Switching over from the Darkside

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
I am looking to buy a new PC. As the days go on I am beginning to realize that PC's are just far superior to Mac's. I know nothing about PC's, which PC to get, which operating system to use, etc. etc. I am looking to buy a desktop say between 500-1000 USD ($), my friend suggested building one, but I have no computer knowledge and thus would just waste all my money. I am looking for something that will mainly be used to surf the web, talk to friends, complete my homework assignments (word/PPT), download/install programs (photoshop, etc.), and of course gaming. I typed a few criteria I would like the computer to meet.

200+ GB on the HD
Enough RAM to play any new games that come out the next 2-3 years
Great for Games (probably won’t have more then 5 games loaded at a time)
Great for schoolwork (power point, Word.)
Internet (wireless as well would be nice, just for when my internet from the cord doesn’t work. :-D)
Will be able to download/install programs with no problems (disc or internet.)
Between 500 and 1000 USD, the lower the better ( I don’t want some craptastic computer though, something that’ll last a few years, and not considered ancient.)
Also something with enough ports to plug stuff in. Power, printer, External HD if needed, Speakers, internet cord, etc. (Would assume this would also be on the screen I choose?)
Think that is it. Will add more if I think of anything else.

Also any good suggestions for a nice keyboard, mouse and screen (no bigger then 22 inches.)?

Currently this is what a friend suggested to me.

Tower (keyboard, mouse and webcam also come in a bundle if I pay extra): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883227047

Screen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %2bMonitor

While the current tower looks nice, it may be a bit to pricey after the rest of the items are thrown in. Also I like the screen, but again may be too pricey.

Thanks!

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Re: Switching over from the Darkside

WackyJacky said:
Enough RAM to play any new games that come out the next 2-3 years
Great for Games (probably won’t have more then 5 games loaded at a time)

Those two alone will rise the price quite a lot... also a lot of RAM is nothing without a good processor and a good graphics card. Don't forget that you will also need a good motherboard...
Not to mention a monitor... :p

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

To give you a couple ideas.. OS related, I recommend windows XP. Vista had just too many bugs for me (in 64-bits) and I don't like it. Maybe you can try both out at your local shop where pc's are running or over at a friends' place, to get a 'feeling'/first impression?
Hardware like, I'd definitely go for an Intel processor, Quad or Dual Core, preferably E8200/8400 or Q9300. Ram, 2Gb's is more than enough for now. Graphics card, Ati 3870, nVidia 8800GT/GTS or 9600GT.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I think maxi said everything nesessary.
Unlike f0xy said RAM is cheap as hell atm so it shouldnt be a problem. I suggest you go to nearest computer store and check things out. Without knownledge of comps you really should just go to store instead of ordering stuff online. Just write those graphic cards and processors up that Maxi mentioned and walk to store.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Just to give you a few "vague specifications" to look for in any machine builds you look at, I'd say get an Intel Quad Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, and something in the nVidia GeForce 8800 range (or ATI's equivalent which I can't be bothered looking up to check, though nVidia are much better on the driver update front). A 22" gaming monitor is nice - but make sure it's a gaming monitor as opposed to a cheapy LCD screen which will give "screen bleed" when playing fast action games. I personally have a Hyundai 24" W241D-PVA and it's really fantastic for working on and gaming with.

Also in terms of operating system, despite what some people tell you I would suggest Vista 64 bit "Ultimate" edition - I personally use Vista 64 and have used it since December on a new "top of the line" gaming rig I built myself, and while I have had a couple of minor issues, they were easy to solve. Vista also supports DirectX10 so if you want to cover gaming for the next couple of years then I'd get Vista (and Vista 64 bit just so you have everything!). If you get in to any trouble with 64 bit issues just ask on the forums, chances are myself or others with 64 bit Vista will have had the same troubles and can help you fix things.

I'd not bother with wireless networking card on a desktop gaming machine. If you can get an ethernet cable from your router to your PC, then cable it. Put the cable under carpets. Put a hole in a ceiling and drop a cable through downstairs, hiding it behind furniture, painting it, whatever. A cable is just much more reliable and faster than wireless, and wireless brings in odd little problems and can be irritating sometimes for playing FPS games online.

