Random alliances - Can they work, and how?

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Well I think I replied to that "how to do it part" already :p

Indeed, it would be quite easy to hack out an alliance version of "player profiles" I'd have thought. And the player security level/permissions system can be hacked a bit to allow different people the ability to change the profile of an alliance or "lead" that alliance for a round etc.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
wasnt the purpose to give 'Alliances' special privilages? not the individual player? your way sounds like a database records which alliance youve been in with the same name and then you get something for lets say being in Discworld for 15 rounds? how would that work would you have to be in discworld for the round to be able to collect these privilages?

imo privilages should be for the Alliance which has been around for this time not the player, you could probably pass it over with the leader or...

this is my idea.
a person can Register an alliance this means that no person can create an alliance with this name, maybe give 2 spots so you can ahve 2 allis, one with all your decently created stuff and 1 spot so you can create an alli one round when your messing about.

to make this viable id suggest that the alliance must be about for at least 2 out of 3 months of the round to stop folks just creating an alliance to gain an 'Alliance point' (this is what im gonna call it)

alliance points are as follows: you have an alli for 2/3 months of the round, you gain 1 alli point, when you use this same alli again next round, you gain a small bonus and again and again everytime you reach a certain alliance point number

maybe something like this

1 alli point (which will be the second time you use the same alli coz your not gonna start with 1 point) gives you more troop options?

3 alli points gives you reduced HQ troop cost

5 alli points gives you injury with your HQ troops

10 alli points gives your alliance a new unit called 'Beast' (yes my imagination runs wild)
this units basically kicks ass alot more than tanks and gargs do right now
*this however does require you to play an eleventh round so its not like you dont have to put in alot of effort

15 points - HQ troops are stealth (inside a lead bunker 500 million feet underground if you like

25 points - you get an extra member slot

tell me what you think, things can be modified

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Personally, I wouldn't give alliances or players any benefit from an out-of-game alliance system. I think it should be just like user profiles - a space to show off a bit about the alliance as well as rewarding alliances with awards (that have no in game benefit) at the end of each round.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of tangible (lolz) rewards for alliances that are long-standing and well established.

Arguably being able to organize themselves outside the actual game, is a big enough advantage, though it wouldn't hurt to give alliances who've been around for 2-3 rounds, actual rewards. (As Cyrus suggests)

Not a huge fan of the extra member slot idea though :p Too big of an advantage IMO.

But certainly some kind of HQ unit, or free development, etc. (Maybe even some kind of alliance trophy)

DA

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
obviously the 20 round thing will take quite a while lets be honest so the 1 extra member slot everyone thats starting age 5 can achieve it if they stay around

and polo its not an out of game alliance system, its gonna effect ingame and its created ingame by the alliance sticking around. gives alliances more of a reason to not disband
and possibly adding onto that they must have 5 members or more for those 2/3 months

i dont wanna suggest alliances msut finish top 5 coz then the same guys would jsut gain all advantages where-as we want everyone to benefit and stick around right?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I think things like rewards etc. can be discussed later on if whole thing actually works. It might be why someone knocks things like this down. As let alone having such system without any benefits would be awesome. Add some awards like players do on top of that and it would be superior. But for now I would be pretty happy to just see some kind of system.

ViVi

Pruner
It's a game and so ultimately recreational, therefore I fail to see why any player ought to be penalised on his choice of alliance because there's a minority of the player base that dedicate exuberant amounts of time to the game in order to play it competitively. This is something you will find in all games, and I think people need to get it out of their heads that being the top alliance or one of the top twenty players is the be all or end all to the game.

There are enough competitive players that the "winning" group will not always be the same ones, and so, I don't feel that it's a problem that we need to remedy in and of itself. Making alliances a random affair is really not the way forward to solving this supposed problem.

It generally comes down to people that are playing it leisurely, and while contributing a fair amount of time to the game, they are not playing it actively enough to be considered "in the running", shall we say, and so the consensus is that the game is ridiculous unfair and imbalanced.

I would suggest, if you genuinely want to address the issue, that you consider alternate ways for people to accumulate some manner of recognition or purpose to their play. Obviously this is something Azzer realized a long time ago, hence the introduction of Bounty hunting and Honour/Fame etc that we've all seen before. That's the direction you need to expand in should you wish to cater to the more casual gamer.

Hardcore groups are always going to play for the win and it's not for you or I to punish them for that. You get out what you put in, as they say.

Mirey

Weeder
Sounds like the galaxy system from Planetarion :p

removed for being a dead post bump, also see below

Last edited by a moderator: