Problems again!

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Hey all, recently my internet browsers (ALL of them) don't load webpages. The internet works fine, because i am still chatting on msn / irc. But it sometimes loads up webpages, sometimes not. I have to repeatedly click on refresh for it to load and even then sometimes the page loads a bit ****ed up.

Ive been managing up until now, but when I need it most (i.e. now) it just doesn't work. I have no idea what the problem is. It might be my PC, it might be my ISP. I just need somoene to help me crack down on this stupid problem and hopefully solve it for me too.

Thanks a lot
Nitrous

PS - I don't know if this will help but it just happened again on FF, error msg says:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.ucas.ac.uk.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Hm... try doing the spring cleaning guide. I have some feeling this is a virus/spyware/malware thing.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Try traceroute to these websites.
And nslookup.

In command prompt: tracert www.google.com
nslookup www.google.com

I've had the same problem because of DSN problems, so just do these commands at a moment when you fail to connect to a website, and see what it says.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Which sites specifically are failing to load (and giving a message similar to the above), or is it just any site at that specific time?

Chances are it'll be a DNS issue, as Hobbe mentioned, in which case the fix can be rather straightforward.. all you need to do is change the DNS servers your connection uses (either Ethernet or Wireless) temporarily until the issue rectifies itself.

What ISP are you with? And how long has this been going on?

AndyM

Pruner
Firefox can't find the server at www.ucas.ac.uk.

If you were having trouble loading UCAS it may have been because of the masses of people trying to access their results yesterday - I had the same trouble last year when the results were released (I think they released them gradually from midnight to about 7am to try and ease traffic, which didn't really help).

Anyway, hope you got in wherever you applied!

Nitrous

Head Gardener
Which sites specifically are failing to load (and giving a message similar to the above), or is it just any site at that specific time?

Chances are it'll be a DNS issue, as Hobbe mentioned, in which case the fix can be rather straightforward.. all you need to do is change the DNS servers your connection uses (either Ethernet or Wireless) temporarily until the issue rectifies itself.

What ISP are you with? And how long has this been going on?

It happens with any sites. Its happened with facebook/google/comet/bushtarion...list goes on and on. I dont THINK there's a specific time. Just occurs randomly.

ISP = TalkTalk

And its been going on for at least 3 months.