Router Issues

CFalcon

Official Helper
Every now and then my router just decides that I can't be allowed to access sites which I haven't accessed before the mysterious cut off point. If I try and ignore it then it gets angry with me and starts cutting off ones from before the cut off point too (IRC is usually the last thing to go). It still insists that the wireless network is connected and working properly, but it's clearly lying to me.

Now no amount of rebooting the computer or resetting/repairing internet connections will resolve the problem.

The ONLY thing I can find that can make internet on my machine start working properly again is rebooting the router, ie unplugging it.

Now at first I thought this might just be either my cranky old laptop or my rather dusty router. But since then I have got a new netbook, and tried both laptop and netbook on 4 different routers in 3 entirely separate houses. Same result every time, sooner or later it starts shutting off access and I have to reboot the router. I've also found the same problem happens with the 2 PCs I have connected in one of the houses mentioned.

Rebooting the router several times a day earns you no favours when you share with 6 other net-dependant students, so this is really starting to get on my tits.

No-one I've talked to has had this problem, but I've had it on so many machines on so many networks that I'm starting to think the internet just hates me.

In short, WTF is happening?!?

Souls

Official Helper
Chances are either your modem or your router is dying. If they're rentals from your internet provider, go talk to them about swapping out. If they aren't, you'll likely have to replace them. :p

How old are they?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
In short, God hates you.

-

J/k - You say you share your connection with others? This may well be the problem. Do any of your peers use the internet to download files over p2p? If so, that individual (could be more than one person) will be seriously damaging the quality of your http connections.

p2p clients can make anything up to about 60 connections to download different segments of a large file. This is a massive drain on the connection and will probably mean your net is very slow/unresponsive.

This is just one suggestion, given you share an internet connection - it could be one of many things.

If you want to test whether this ^ is the reason try resetting the router and doing a speed test.

If the test provides a good result compared with when the router has been on for x amount of hours (allowing many p2p connections to be made) its likely this is your issue.

CFalcon

Official Helper
Incase anyone else is having the same problem:

On advice from MarkB I changed my DNS to google public DNS, and I haven't encountered the problem since. Hopefully gone forever :p

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Are you, perchance, with O2 using a Netgear router?

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
CFalcon: awesome news

Be (and probably o2) have awful DNS servers at times, I know several friends who have Be and have switched to Google/other DNS server providers and have had no problems since.