New Laptop - able to play games to some extent aswell!

Gokualex

Harvester
Hi,

I need a new laptop preferably not too expensive (500 euro / $700).

I don't know much about computers, especially not much about laptops so.. need help!

15'' screen should be ok and it would be nice if it could run some games aswell. I don't really care about graphics in games as long as it doesn't lag:O.. and keep in mind that I live in Finland, so preferably from an online store in Europe!

Thanks!

Last edited:

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I always prioritise graphics because it's the only thing I reckon I'll push due to a little gaming. Internet and word processing doesn't exactly require 64 core possessors and a thousand gigs if RAM.

What I always do is go to Ebay and search laptops in my price range.

Then I go here
www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

And then I get a feel for the top graphics cards in my price range. I'll list the ones I find and cull the shittier ones.

Then I'll go back to Ebay and search laptops for the GPU, eg GTX 660M, and see what I find. I'll also look at some of the GPUs that rank a bit higher and a if I can find them in a laptop at a good price.

I generally limit my searches to Toshiba and Asus laptops just because they tend to have higher reliability. But others aren't too far off so whatever floats your boat.

I've noticed that Toshiba 'gaming' laptops (Qosmio) tend to be more multimedia laptops with nicer sleeker design. However the Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) laptops are indeed more geared towards gaming, usually packing the best gpu for the price range. I originally had a 15" Qosmio with a first gen i7 and the overheating is just too much to bear 3 years later.

I've also noticed that these gaming laptops tend to be 17". The 15" laptops seem to not offer the same performance for price, maybe because it's more compact. They're probably going to be heavier too and require a good laptop bag. So you might have to prioritise performance or convenience for price.

I actually just bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. An Asus ROG G750JW for $1500 (AUD mind you, I thought Finland was ***8364;?...). But basically anything with similar GPU performance was significantly more expensive, so it was best performance for the price I could find anywhere. Now i'm not at uni I went with the bigger laptop at 17". Heavy too, but i'm not carrying it much so it's fine.

That seems a bit out of your price range, but I would go through the same process of prioritising GPU.

CPU considerations: Celeron = go die in a fire. Current 4th gen (Haswell) processors have better power efficiency and generate a little less heat.

RAM: 8GB. No more. No less. Ok 4GB should be fine for non serious gaming. If anyone tries to upsell you more than 8GB RAM, you don't need it unless you are into serious video editing. Which you obviously aren't. No matter how much they think you need it, you don't.

I spend a good few hours finding a good laptop.

Yeadon

Harvester
Like you said, gaming requirements are heavily centered around the GPU.

Processors & RAM are not the core ingredients for successful, lag-free gaming.

You get the odd computer guy trying to do the PS4 - PC Rig comparison, but the price differs too much to even dare compare the two.

The GPU's available to the PC market will destroy that of the PS4 - But it will cost you much more than the £349 of the PS4 - £1000 plus to come close to matching the fps, rendering and load time speeds.

You quote $700 for the price you want to aim for. I would say that will land you a mid range gaming rig at the most. GPU's can inflate the price of a PC significantly.

You know the saying...you pay for what you get.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
That Asus uses integrated graphics. It will play dota 2 on low settings, but it might struggle. We saw Dell on another thread for $400 with the same Intel HD 4400. I would look for something with a low to mid range dedicated graphics card. Typically 1GB. For example you're.probably looking at a NVidia GT series card rather than GTX.

I'm guessing you don't want 17" laptop, because that Asus X75 with the GT 720M is significantly better than the Intel graphics. I'm talking 25-30% better, which is going to make all difference trying to play most modern games at low settings.

The i3-3120M processor is also a little better than the i5-4200U. The suffix U represents ULV (ultra low voltage). So it's clock rate is much lower (it is slower) due to prioritising power consumption rather than performance.

But i'm not sure those laptops represent the best value you can find. I might have a look and see what I can find later after my beauty sleep.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Much better. The Radeon HD 7670M is a little better, but basically the same as the NVidia GT 720M. The CPU is better too. And it's smaller. And it's 500 euro instead of 600. And it has more RAM. And the HDD is twice the size, and faster (7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm). And that's compared to the Asus X75. It sh*ts all over the X550.

But it is actually uncommon to use 7200 rpm drives in cheaper laptops. I'm pretty sure they use more power in exchange for slightly faster data read/write rates. I don't really care much for them and I wonder if you could find a cheaper laptop with a smaller 5400 rpm HDD. Or similar price with slightly better GPU and cheaper HDD.

Also beware exchange rates and shipping costs. Don't know what the deal is with such things over there.

Gokualex

Harvester
a friend of mine recommended the last link i posted, hope u are able to translate via google translate or chrome. He says it better and cheaper than the ebay one:eek:

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Only need to see numbers.

GPU is basically same performance as the one in the Dell Inspiron 15R. Dunno about CPU because they only listed it as i5. It has 20GB SSD (what performance nuts go for, basically offers 'noticeably' faster load times, and by noticeably I mean if you time load times with a watch. I also don't care for SSD. It's like a premium feature. I actually don't like SSD due to higher chance of data corruption (obviously it is still pretty low)).

It's cheaper, but second hand i'm guessing. I wouldn't buy second hand because you don't get warranty, buy that is just me. I also wouldn't get refurbished like that Inspiron 15R because again, no warranty.

But obviously you are looking at a price compromise which is up to you.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
a friend of mine recommended the last link i posted, hope u are able to translate via google translate or chrome. He says it better and cheaper than the ebay one:eek:

Equivalent GPU. Dunno about cpu, probably similar, not so important. 8GB of DDR3 RAM which is a bit more than 6GB, but not that significant. 20GB SSD, but smaller HDD (700 GB vs 1000 GB).

Cheaper, yes. Better, I wouldn't necessarily say so.

Gokualex

Harvester
ok thank u! Feel free to try to find an even better laptop on ebay if u find time:)!

Thanks again!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Actually that Dell is manufacturer refurbished which comes with 1yr warranty, so I would definitely prefer that.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=767...d=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=820M&_sacat=175672

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=720...=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=8570M&_sacat=175672

Just a couple of searches on newer mid-low range GPUs in the EU. The NVidia 7xx and 8xx series and the Radeon 8xxx GPUs are the new ones, so searching those will generally show new laptops, rather than secondhand. That's how I roll, but you can do whatever.

To reiterate, this is my number one reference:
www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

They have real performance data, i.e. frame rates on many games. So you can get a better idea of what you are dealing with. I'll usually compare benches for a number of games to see if there is a noticeable difference. Other factors affect performance, so don't take them too literally.

Gokualex

Harvester
According to notebookchecknet, NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2gb outperforms AMD™ Radeon HD® 8570M 1GB by quite a bit though