• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Sleep Mode

Walking_Death

Harvester
It appears that the big divide here is "Should people be punished for not playing constantly?" or, to phrase it more fairly for toby's side, "Is sleep mode making inactive players stronger than they should be?" While points can be made on both sides, the best answer is (in my eyes) to disable it for alliances who have defense at the ready, and thus don't need it, but leave it for solos.

A solo is just one person, who needs things like sleep, or time away from bushtarion due to whatever reasons (family, friends, work, going to court for puppy-strangulation, etc.). They shouldn't be punished just for being human while alliances don't have to deal with that. Solos aren't as invincible because of sleep mode as you make them sound. They can easily be trampled on if their AR mod gets low. If a Pnap sends help, then you can just have someone attack the Pnap. Someone will get land. It will force them to make themselves either horrible targets, which isn't fun to play as, or force them into a constant state of fear, which many people simply wouldn't be willing to put up with. Be content with just landing, you don't have to 0 them too. That's just killing for the sake of killing that you want :p

Elevnos

BANNED
Disabling it for all alliances would:
A) Discourage a lot of FTF alliance play.
B) Mean an even bigger gap between the top alliances and the lower ones, especially as most lower and FTF alliances don't have as much night cover because they accept people that apply with less thought put in than a FTW alliance would.
C) It would cause much more zeroing, leading to the point above, and make people a lot less willing to go on playing.

You can't disable sleep mode just for alliance players because that is simply unfair. What I would propose is a cap on the amount of hours an ID is allowed to sleep in a week. Whilst still allowing players to sleep for things like holidays. This way no player can be completely invincible unless they have an insane amount of activity (like what I'm putting in in this round :p) sure, I hit sleep mode some nights, but mainly only when it seems risky not to do so.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Well at least I sparked a proper discussion! Obviously sleep mode was never going to be junked just because I asked for it, but hopefully some people can see that it is a flawed system and we could do with a better one.

I quite like a couple of the ideas put forward by Elevnos and Hugo, namely disabling sleep mode for alliances or having a limit on the hours you can sleep mode in a week. Both have their merits.

Souls

Official Helper
Either way you look at it it's a problem. :p

@Iamsmart, how is saying sleep mode is essentially a pause button over-exaggerating? That's pretty much exactly what it is; Can't attack or defend, can't be attacked or defended, and stunts your seed growth. It removes you from the game for x amount of time. ;P

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Either way you look at it it's a problem. :p

@Iamsmart, how is saying sleep mode is essentially a pause button over-exaggerating? That's pretty much exactly what it is; Can't attack or defend, can't be attacked or defended, and stunts your seed growth. It removes you from the game for x amount of time. ;P

It's also a huge risk to enter it - especially consistently. If they send in the 3 tick window before you hit sleep mode you cant send out and you can't get proper defense. Zeroed.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
with 90% AR, there aren't too many routes that can be flakked through like that.. even with CG. even 80% AR (about a day after being killed) is hard to flak through.

dave

Harvester
Change it so the minimum length of time you can hit sleep for is 1 week. I'm getting tired of people hitting sleep to avoid a bit of incoming like the great big vagina-faced weeny tools they are.

This could also class as a gripe.

this is a terrible idea.
the reason people have to use sleep mode is because if they didnt they would get farmed every evening by superior alliances.
i for one would never play allied again, and i guarentee this stupid idea would chop the playerbase even further down.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
with 90% AR, there aren't too many routes that can be flakked through like that.. even with CG. even 80% AR (about a day after being killed) is hard to flak through.

when you are completely 0'd, yes, you get flakked. and that was the case i was talking about. tilllllll you come online and buy some troops. haven't you seen any players who died and got landraped sooooo hard afterwards? this round, i've seen a solo who died with 11k lands and left only with 2.3k lands when he came online.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator

when you are completely 0'd, yes, you get flakked. and that was the case i was talking about. tilllllll you come online and buy some troops. haven't you seen any players who died and got landraped sooooo hard afterwards? this round, i've seen a solo who died with 11k lands and left only with 2.3k lands when he came online.

atleast they had injuries and insurance to rebuild with, unlike the 'good old days' before injuries and insurance! :p Such a lucky priveledged age we play in :p

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
this is a terrible idea.
the reason people have to use sleep mode is because if they didnt they would get farmed every evening by superior alliances.
i for one would never play allied again, and i guarentee this stupid idea would chop the playerbase even further down.

Tunnelvisioner ahoy!

You'd never play allied again if you couldn't sleep mode? Seriously? I thought the solos would be the ones most affected. Allied players have no excuse to hit sleep mode unless they're going on holiday. Anything other than that is just unnecessary. Big alliances will hit you, you will hit alliances smaller than you, and the smallest alliances will probably do nothing at all because they don't really care. That's the way the game works. You won't get farmed every evening because if you die you'll be out of range of the bigger alliance and they won't be able to hit you again until you're back in range. Changing sleep mode to make it less of a "pause" function, as Souls so beautifully described it, would hopefully encourage people to play smarter and make them care a bit less about dying.

You might not agree with the change but it isn't stupid or terrible. There are advantages to changing sleep mode, and there are advantages for keeping it the same.

In future try and read the whole thread rather than just jumping out of your skin in fear when someone suggests something which might make your life a little harder.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer

maybe im too active for my own good. :p Im not used to going without troops for any short period of time.. Then again, its been a few round since anyone has managed to zero me.

Max

Garden Designer
Interesting discussion! As a veteran of alliances and solo-play alike, here are my few pearls of wisdom:

1) I agree that it is quite possible to play well as a solo without sleep mode. Toby is entirely right here. I have often played pure solo (no PNAPs) with no sleep mode at 5 hours a day, and done incredibly well, and not bunkers either. It just requires you to have an optimistic mentality, that's all :D If you get zeroed, no better opportunity to rebuild faster and catapult oneself into the top rankings again.

In fact, I prefer not to use sleep mode for the extra seed generation! Although I admit that for a solo player with VERY low land, troops are indeed more valuable and sleep mode becomes more attractive (although I dislike it for the aformentioned vulnerabilities).

2) You are correct again, toby, that for a good alliance, players in sleep mode is a BAD thing. It leaves the alliance vulnerable in so many ways, not the least in the 3 tick danger zone before it activates. I'd always advocate sending to the HQ over sleep mode, every time.

However, this is only true for a top alliance. In fact, it is more beneficial for smaller alliances to have players hit sleep mode regularly. This is because a player who is reasonably active, but not contactable, will better serve the alliance with troops that without them. Uncontactable and out of sleep mode at night = death sentence. It's just unavoidable, if someone can and wants to kill an offliner, they will. However, again I would suggest that sending to the HQ is a better solution, since there is a cap on which alliance members can attack the HQ, and yet it is still riskier, with greater seed generation! ;)

So my suggestion is actually that sleep mode is more necessary for alliances than it is for solos hahaha, bizarre but true from my experience anyway. I don't think much would change in the game were sleep mode removed, but personally I'd love to see Polo's idea of being able to attack those in sleep mode, that would be so awesome.