New Laptop - able to play games to some extent aswell!

Yeadon

Harvester
I know it is outside of your budget, but the following would be everything you require when it comes to gaming;

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/GIGA...ch_Full_HD_Windows_8_Lap_P27K-CF2/version.asp

The Graphics Card inside this baby, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M GDDR5 2GB is a beast. It's a high end video card. Will do what your want it to do no questions asked.

I know the laptop is above what you would like to pay, but it will be worth it.

Take a look. It is what I would be going for personally.

Gokualex

Harvester
is there really any difference between brands really? Dont they all use the same components and the brand is kind of only about design+warranty issues?

Gokualex

Harvester
and unfortunately, im a poor student so that computer is out of the question:p. im not a hardcore gamer anymore, and dont care about good graphics that much. I do however hate lag and low FPS :p! So a medium-low end gaming laptop should be fine.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
According to notebookchecknet, NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2gb outperforms AMD***8482; Radeon HD® 8570M 1GB by quite a bit though

Indeed. The GT 630M is about a year older than the HD 8570M. They release a number of different cards each year to cater for different requirements.

For example the GTX 765M is a newer high end card. But the GTX 770M is significantly more powerful and expensive, likewise for the GTX 780M. I think the GTX 670M is more powerful than the GTX 765M.

I know it is outside of your budget, but the following would be everything you require when it comes to gaming;

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/GIGA...ch_Full_HD_Windows_8_Lap_P27K-CF2/version.asp

The Graphics Card inside this baby, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M GDDR5 2GB is a beast. It's a high end video card. Will do what your want it to do no questions asked.

I know the laptop is above what you would like to pay, but it will be worth it.

Take a look. It is what I would be going for personally.

Yeah that's very similar to the Asus G750JW I got, maybe not quite as good. Same card. Practically same price. Also 17" full HD which can be cumbersome. 1TB HDD. 8GB RAM. But came with DVD-RW drive, not bluray (though I swapped drives with my old laptop which is bluray). Only big difference is the processor is about half the performance of the Asus i7. But for a gaming computer not that big a deal. Though yeah, bit expensive and big.

Still a very good deal.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
is there really any difference between brands really? Dont they all use the same components and the brand is kind of only about design+warranty issues?

Statistically Asus and Toshiba have the lowest failure rates. But warranty. So not such a big deal. Only 1yr by default.

Do you know what games you'll be playing on it?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-U2442D-CF...pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4d19391da4#shpCntId

Shipping and handling Import charges (estimated) To Service Delivery*
US $66.51 $165.22 Finland International Priority Shipping

So with shipping and import charges price goes from about $680 to $910 (USD). That GT 730M is better than what you've looked at so far. It's more a mid range card than low-mid range. See if you can find similar more local so you don't have the large shipping and import charges to deal with.

Yeadon

Harvester
Yeah delivery could be a pain.

Asus has risen through the ranks these past few years actually. I quite like them ;)

Gokualex

Harvester

Statistically Asus and Toshiba have the lowest failure rates. But warranty. So not such a big deal. Only 1yr by default.

Do you know what games you'll be playing on it?

well any games, however, i dont care about graphics in game, im fine with low settings. Care more about actual gameplay.

Yeadon

Harvester
Honestly Goku - I would stay away from Acer. They have proven very unreliable.

Past experiences have driven me to this conclusion.