Also get a wired keyboard and a wired mouse - do not get wireless keyboard and mouse! If you are a total geek gamer like me, the (very slight) delay/latency between clicking or pressing a key, and the PC responding, can be a killer in online gaming (and just multiplies any network latency you have). If you want an expensive mouse get a laser mouse (not the same as an "optical" mouse) - laser's are the "new thing" with mice and much more accurate, but to be fair you don't usually notice much difference between a cheap £7 Microsoft/Logitech optical mouse and a £50 gaming mouse (there is a difference, but if you have a budget it's not a difference worth paying for). Microsoft or Logitech for a mouse, and your choice for a keyboard (but MS and LG do a great keyboard range too).

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Must say that old microsoft intellimouse explorer that i had was wireless and awesome... never noticed any lag etc... tho i hated that battery here battery there crap. Using A4tech X7 laser mouse now. Its freaking cheap and kicks the crap out of all those 5 times more expencive gaming mouses like G5 etc. Im also using old compaq keyb... after i spilled my beer on my old keyb that even used old connecting method... both are much better than 99% of new keyboards... There isnt limited amount of keys i can press... i suggest to get old 2nd hand keyb from some store or to invest some money to keyb if you dont want to end up with one which you cant move, strafe and jump at same time :p

cervantes

Pruner

Azzer and Maxi gave excellent advice.
I just built a computer 4 monts ago, and I used the following components:
(It is not high end rig, more like upper middle class or some, but you could start from there):

CPU: I have a Core 2 Duo 6750. Now I would get a 45nm E8400, but they are still hard to get. If you have a bit more money, go with the Quadcore Q9300.

Videocard: I have a 8800GT 512MB. Pretty happy with it. The prices have dropped, so I would go with the slightly faster 8800GTS now.

RAM: 2 Gigabytes at least, since RAM is cheap atm. If you can afford, invest in 4 Gigs.

And get a decent motherboard, which might be the toughest choice since there are literally hundreds out there. I had good experiences with Asus.

Thats about it I think, Hard Drive and DVD burner are all comparably cheap, so doesnt really matter, just get a good brand and yu should be fine. And make sure to get SATA drives rather than the old IDE crap.

OS: this is tricky, I am still using Windows XP because all my games run on it and all the drivers are pretty good and available. But in the near future you might need Windows Vista to be able to enjoy the nice directX 10 games. Especially since you will have a DirectX10 Video card in your rig anyway. The best is probably to have both OS installed in parallel, so you can boot the one you need for the games of your choice. This is what I will probably do when I decide to buy Windows Vista, i will install it on a second partition and run whichever I need.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Just to clarify - these model numbers people are saying above (the Qxxxx numbers) are the processor model - and are referring specifically to Intel processors (the currently recommended processos of choice! :D). Just so you don't think people are referring to something else (like a whole pre-built computer spec), which understandably someone entirely new to the PC scene could easily think!

Also note that it's very unlikely you'll have any say in what motherboard goes in to your PC if you are getting a pre-built one - generally they use cheaper 'bulk buy' motherboards and then spec the rest of the PC parts based on what the motherboard will allow... but if you do get a choice of motherboard brands, I'd aim for an Asus motherboard anytime (some people rate Abit highly too, but I've never had an Abit motherboard).

But being both on a budget, and being limited to pre-built PC's (whether slightly customised or not), you're not going to have a whole variety of choice anyway, so probably just get the most expensive thing you can afford, and just adhere to some of the advice given here where possible (eg Intel Quad Core, otherwise Intel Dual Core, most expensive one you can budget for.. nVidia graphics card in the 8800 range... 4 GB of RAM where at all possible if you want to cover yourself for the next few years of gaming... 22" monitor that has very fast response time - try and look up some reviews of them on Google and find some forums about people either rating the monitor or slating it, you can get very crap LCD monitors that can ruin a game, and very expensive ones that look amazing, be very very careful with flat screen monitors if you don't know much about them! Do your research!).