Recruitment threads

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Do people think negative feedback should be allowed? Or are we only allowed to massage egos, and stroke e-peens?

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
i think 1 or 2 mods think this should be a happy happy joy joy love fest. 1 in particular (who may not have even done the editing) thinks this is his world to rule.

weeble didn't list content in his guidelines... so I don't see any reason not to have good and/or bad listed.

it should be either all info pertinent, or NO info pertinent - just the sole post of the OP.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Yeah I don't think you should loose personal bashing and grudge holding against people, but it should be allowed to have reasonable negative feedback. How else are people going to learn?

No-Dachi

Official Helper
However, with the dwindling playerbase we have, a player whos had a bad round will then be marked, and his chances of getting in an ally and actually learn good behaviour/playstyle will be slim. Most of the notorious morons are already known to the vast majority of the playerbase, and by allowing negative comments in the recruitment thread I can assure you our very own squad of internet warriors will make sure that everyone will learn that the noob did suck in his first round.

So yes, maybe it's better to banish all form for comments, but that sounds a bit harsh too.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
i think 'noob mistakes' can be corrected during the round. if the person didn't improve on that (i mean, like not sending def when told, not getting online at all or most of the times when pranked, not very sociable, act so self-centered, etc) during the round, they'll get bad feedback for sure. i don't think anyone is willing to give it to someone who had potentials of improving. feedback is given as a result of one's attitude/behaviour (and not only solely based on the skills/playstyle). one can be brilliant, can be mediocre, or can be average depending on the round too, sure. that's why we need actually different opinions/feedbacks, both positive and negative so the takers can have the more close-to-reality idea about the person. that's how i think. :X

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Constructive feedback should be welcome..

However, often times, it turns into a trollfest and any semblance of constructive criticism is lost..

Yochoko

Head Gardener

However, often times, it turns into a trollfest and any semblance of constructive criticism is lost..

Well, actually, isn't it the mods' ability to differentiate them and 'mod' those trolling posts and not the constructive 'fair' opinions?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
However, with the dwindling playerbase we have, a player whos had a bad round will then be marked, and his chances of getting in an ally and actually learn good behaviour/playstyle will be slim. Most of the notorious morons are already known to the vast majority of the playerbase, and by allowing negative comments in the recruitment thread I can assure you our very own squad of internet warriors will make sure that everyone will learn that the noob did suck in his first round.

So yes, maybe it's better to banish all form for comments, but that sounds a bit harsh too.

I agree with that Dachi, I don't mean criticism in terms of noobishness, we were all new once, and hell i'm still a noob and suck. I'm talking in terms of attitude, shipjumper likelihoood, trustworthiness etc. Not about in game skill per se.

And yes, there will be the internet warrior squad who will troll but that is why we have mods as yochoko says.

Well, actually, isn't it the mods' ability to differentiate them and 'mod' those trolling posts and not the constructive 'fair' opinions?

This ^^

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Do people think negative feedback should be allowed?
Yes
Or are we only allowed to massage egos, and stroke e-peens?
No

This

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Responses to recruitment threads are bound by the same rules as any other sub-forum.

Criticism of another player is not breaking any rules, although in an ideal world this criticism should be constructive.

The only rule you should bear in mind when considering a negative response to a recruitment thread is:

• Challenge other's points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and courteously. Be civil and constructive, not ignorant and rude.
This is the only rule I can foresee being applied to negative responses to recruitment posts, but you'd have to say something fairly derogatory to have your post removed.

By all means leave a bad review of someone's playstyle (or lack thereof) but don't be cruel/attack the character of that person.

Examples of both:

"I've played on X number of occasions with Bloggsy. He is not a very active player, he does not work well as part of a team, his communication is lacking/none-existent and he's rarely online"

"I played with Bloggsy last round. He's basically a bit of a retard, avoid him at all costs because he sucks".

Basically, its not difficult to say something negative whilst still being nice/reasonable about.

[Edit] Thinking about it, Alci, you bring up a good point and I've created a thread to clear up the position of the moderation team on this particular issue. Ta.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
yes lucky. toby and alci in beasteh's recruitment thread. in one post toby brought up actual points about why toby didn't think beasteh would be a good fit, but the overreaction team deleted it... twice.

I've been in alliances with beasteh when he was awesome (which is almost always, but specifically when we were the trfc crew) and was in the alliance I believe when toby was making his point of why he didn't like beasteh.

toby's second post was to the point and should have NOT been deleted even by DA's own standards yet here we are.

2 other mods (martin and polo) didn't edit it yet our overreaction team continues to be on the job.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
toby's second post was to the point and should have NOT been deleted even by DA's own standards yet here we are

The main point being that he didn't even vaguely try to help the alliance in any way and actually hindered us on several points...No defences sent, started wrong route deliberately, hit sleep after telling us he was cheating, got locked and deleted, etc, His attitude was the worst I have seen in 25 rounds.

And this isn't in the recruitment section so atsan can suck on my ballsack.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Garrett said:
toby's second post was to the point and should have NOT been deleted even by DA's own standards yet here we are.

2 other mods (martin and polo) didn't edit it yet our overreaction team continues to be on the job.

There hasn't previously been any guidelines for mods on this particular issue (There are obviously the forum rules, but the way in which they should interpreted and applied to the recruitment sub-forum wasn't clear)

I've taken steps to rectify this and guidelines are now in place. This should ensure continuity as far as decisions go as all the moderators should now be on the same page.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Garrett said:

There hasn't previously been any guidelines for mods on this particular issue (There are obviously the forum rules, but the way in which they should interpreted and applied to the recruitment sub-forum wasn't clear)

I've taken steps to rectify this and guidelines are now in place. This should ensure continuity as far as decisions go as all the moderators should now be on the same page.

I've only scanned the 'new rules' and this thread, but tbh anything which causes people to lighten up I'll agree to.
If you are being trolled, generally you have done something to offend/annoy that person, deal with the consequences. As long as a troll is in keeping with a thread instead of simple "You're an idiot" without anything else then I obviously couldn't care less.