this is why they do it before they turn into cry babies and leave :roll:

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
People always try to find the easiest way. That would be my guess. I think its kind of silly to attack +2 for a 300 acre grab at this point in the game, but then again, If I were the lower-ranked nub in my ally, 300 acres might be worth it..

Franny

Head Gardener
Dave you say that playing at a lower level and having +2 attacks makes people quit?
I'd like to see you play at the top level and not want to quit at some point.
I love playing at a low level bashing with loads of targets. Being bashed back when I grow too big and then starting all over again with a different unit ratio.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Balls to this topic. Lock it due to it's utter uselessness in solving a person's questions.

If you feel sour about somebody's opinion on something (I know Dave IRL, so I know his few misgivings for this game inside/out), then say nothing. It's a time old saying of 'if you have nothing good to say, then merely say nothing'.

I have led/co-lead alliances/played alongside people that have dropped out due to said issue. I have then played the round after to find them do really well and enjoy the round. It's a circular issue. Some people will always be begrudged by that behaviour - It's just how things are.
Do not downtread people purely because you have never felt as they have.